Tribute Your 20 game report card/evaluation of the 23-24 Toronto Maple Leafs

If you could give them a letter grade what would it be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
The problem with JG’s assessment is that they are playing to standard. It’s been 5 yrs since JT arrived and they've been very consistent.
Pretty sure Keefer did not blow a gasket because he is happy with the performance of this team 1/4 into the season.

Lauro

Charlie Conacher
Jun 28, 2008
Berlin
C+.
But I'm happy that they finally seem to have understood that it's not important to play your best hockey in the fall.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
C

This team has been average or below average night in and night out.

Nylander being our only consistent bright spot all season.

This group isnt it. A very good team, but never a great team. A shakeup is needed to get us into contender status. Or we roll with the status quo, and bow out of the playoffs in round 1 or 2 again.
I would put it this way: This group isn't it. A bunch of good players, but never a team.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
C+.
But I'm happy that they finally seem to have understood that it's not important to play your best hockey in the fall.
Yep, a few more weeks of lousy hockey in the fall might just mean there will be NO PLAYOFFS in the spring.

Great call Leafs !!!

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
As a whole - C-
Standings wise - B

A - Nylander
B - Knies, Woll, Robertson, Lagesson, Reilly, Gregor
C - Matthews, Tavares, Jarnkrok, Gio, Bertuzzi, Domi, Benoit
D - Marner, McCabe, Samsonov, Kampf

Bertuzzi and Domi have been better of late.

Reactions: dubplatepressure

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
It seems like yesterday that a certain part of the fan base would grade TOR B+ or higher based on the fact that Dubas was in charge. Has HF toronto fans matured, are they grading Treliving because he's Treliving, or are they grading Dubas an A+ on the PIT board?

Reactions: TheTotalPackage

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Which one?
I guess it depends on what your criteria is.
For me I rank against my expectations, similar to the Team, they are disappointing but still putting up points, so I guess a 'C' , trending towards 'D' if they don't start picking it up.

BrannigansLaw

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
I don't recall such a display of anger on the bench. I think he sees what many fans sees and realizes this is not a very good team.

I loved seeing that from Keefe.

Would have loved it even more if he got right into Matthews and Marner’s faces. Those two turds need a smack upside their heads.

But it’s the same team. Maybe he’s just frustrated.

At least someone on this team showed some emotion and frustration for a change. Usually its just another embarrassing day at the office for these guys.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I guess it depends on what your criteria is.
For me I rank against my expectations, similar to the Team, they are disappointing but still putting up points, so I guess a 'C' , trending towards 'D' if they don't start picking it up.
Fair enough. About what I have, but Mitch a bit lower than Matty.

Reactions: ACC1224

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I loved seeing that from Keefe.

Would have loved it even more if he got right into Matthews and Marner’s faces. Those two turds need a smack upside their heads.

At least someone on this team showed some emotion and frustration for a change. Usually it’s just another embarrassing day at the office for these guys.
Sure, but they can only be as good as their talent and physical ability allows. I don’t expect them to wake up and one day and be different players.

How could anyone grade this a B?
Did you expect more, or less, from them?

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Sure, but they can only be as good as their talent and physical ability allows. I don’t expect them to wake up and one day and be different players.

I expect them to be playoff failures but not this obvious.We haven't looked so weak in a long time. This team is riddled with flaws they won't be easy to fix.

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
Very simply, the team issues are as follows:

Coaching/Systems
Player usage (poorly constructed lines- due to lack of identity)
Defencemen - lack of depth

The problem with our top 6 is that our RW’s play the same style and ditto for our LW’s. This muddles both lines identity.

If handedness did not matter - I think this work much better and give each line an identity.

Nylander Matthews Marner
-speed/rush ability/top end talent/puck possession.

Bertuzzi JT Knies
-heavier line, cycling and good from in close

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
But it’s the same team. Maybe he’s just frustrated.
It’s great to see Keefe screaming. In the face of one of the secondary players but until until he starts scratching or at least benching players include Matthews and Marner when the need it it’s all political theatre

This entire org is in question. Shanaplan?! What plan?
I would grade Shanny at an F-

Reactions: Gary Nylund

The Management

Jun 8, 2009
C+

It feels like we've taken a step back. This team never takes command of a lead and shuts the door. We're constantly either playing from behind or with the score tied. Defensive coverage has been spotty, with few exceptions (Rielly and Brodie). Blueline is banged up, but even when healthy, feels like it needs a serious injection of talent. Matthews and Marner have been streaky, Samsonov lost the net even earlier than we anticipated, and the new additions haven't been particularly good, notably Klingberg and Reaves. Domi and Bertuzzi seem to be settling in, but are we any better with those two guys than we were entering the post-season last year with O'Reilly and Bunting?

Seeing their effort against the Panthers this year on a couple of occasions, the team that banged them up and fed them their lunch last year, has been disappointing, even when they win.

Tavares, Nylander, Rielly, and Gregor have all been good. Brodie, Woll, Knies have been fine.

It feels like we're going to need a course correction in the new year, because while we are scooping up some points, they have been on the back of desperate efforts. The Atlantic is still a brutal division.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
C+

It feels like we've taken a step back. This team never takes command of a lead and shuts the door. We're constantly either playing from behind or with the score tied. Defensive coverage has been spotty, with few exceptions (Rielly and Brodie). Blueline is banged up, but even when healthy, feels like it needs a serious injection of talent. Matthews and Marner have been streaky, Samsonov lost the net even earlier than we anticipated, and the new additions haven't been particularly good, notably Klingberg and Reaves. Domi and Bertuzzi seem to be settling in, but are we any better with those two guys than we were entering the post-season last year with O'Reilly and Bunting?

Seeing their effort against the Panthers this year on a couple of occasions, the team that banged them up and fed them their lunch last year, has been disappointing, even when they win.

Tavares, Nylander, Rielly, and Gregor have all been good. Brodie, Woll, Knies have been fine.

It feels like we're going to need a course correction in the new year, because while we are scooping up some points, they have been on the back of desperate efforts. The Atlantic is still a brutal division.
The way the Leafs are playing will catch up with them soon.Their record could be worse.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Very simply, the team issues are as follows:

Coaching/Systems
Player usage (poorly constructed lines- due to lack of identity)
Defencemen - lack of depth

The problem with our top 6 is that our RW’s play the same style and ditto for our LW’s. This muddles both lines identity.

If handedness did not matter - I think this work much better and give each line an identity.

Nylander Matthews Marner
-speed/rush ability/top end talent/puck possession.

Bertuzzi JT Knies
-heavier line, cycling and good from in close
I'm not sure why you think the RW play the same style. Marner is a slower, pass-first winger with a more peripheral style, always looking for Matty. Nylander is much faster, a better shot, and is more willing to go to the net. The biggest similarity is that they are both excellent passers.

None of Matty, Mitch, and Willy are a physical corner-work type of player, and you really need one on a line.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I expect them to be playoff failures but not this obvious.We haven't looked so weak in a long time. This team is riddled with flaws they won't be easy to fix.
Nothing has changed since the summer and they’re exactly what I expected. In my opinion they were a B grade team going into the season and they have done anything to change my expectations.

BrannigansLaw

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA

Neither do I but they both demand salaries of players expected to be leaders at the very top of the league. one of them is literally the most expensive player in the league.

I want a lot more than the bullshit they’re giving rn so it would be satisfying to see Keefe lay into them though we both know it will make no meaningful difference. They have it way too easy here

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
As a team: players C, coaching D, GM pending.

Individually:
A: Nylander
B: Rielly, Woll, Tavares, Jarnkrok, Bertuzzi, Lagesson
C: Matthews, Knies, Robertson, Giordano, Gregor, Brodie, McMann, Liljegren, Domi, McCabe, Benoit
D: Marner, Klingberg, Kampf, Samsonov
F: Reaves

No rating: Minten, Holmberg, Timmins, Lajoie.

Ratings based largely on performance vs expectations, which explains Lagesson in particular.
Agree with this for the most part.
I’d drop Bertuzzi down to C, and bump Knies, Gregor, Robertson to B.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad