Tribute Your 20 game report card/evaluation of the 23-24 Toronto Maple Leafs

If you could give them a letter grade what would it be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
You know what I REALLY, REALLY laugh at about this? For most of his actual NHL career, Mats Sundin was accused of not caring enough about winning...
So I'm not the only one who remembers how much the fan base hated Sundin because he wasn't a "winner"? The poor bastard spent most of his career here being told he wasn't as good as Gilmour.

Reactions: Auston Escobar

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
Anonymous, shanonymous: D+.

There's an obvious lack in team defence, in the quality of our defence (even when healthy), in our goaltending, and we have a lack of commitment to sacrifice ("toughness"?) for one another, under a coach who seems "fine" (helpless to it?) with it.

A+ as a business model though.

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
You know what I REALLY, REALLY laugh at about this? For most of his actual NHL career, Mats Sundin was accused of not caring enough about winning...
It’s funny because I felt that way for a while too. But in this tweets example, I cant speak for Daniel, but I am talking more of Roberts, Corson and Tucker showed.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
You tried your best and failed miserably.

The lesson is: never try.

Is the team passing? Sure it is. Kinda like how I got through school.

Half assed and half baked.

Just getting the job done. Bare minimum of effort. I didn't try hard at all.

My grades were remarkably similar to the ones on this thread.

I'll give these guys credit. They learned a couple valuable lessons a lot earlier in life than I did. Why give your best effort when a half assed one is good enough for the boss.

And when the going gets tough give up.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
As a team: players C, coaching D, GM pending.

Individually:
A: Nylander
B: Rielly, Woll, Tavares, Jarnkrok, Bertuzzi, Lagesson
C: Matthews, Knies, Robertson, Giordano, Gregor, Brodie, McMann, Liljegren, Domi, McCabe, Benoit
D: Marner, Klingberg, Kampf, Samsonov
F: Reaves

No rating: Minten, Holmberg, Timmins, Lajoie.

Ratings based largely on performance vs expectations, which explains Lagesson in particular.
Marner and Matthews should be in the same group.

The vocal Woodbridge group back in the phone in days, 'give Domi the C'.
Most appreciated everything Sundin brought.

Reactions: therealkoho

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
I gave them a D plus because we have seen nothing that indicates they have made any improvements over the group that has failed in the playoff the last 7 years.
they still have all the same issues and bad habits………only slower

Reactions: Al14

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
B.

Forwards get an A mostly Willy, JT, Knies and partly Matthews.

D gets a C, everyone outside of Mo gets from a D (Klingberg, Brodie) to a B (Lagesson, Benoit, Gio).

Goaltending C-. Woll B Samsonov D.

Coaching C-, bench minors and bullshit lines but the challenge.

Team has 5 ROW but is in the middle-top of the thick. Last two years had higher grades at this point.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I gave them an B

Exactly what I expected they’d be, not a great team, not a horrible team.
Although, remove Nylander and Rielly and we’d be keeping an eye on the top prospects.

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca
I was gonna give them C- but that option wasnt available. Mostly because the team is inconsistent. I don't hate Keefe, but looks like he can't control the team. They come out for long shifts and then gassed when its time to backcheck. 8 Bench minors WTF. No attention to details. Systems are shaky. 1st line is sputtering. Stretch passes, drop passes piss me off. Cant pass for shit.

Reactions: ACC1224

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
I have them a C. This teams time came and went. You won't win anything with no backend when goals get tight. This may be the most mismanaged build I have ever seen. This team was better in Mathews rookie year. It isn't on Keefe but we need a coach who will run some of them out of town. This year looks to be a write off.

It's ironic to see people long for the "heart" of Mats Sundin when for years this fan base crucified that guy for...not having any heart, mostly because he wasn't Doug Gilmour.
I'd rather have Sundin than Mathews.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Anonymous, shanonymous: D+.

There's an obvious lack in team defence, in the quality of our defence (even when healthy), in our goaltending, and we have a lack of commitment to sacrifice ("toughness"?) for one another, under a coach who seems "fine" (helpless to it?) with it.

A+ as a business model though.
Losing every year in the playoffs while dumping all your picks is just dumb.

You tried your best and failed miserably.

The lesson is: never try.

Is the team passing? Sure it is. Kinda like how I got through school.

Half assed and half baked.

Just getting the job done. Bare minimum of effort. I didn't try hard at all.

My grades were remarkably similar to the ones on this thread.

I'll give these guys credit. They learned a couple valuable lessons a lot earlier in life than I did. Why give your best effort when a half assed one is good enough for the boss.

And when the going gets tough give up.
How management can think this team is going anywhere is a bad joke.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
D+ -> the plus is because of Willy, still in playoff spot and captain Morgan playing his heart out every night

1. Your 1C signs a contract that he wanted 13.25 for 4 yrs and still hasnt shown up to play; playing like he is depresssed
2. Marner 11 AAV when is he showing up?
3. Keefe -> not proactive or reactive enough IMO just keeps doing the same crap
4. This is what dragged the score down from C to a D+ -> only 5 regulation wins on the season. That is PATHETIC
This is a very poorly run organization that just doesn't care about the fans.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
B - Nylander, Knies, Gregor, Rielly, Lagesson and Woll.

F - The rest of the team, especially Marner, Kampf, Reaves, Brodie and Samsonov.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
So I'm not the only one who remembers how much the fan base hated Sundin because he wasn't a "winner"? The poor bastard spent most of his career here being told he wasn't as good as Gilmour.
I never expected him to be someone he isn't, that would be dumb. I do wish he would have played for the Leafs with the same passion that he displayed when playing for Team Sweden though.

Team really doesn’t seem all that different than the prior instalments. Lack of urgency and commitment, not serious enough about taking the next step.
Team seems worse than before IMO. Pretty funny to think back on how many people were predicting we'd win the Presidents Trophy propelled by the 120 points money Mitch was going to put up this season. :laugh::laugh:

Reactions: ToneDog

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
This team is not very good but honestly I don’t want Tre bailing them out until they come together and start playing the right way.

Tre had a terrible off-season. Klingberg was not who we needed on our D. Reeves is pretty much done and we gave this tool two more years…. Lastly Domi while he has been okay and likely a little snake bitten we need a proper 3C and signed the exact opposite.

As for our stars and a few kids, with the exception of JT, Nylander, Reilly, Knies and Woll and to a certain degree Robertson it’s been terrible. Am and Marner disappeared in half the games. Sammy has been a mess.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Only a D+ from me.

Expectations for progress in competitiveness and consistency are not being met.

Only 5 regulation wins does NOT reflect that team is aspiring to make the playoffs and go far in the them.

Weak D and goaltending is once again an issue. Our new GM did nothing to address the D problem before the season. Signing Klingberg WAS NOT just what this team needed. And yes, I know we have injury issues on D !!!

This Leafs team is only playing like an average team when the core 4 are paid to dominate all NHL teams.

Losing to bottom feeders/draft lottery teams is totally unacceptable to me.

D+ is it for me till this team, including management, pulls it's collective heads out of their asses !!!

Hogan86

Jun 21, 2016
C

This team has been average or below average night in and night out.

Nylander being our only consistent bright spot all season.

This group isnt it. A very good team, but never a great team. A shakeup is needed to get us into contender status. Or we roll with the status quo, and bow out of the playoffs in round 1 or 2 again.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
I have them a C. This teams time came and went. You won't win anything with no backend when goals get tight. This may be the most mismanaged build I have ever seen. This team was better in Mathews rookie year. It isn't on Keefe but we need a coach who will run some of them out of town. This year looks to be a write off.

I'd rather have Sundin than Mathews.
I was hard on Sundin, however if he were now a Leaf instead of Matthews, our Leafs are likely closer to a Stanley Cup under his leadership.

I bet we would have won a few playoff rounds with Sundin too !!!

Reactions: Ianturnedbull

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Was tempted to give them a D, but gave them a C because I think the roster is pretty bad so they're not playing that far below expectations.

Ultimately, the writing is on the wall that this core doesn't work and I think this is the season where they all see it. You can see it in the play of Matthews and Marner, and our depth are all a bunch of mercenaries gunning for paydays. I think we're going to miss the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad