Tribute Your 20 game report card/evaluation of the 23-24 Toronto Maple Leafs

If you could give them a letter grade what would it be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
I want to see your responses. A letter grade is fine. A longer analysis is welcome too.

Forwards, Goalies, Defense, organizational depth, coaching, the new GM, Shanny, rookies, etc.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Goalies get D. They inspire no confidence in me. Woll and Sammy can make 60 good saves and give up a back breaking goal
Just can't count on them

Marner gets a C-. He's better than that. Simple. Him and Matthews needs to be better

Lagesson gets A+. Not much expected out of him but getting good value in return

Reactions: cupdreaming

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Better than 20 games last year, even with Samsonov trying to tank

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Overall a C sounds right. I would like to grade lower but they are still getting points.

But that's unacceptable at the stage this generation of the Maple Leafs is at.

The way they are playing it would take a miracle to get through one round, nevermind challenge for a cup.

I sincerely hope they can find that miracle, but it's hard not to feel like the cycle of playoff mediocrity will continue.

as Pure as Evil

Sep 18, 2011
Hell, Alberta
B

could be a lot better could be a lot worse. O.t victories still count against tie breakers after row

The good
the kids
woll getting in the deeper end
Knies showing that pf build

I'm not gonna harp on the negatives but we need to get all 3 lines going get some chemistry and familiarity with said line mates.
Feels like we have just stuck with what we set at the start of the season

Sammy needs to get his head straight or he might just find his next offer looking like the 1.3 he made last season

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
C+ is how I see it.

Unperforming but still picking up wins. A d-corps that hasn't once been healthy for the entire 20 games and Samsonov getting off to a poor start leads me to believe there are better days ahead.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
I gave them a C+.

They are not as good as I expected. I thought they might be a team who wins with new emotion and fire power. It's just not like that at all.

It feels like TOR are in perpetual pre-season: line blender, goalies, players getting in shape, coach trying to get his team to capitalize on their strengths, etc.

From what I'm seeing they are no where close to being a good playoff team. I don't even think 2 defensemen at the deadline will change anything.

Good luck. That's about all they can achieve...sadly.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
C+ is how I see it.

Unperforming but still picking up wins. A d-corps that hasn't once been healthy for the entire 20 games and Samsonov getting off to a poor start leads me to believe there are better days ahead.

Plus Matthews and especially Marner getting back to their best again would be a huge help

TakeTheBody

Jan 10, 2018
I voted C. Honestly can't believe our record is what it is. It seems on the ice this team needs to be introduced to one another. We are terrible defensively. No continuity. Good thing Styles was hot early. He carried us. McMann needs to play more. Reaves isn't doing his job when he is on the ice and is a detriment as of now. Personally I've had enough of Keefe, maybe the players have too. The message is not getting through. Brad needs to find us a quality defenseman and pay a price for him. He also needs to think about another coach despite resigning Keefe this summer.
Things can get better, but right now. Not so great.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
D+ -> the plus is because of Willy, still in playoff spot and captain Morgan playing his heart out every night

1. Your 1C signs a contract that he wanted 13.25 for 4 yrs and still hasnt shown up to play; playing like he is depresssed
2. Marner 11 AAV when is he showing up?
3. Keefe -> not proactive or reactive enough IMO just keeps doing the same crap
4. This is what dragged the score down from C to a D+ -> only 5 regulation wins on the season. That is PATHETIC

Reactions: ITM and saffronleaf

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
C… overall.

Nylander, Reilly, Robertson, Lageson, Gregor, Knies have some life in their games. They deserve like a C+ Heck Nylander is an A on another team.

Matthew’s, Domi , Bert and our D core have been hit or miss.

Marner is a big D-
All that cap space. All these years.
1 To still make Mickey Mouse plays leading to give aways.
2 High risk plays when not needed.
3 Falling down and losing edges and becoming out of the play.

4 And wow does this guy get bullied off pucks so easily. Domi is 5’6 and handles the puck better. Everytime he needs to protect it he can’t. League is catching on. Just stiff arm Marner

Hoping for a miracle, but also realistic

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
As a team: players C, coaching D, GM pending.

Individually:
A: Nylander
B: Rielly, Woll, Tavares, Jarnkrok, Bertuzzi, Lagesson
C: Matthews, Knies, Robertson, Giordano, Gregor, Brodie, McMann, Liljegren, Domi, McCabe, Benoit
D: Marner, Klingberg, Kampf, Samsonov
F: Reaves

No rating: Minten, Holmberg, Timmins, Lajoie.

Ratings based largely on performance vs expectations, which explains Lagesson in particular.

Reactions: EquivalentStay

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
Purely on play: D
Purely on record: B-

Nylander, Rielly, Robertson, Lagesson are the 4 guys who are exceeding expectations at this moment. Guys like woll, gio, jarnkrok, knies, Tavares, Gregor are what I expected, everyone else is below expectations

Averages out to probably a C

We are playing like ass, but we have an average record. If they can pull their heads out of their asses could easily see them turning this around

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019

Can't say that I disagree with this.

I think you have to stop expecting that. The sooner you learn that you won’t be getting that level of heart, specifically consistently from this core guys the better. Effort we can expect, and idk how to quantify determination

These guys just won’t pull through with an extra gear physically in the playoffs. Marner will go for the block shots, but he won’t take a hit to make a play or go to the front of the net. Nylander will go to the front of the net, but he won’t block shots or throw any hits. Ditto Tavares. Matthews won’t take a hit to make a play either

What we can expect is more effort, particularly in the ozone.

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
I think you have to stop expecting that. The sooner you learn that you won’t be getting that level of heart, specifically consistently from this core guys the better. Effort we can expect, and idk how to quantify determination

These guys just won’t pull through with an extra gear physically in the playoffs. Marner will go for the block shots, but he won’t take a hit to make a play or go to the front of the net. Nylander will go to the front of the net, but he won’t block shots or throw any hits. Ditto Tavares. Matthews won’t take a hit to make a play either

What we can expect is more effort, particularly in the ozone.
Ohhhh I know this for a fact. You don’t have to tell me. Tell Daniel in that tweet that.

I just agreed with him. I know that this core will never show the heart of that team 20+ years ago. Which is sad.

Reactions: Aashir Mallik

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
I gave C plus.

On the downside:

Only 5 regulation wins.

Goaltending is a serious concern, but I'm hopeful one of Samsonov or Woll will find their game.

Defense is a serious concern.

Matthews and Marner are mediocre.

On the plus side:

Managed to pick up a good number of points.

Knies, Robertson, and Gregor have been fun to watch.

Bertuzzi and Domi are slowly growing on me.

Nylander and Tavares have excelled.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
It's ironic to see people long for the "heart" of Mats Sundin when for years this fan base crucified that guy for...not having any heart, mostly because he wasn't Doug Gilmour.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad