Music: Your 10 Favorite Metal Bands

Say Hey Kid

War, children, it’s just a shot away
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory, GA
OK, nothing personal, but why do you always pawn off digitaldreamdoors music lists as your own? http://digitaldreamdoor.com/pages/best_metal-art.html
Because after you listen to all the albums on the streaming services, they're always right in their taste, they never forget the classics, and they never let never trendiness rule. I've gone dozens deep on lists and have never disagreed with them on anything.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
1. Megadeth
2. Obscure Sphinx
3. The Gathering
4. Iron Maiden
5. In Mourning
6. Ghost Brigade
7. Bathory
8. Elvenking
9. Deströyer 666
10. Persefone (the token wanky prog every list needs :P)

Say Hey Kid

Dec 10, 2007
Bathory, GA
Maybe I'm easy or my age puts me in a good demographic for most post WWII music especially Blues, Jazz, and Soul. They just have a knack. idk how, but they must have a panel of awesome critics or experts or something. If your tastes are similar to mine, try this. Go to Pandora or Spotify and put in your favorite Blues, Jazz, and Soul artists. It's the only thing I listen to when I'm surfing or pc gaming. idk how they do it, but I never hear a song I dislike. Maybe I'm not very selective or weak willed and unable to choose to like or dislike different stuff, but I'm happy.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Everything in the OP except for Pantera is a 100% essential listen for everyone with interest in metal. Can't go wrong with that.

I'd just replace Pantera with Bathory and it would be the perfect metal 101 :P

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
1. Iron Maiden
2. Megadeth
3. Dream Theater
4. Metallica
5. Slayer
6. Judas Priest
7. Black Sabbath
8. The Sword
9. Dio
10. Motörhead

I didn't count stuff like Deep Purple, Thin Lizzy, UFO, etc though I've heard them referred to as heavy metal before

Say Hey Kid

Dec 10, 2007
Bathory, GA

Everything in the OP except for Pantera is a 100% essential listen for everyone with interest in metal. Can't go wrong with that. I'd just replace Pantera with Bathory and it would be the perfect metal 101 :P
That's what I used it for, because I like metal, but I don't know much about it and I like the classic stuff. If you ever wanna hear some funny stuff about Slayer fans, check out comic Jim Breuer. I think it's on the Netflix que. There's just a tiny bit posted above.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
1. Black Sabbath/Ozzy

and then not really in any order as it has changed considerably over the years:

2. Slayer
3. Black Label Society
4. Children of Bodom
5. Battlecross
6. The Black Dahlia Murder
7. Amon Amarth
8. Into Eternity
9. Metallica

After that I guess it'd be one of these: Pantera, Hatebreed, Shadows Fall, All That Remains (childhood friends, can't help it, so sue me), Killswitch Engage, Revocation

Reactions: Kane One

Xelebes

Jun 10, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta
Hm, can't think of many but I will give it a go.

Origin
Devin Townsend Project
Anthrax
Candlemass
Within Temptation

I tend to like metal that has the rhythm down pat. I don't listen to metal for the guitar licks, as sacrilege as that may sound. Guitar licks don't impress me much. What will impress me is if the rhythm guitar and the bass are in complete sync with the drums. Otherwise you have to have an impressive vocalist to overcome everything else.

Disclose

WE GET THAT RENT MONEY
Aug 22, 2007
Montreal
hmm.. in that list i would replace Slayer with Kreator and throw Ozzys solo work in there and im okay. (no order...)
there are bands i like more, but its hard to argue against the variety and influence this 10 bands had on me growing up.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
No particular order among these as such:

The Chasm
Gorguts
Immolation [1991 to 2002]
Timeghoul
Darkthrone [1992 to 1995]
Slayer [1983 to 1988]
Burzum [ 1992 to 1996]
Deathspell Omega [2004 to current]
Skepticism [1995 to 1999]
Evoken [1998 to 2007]
Incantation [1992 to 1998]

HM: Portal, Morbid Angel [1989 to 1993], Molested, Demilich, Bathory [1984 to 1990], Hellhammer, dISEMBOWELMENT, Dolorian, Sabbat [first two albums]

Probably forgot some as well.

Behn Wilson

Mar 14, 2002
Chicago, Il
Visit site
1. Slayer
2. Metallica
3. Iron Maiden
4. Black Sabbath
5. Megadeth
6. Motörhead
7. Testament
8. Exodus
9. Venom
10. Saxon

Original list is pretty good, I would put all of those bands in my top 15-20, maybe change the order a bit

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Timeghoul has 6 songs and they're in your top 10 :laugh::laugh:

I approve

I'm biased toward small discographies consisting of only high quality material, which is why I had to limit the scope of many of the bands on my list. A lot of metal bands don't know when to quit and they end up sullying their own legacy. Like - who really gives a **** about Slayer beyond South Of Heaven?

Anyway, Timeghoul have a few other tracks besides the 6 you're thinking of. On the 2LP version of the 1992-1994 Discography you get a 4-track demo with 3 songs that weren't included on the CD version (Fever of Grief, Imp, Joust Of The Souls) and a rehearsal session with 3 unnamed/unfinished tracks. Those didn't factor into my ranking but they're worth hearing if you weren't aware of them.

Augscura

Oct 3, 2009
Prince George, BC
I'm biased toward small discographies consisting of only high quality material, which is why I had to limit the scope of many of the bands on my list. A lot of metal bands don't know when to quit and they end up sullying their own legacy. Like - who really gives a **** about Slayer beyond South Of Heaven?

Anyway, Timeghoul have a few other tracks besides the 6 you're thinking of. On the 2LP version of the 1992-1994 Discography you get a 4-track demo with 3 songs that weren't included on the CD version (Fever of Grief, Imp, Joust Of The Souls) and a rehearsal session with 3 unnamed/unfinished tracks. Those didn't factor into my ranking but they're worth hearing if you weren't aware of them.

Agreed 100% and no I wasn't aware of those unfinished tracks, I shall check them out thanks! Love me some Timeghoul :)

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown

I listen to Seasons, God Hates Us All, World Painted Blood, and Christ Illusion much more than the first 3 (includes Haunting the Chapel)

Behn Wilson

Mar 14, 2002
Chicago, Il
Visit site

Slayer is still going strong. They had a down period where consecutive albums were not that good Divine Intervention, Undisputed Attitude & Diabolus in Musica though Attitude was punk remakes so I almost don't count that. I have liked all of their albums since then, especially World Painted Blood which is fantastic.

I am looking forward to their next album which Kerry King says he is going to have Gary Holt assist in the writing, that should spice things up some. They are kind of missing some of the haunting tones that Jeff Hanneman would add to the songs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad