Music: Your 10 Favorite Metal Bands

sdf

Jan 23, 2015
Rostov on Don
I like songs that sound cool, like "burn" from "riot" for example, or afraid to shoot strangers with dickinson. When i listen some not melodical metal crap i even not understand why this is good. Yes i know not many about music

left hand path

Oct 29, 2016
autopsy
incantation
dead congregation
maudlin of the well
boris
paysage d'hiver
corrupted
sodom
slough feg
darkthrone

rbochan

I don't listen to metal anymore but...

tomhanks-big-transformer.jpg

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
AC/DC and KISS were considered heavy metal when they started out, but I don't think many consider them metal anymore.

I like some of the 80s "hair" bands, too, like Def Leppard, Ratt, Dokken, Tesla, Cinderella... but I'm not sure they'd be considered metal anymore, either.

So I kept my list strictly bands that I think at least don't start a debate about their metal-ness.

Queensryche
Dream Theater
Judas Priest
Dio
Iron Maiden
Black Sabbath
Testament
Mastodon
Godsmack (enh, maybe not metal)
Ozzy

Last edited:

Hippasus

Feb 17, 2008
Bridgeview
I had to leave a few legit favorites off. I pretty much just went for my favorite metal LPs or EPs but bumped Mayhem down a couple places because I like Darkthrone's and Beherit's bodies of work more.

1. Autopsy
2. Incantation
3. Skepticism
4. Ras Algethi
5. Beherit
6. Darkthrone
7. Mayhem
8. Sepultura
9. Rottrevore
10. Crypt of Kerberos

Last edited:

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Wow, so much metal in my life but to narrow it down to 10 is hard. Plus so many bands I like such as Deftones, Helmet, Faith No More, and Killing Joke have metal elements but are not traditional metal.

1. Metallica
2. Megadeth
3. Black Sabbath
4. Fear Factory
5. Meshuggah
6. Opeth
7. Intronaut
8. Sepultura
9. Dream Theater
10. Corrosion Of Conformity

I also really love albums by Atheist, Queensryche, Slayer, Dysrhythmia, Diamond Head, Judas Priest, Anthrax, Venom, Morbid Angel, Down, Crowbar, Fight, Danzing, Suicudal, etc.

Augscura

Oct 3, 2009
Prince George, BC
No particular order among these as such:

The Chasm
Gorguts
Immolation [1991 to 2002]
Timeghoul
Darkthrone [1992 to 1995]
Slayer [1983 to 1988]
Burzum [ 1992 to 1996]
Deathspell Omega [2004 to current]
Skepticism [1995 to 1999]
Evoken [1998 to 2007]
Incantation [1992 to 1998]

HM: Portal, Morbid Angel [1989 to 1993], Molested, Demilich, Bathory [1984 to 1990], Hellhammer, dISEMBOWELMENT, Dolorian, Sabbat [first two albums]

Probably forgot some as well.

Bumping this thread to see if anyone can top this list

pox

Jan 27, 2006
Edmonton
Snot
Ramstine
Metallica
Godsmack
Killswitch Engage
Amity Aflication
Motörhead
Iron Madin
Amon Amarth
Pantara

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Because after you listen to all the albums on the streaming services, they're always right in their taste, they never forget the classics, and they never let never trendiness rule. I've gone dozens deep on lists and have never disagreed with them on anything.
Maybe I'm easy or my age puts me in a good demographic for most post WWII music especially Blues, Jazz, and Soul. They just have a knack. idk how, but they must have a panel of awesome critics or experts or something. If your tastes are similar to mine, try this. Go to Pandora or Spotify and put in your favorite Blues, Jazz, and Soul artists. It's the only thing I listen to when I'm surfing or pc gaming. idk how they do it, but I never hear a song I dislike. Maybe I'm not very selective or weak willed and unable to choose to like or dislike different stuff, but I'm happy.
This is really interesting/odd. I've always just assumed that you were doing that for the sake of reference, not because you had 100% alignment of preferences with them.

I've always felt Digital Dream Door skewed a bit too heavily towards reception and influence, personally. I view it more of like a Rotten Tomatoes critic aggregate thing.

Augscura

Oct 3, 2009
Prince George, BC
Guess I should also do mine in no particular order:

Gorguts
Death
Augury
Timeghoul
Ulcerate
Blut Aus Nord
Kalmah (2000-2003)
Opeth (1995-2008)
Immolation (1991-2002) still like the newer material but this was their heyday
and not a band but the finnish death metal scene from 89-94 (Demilich, Convulse, Amorphis, Disgrace, Purtenance Depravity, Sentenced, etc)

Last edited:

Butchered

I'm with Kuch
Apr 30, 2004
Not in any order, but if I had to make a list right now...

Opeth
The Contortionist
Alcest
Zao
Fallujah
Nile
Rivers of Nihil
Rings of Saturn
Gorguts
Enslaved

NewtJorden

Unitas est Invicta
Aug 9, 2006
Rimouski
1. King Diamond / Mercyful Fate
2. Motorhead
3. Arch Enemy
4. Black Sabath / Ozzy
5. Iron Maiden
6. Slayer
7. Cradle of Filth
8. Judas Priest
9. Avenged Sevenfold
10. Epica

Behn Wilson

Mar 14, 2002
Chicago, Il
Visit site
Maybe I'm easy or my age puts me in a good demographic for most post WWII music especially Blues, Jazz, and Soul. They just have a knack. idk how, but they must have a panel of awesome critics or experts or something. If your tastes are similar to mine, try this. Go to Pandora or Spotify and put in your favorite Blues, Jazz, and Soul artists. It's the only thing I listen to when I'm surfing or pc gaming. idk how they do it, but I never hear a song I dislike. Maybe I'm not very selective or weak willed and unable to choose to like or dislike different stuff, but I'm happy.

Their lists are generally the mainstream consensus. Someone usually posts a list on their message boards and they take user input and tinker with it and adjust it. So they don't usually throw odd picks in their as click bait or for shock value to generate some controversy like most magazine lists do.

Hippasus

Feb 17, 2008
Bridgeview
Guess I should also do mine in no particular order:

Gorguts
Death
Augury
Timeghoul
Ulcerate
Blut Aus Nord
Kalmah (2000-2003)
Opeth (1995-2008)
Immolation (1991-2011)
and not a band but the finnish death metal scene from 89-94 (Demilich, Convulse, Amorphis, Disgrace, Purtenance Depravity, Sentenced, etc)
Really love their early stuff, but wasn't able to fit them on my list.

Do Melvins count as metal?
Too much rock, blues, and post-punk and-or punk in my opinion. Although they did influence the really slowed-down doom metal that emerged in the early 90s, around when Cathedral did the same.

Last edited:

Augscura

Oct 3, 2009
Prince George, BC
Really ove their early stuff, but wasn't able to fit them on my list.

Too much rock, blues, and post-punk and-or punk in my opinion. Although they did influence the really slowed-down doom metal that emerged in the early 90s, around when Cathedral did the same.

Oh yes, I strictly meant their early material as well as Sentenced and Disgrace

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Cue the "that's not metal" responses.

In no particular order:

Anathema
Pantera
Mastodon
Iron Maiden
Deftones
David Maxim Micic
Chrysalis
Dillinger Escape Plan
Killswitch Engage
Isis

Hard to pick just 10. HM: Protest The Hero, Metallica, SOAD, Opeth, Korn, SikTh

Ben Matlock

Resteriged Uesr
Aug 21, 2007
1. Judas Priest
2. Dio

I'm out. Those are the only ones I have ever really enjoyed that would today be regarded as metal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad