GDT: YoungStars GM 1: Canucks vs. Oilers - 7:30PM PST - Stream - Canucks.Com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saturated Fats

This is water
Jan 24, 2007
Vancouver/Edinburgh
I liked the same guys most of you did: Subban, Gaunce, Hutton... thought Zhukenov had some flashes of skill, but was quiet for much of the night.

Loved JV's hit, but he was pretty quiet on the offensive side. Shinkaruk and Cassels were no-shows.

Neill, Petit, Sautner, Witt & Brisebois did not play well. Not at all.

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
Didn't think that Labate hit was a penalty either, Rankin is looking for the puck in his feet like a moron

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
peen;106728197[B said:
]I like that Rodrigo guy.[/B]

Good poise and strength on the puck.

Gaunce is still awesome.

This board has a lot of Gaunce fans. I'm one of the OG's along with shortshorts. He would be better for the canucks than Vey will be.

Agree that Rodrigo showed some flashes....but can anyone tell my why the Canuck braintrust bring a guy to prospects camp they can't possibly sign to a pro contract?....all you're doing is showcasing him for someone else in the draft.:shakehead

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
I liked the same guys most of you did: Subban, Gaunce, Hutton... thought Zhukenov had some flashes of skill, but was quiet for much of the night.

Loved JV's hit, but he was pretty quiet on the offensive side. Shinkaruk and Cassels were no-shows.

Neill, Petit, Sautner, Witt & Brisebois did not play well. Not at all.

Thought Jake did a lot of good things in the offensive zone but he and Shinkaruk were not on the same page while Cassels was nowhere to be found most of the time. Thought Jake had the puck the most, forechecked hard, and cycled well. No grade A scoring chances but then I don't think I saw anyone hit him with a dangerous pass all night either.

For a first game where almost everyone on our team looked rusty, slow, or just plain bad at hockey, I thought he did his best.

Alexistheman

Jun 28, 2007
Surrey
It's a meaningless young stars tournament
If shinkaruk sucks in training camp I'll whine about him too

Agreed and I thought he looked really strong along the boards, one play where he out muscled Nurse stood out to me. We know he has the skill.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Virtanen is an impact player. Never gonna be the guy you want handling the puck during a cycle but he's just got so many physical gifts that he will create a tone of space for talent laden line mates.

Subban is a stud. Gonna be a good one. He looks insanely explosive this year and I was already impressed last season with his ability to sidestep checkers with ease.

McCann is our prospect with the highest ceiling. Tremendous skill set. Just needs to become a man. What a release and highly creative. I've watched him a tone the last couple years and I'm really high on this kid.

Shinkaruk is a smaller version of Chris Higgins. His ability to cash in on his chances will define how high he can go.

Cassels and Gaunce will be better in a more structured game with bottom 6 roles. NHLers for sure.

Gaunce just continuously impresses me with his smarts and with his shot. He may be the type of guy that plays on your second line and complements more skilled line mates. He always has me thinking "eww" the 1st couple times up and down the ice then he just continues to do things that impress. Such a sleeper.

Hutton has a very impressive tool box (being a college player I've only seen him a few times) his instincts are excellent as is his skating. Looks raw to me ( almost awkward sometimes) but does some intelligent things that separate him from the next tier of guys. Definitely a legit prospect. Should be an interesting one to follow with Utica.

I'm glad I stuck up for Mackenzie Stewart on these forums. I think people forget how much room a guy like Stewart can create for mostly himself and also to a lesser degree teammates. If the guy works his ass off at his skills and drives the net like a maniac.......he's got a legit shot to play in the show. Nobody wants anything to do with a guy like this.

Now I know a lot of you couldn't care less about a mostly enforcer type player that's easily replaceable being used up as a draft pick....but it's really good for all our young bucks to have a guy like this around them as they advance through the system even if it ends in Utica.

The rest of the guys look like massive long shots, way too physically immature or career Minor leaguers at this point.

I'm trying to stay away from using one game as a step off point for negativity (I've watched enough of these tournaments now to not give them much weight) but Lack for Brisebois at this point looks absolutely horrific.

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
Horrible effort. Obviously defense was tragic. Subban, and to a lesser extent Hutton, looked okay but the rest were very poor.

Sautner was no where close to this level and was embarrassing. How did this player ever get offered a contract. You dump McNally and sign this player???? You have to wonder which Western scout saw anything here. Someone should be canned here.

Neill looked like the second second coming off Taylor Ellington. Only thing worst than is puck movement was his skating. Had trouble reversing direction and frequently stumbled when trying to stop when going backwards. Cederholm looked equally a slug.

Brisebois (guy we traded Lack for) looked totally confused and demonstrated almost zero ability to cover around the front of the net.

Given what we have seen its going to be a long season on defense for the Comets.

Gaunce and Virtanen were the only forwards that looked close to having a chance to make the team. Didn't see nearly enough out of Cassels or McCann. Neither showed enough speed.

Thought Zelewski was decent and he should have fairly good season in Utica.

Neither Fox of LaBate skate well enough to be considered true prospects.

Stewart looked clumsy at times but actually showed some promise. Needs a lot of work but given the speed, size and toughness there is something to work with here.

Goaltending would have had to be spectacular to keep the game close but it was far from that. Witt should not make the Comets.

Shinkaruk was a total disappointment and for Lord sake let's not bring up his hip injury. This player must be seen as in bust territory at present. Would say he that any window to move this player for something is shut.

Agreed with most points as usual.

But I think we also need to keep in mind the age difference between prospects.

Prospects like Brisebois and Zhukenov are '97s and they were facing high end talent like Draisaitl '95 and saviour Mcdavid. I cut them some slack.

On the other hand, Zalewski and Hutton are '92 and '93. They really should stand out among players some 5 years younger.

Based on this small sample size, I don't see anyone ready for the NHL.

All our high end prospects have major question marks. My favourite in Boeser is in College. Sigh.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Ugly performance, predictably outclassed by a far superior roster. A few unlucky breaks but didn't deserve to be in the game.

- Virtanen was obviously very noticeable and probably out best forward. Still more style than substance - only one real scoring chance on a nice rush in the 3rd vs. lots of low-percentage shots. Love the way he smashed McDavid.

- Shinkaruk was massively disappointing. Should be destroying this tournament as a 21 y/o #1 pick with a full season in the AHL. Instead looks slower and less dynamic every year. Did nothing tonight.

- Cassels did well defensively against McDavid but didn't accomplish much offensively. Needs to get quicker.

- McCann had a couple flashes but needs to show more. Generally a disappointing effort.

- Gaunce was his usual quiet effective self and picked up 2 points. No flash but always in the right place. Good start for him.

- Fox did a couple little things but still can't skate. Also took a dumb penalty.

- 3rd line did little. Zhukenov showed a decent compete level but looked small, not very quick, and not very effective. Zalewski was ok but isn't really a prospect anymore. Labate had a couple ok shifts early but then disappeared after a BS penalty was called against him.

- Pettit is a slug. Abols showed better than any of our 2015 draft picks but it's pointless since we can't sign him. Stewart actually had a good physical game and a good fight but the play predictably died every time it touched his stick. Does have slightly more hope as a forward.

- Subban was easily our best player. Made a clear statement to Green that he looks to be a top-4 guy in Utica this year. Skated miles and played with confidence and swagger all night. Hutton was also solid aside from the very unlucky own goal. Nice to see him rewarded with a goal although not sure what he was doing in front of the net there.

- every other defender was putrid. Neill got absolutely walked on the 1-0 goal and didn't get any better. Looks smaller than listed, can't skate, position ally terrible. Sautner should never have received an NHL contract and showed why. Cederholm trundled around uselessly. And Brisebois looked like a confused little kid. Obviously very young but not a good start at all.

- ECHL goalie looked like an ECHL goalie, although obviously not helped by his defence.

Hopefully they can go a bit better against weaker teams in the next couple days.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
I didn't think Subban was as good as most of you. His puck skills and skating ability looked great but I didn't like how he was so aggressive on the rush. It's like he was trying to play like Karlsson but he's nowhere near as good. Still a solid showing for him, though, he was better than I thought he'd be.

I thought Hutton was our best D-man overall. Really liked how he took the body when McDavid was coming down on him fast early in the game.

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
Ugly performance, predictably outclassed by a far superior roster. A few unlucky breaks but didn't deserve to be in the game.

- Virtanen was obviously very noticeable and probably out best forward. Still more style than substance - only one real scoring chance on a nice rush in the 3rd vs. lots of low-percentage shots. Love the way he smashed McDavid.

- Shinkaruk was massively disappointing. Should be destroying this tournament as a 21 y/o #1 pick with a full season in the AHL. Instead looks slower and less dynamic every year. Did nothing tonight.

- Cassels did well defensively against McDavid but didn't accomplish much offensively. Needs to get quicker.

- McCann had a couple flashes but needs to show more. Generally a disappointing effort.

- Gaunce was his usual quiet effective self and picked up 2 points. No flash but always in the right place. Good start for him.

- Fox did a couple little things but still can't skate. Also took a dumb penalty.

- 3rd line did little. Zhukenov showed a decent compete level but looked small, not very quick, and not very effective. Zalewski was ok but isn't really a prospect anymore. Labate had a couple ok shifts early but then disappeared after a BS penalty was called against him.

- Pettit is a slug. Abols showed better than any of our 2015 draft picks but it's pointless since we can't sign him. Stewart actually had a good physical game and a good fight but the play predictably died every time it touched his stick. Does have slightly more hope as a forward.

- Subban was easily our best player. Made a clear statement to Green that he looks to be a top-4 guy in Utica this year. Skated miles and played with confidence and swagger all night. Hutton was also solid aside from the very unlucky own goal. Nice to see him rewarded with a goal although not sure what he was doing in front of the net there.

- every other defender was putrid. Neill got absolutely walked on the 1-0 goal and didn't get any better. Looks smaller than listed, can't skate, position ally terrible. Sautner should never have received an NHL contract and showed why. Cederholm trundled around uselessly. And Brisebois looked like a confused little kid. Obviously very young but not a good start at all.

- ECHL goalie looked like an ECHL goalie, although obviously not helped by his defence.

Hopefully they can go a bit better against weaker teams in the next couple days.

agreed with everything except Virtanen being our best forward. Gaunce was our best by a decent margin.

Virtanen was most noticeable yes because of his physical play. But he was subpar imo aside from the hits. I hope we didn't use a 6th OV to draft a bottom 6 banger.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Really trying not to read too much into this one isolated game.

Trying.

But I want Subban on the team. I've liked the hell out of that kid ever since I saw him in preseason action. Sure he's small, but damn.

Please Shinkaruk, show me why I liked you so much in preseasons past.

Fire Delorme. Better yet, build a time machine, go back a decade and fire him then.

Mofletz

Aug 28, 2006
It's amazing how critical people can get for the first game after summer in a meaningless tournament
Especially for a guy like Shinkaruk who doesn't exactly need to showcase himself

Disagree. The only player in this tournament that doesn't need to showcase himself is McDavid.

If this was just a "warm up" game why would Linden and co. show up??

If I'm part of the management group, I'm looking for any positive signs from the prospects.
The training camp already started for this guys. Their job auditions started today. Valk got himself a contract.

From todays results the management team feels good about some players and they feel disappointed with others. It also shows that some of the prospects didn't take their summer training seriously when they look the same as last year.

Gaunce, Virtanen, Subban, heck even Stewart get a +1.

Hunter -1.

Hunter is on the same path as Jensen.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
I'm gonna be extremely lazy and work off of this solid breakdown by sting....

Virtanen is an impact player. Never gonna be the guy you want handling the puck during a cycle but he's just got so many physical gifts that he will create a tone of space for talent laden line mates.

Love his style. Happy to see a couple quality cycles tonight... But killed a few others. So my dream of him miraculously gelling with the twins and creating a depth push down effect lives another night.

Subban is a stud. Gonna be a good one. He looks insanely explosive this year and I was already impressed last season with his ability to sidestep checkers with ease.

So confident with the puck. That will gear down in the A, and then again in the NHL.. Hopefully his development keeps pace to the increasing skill levels.

McCann is our prospect with the highest ceiling. Tremendous skill set. Just needs to become a man. What a release and highly creative. I've watched him a tone the last couple years and I'm really high on this kid.

His speed was awesome in flashes in the latter half of the gm... His hardest shot tonight unfortunately led to a g the other way... His hands were on display on I think the 1st PP of the gm... Can't wait to see him at the WJrs..

Shinkaruk is a smaller version of Chris Higgins. His ability to cash in on his chances will define how high he can go.

I'm right with the other guy earlier that thought he was good tonight. He, however, failed to standout... But he wasn't sub-par by any means absolutely speaking. relatively speaking, yeah.

Cassels and Gaunce will be better in a more structured game with bottom 6 roles. NHLers for sure.

Gaunce just continuously impresses me with his smarts and with his shot. He may be the type of guy that plays on your second line and complements more skilled line mates. He always has me thinking "eww" the 1st couple times up and down the ice then he just continues to do things that impress. Such a sleeper.

Gaunce seemed very efficient with his skating.. Looked like he was cruising around the 1st period... But he definitely remained consistent with those comments he once made about how some players skate like the wind but don't actually accomplish anything out there... He definitely showed the IQ of when to turn it on... This guy could be a gem.

Cassels was where I thought he'd be... Needs to develop in the A. Foot speed is a detriment and will be his prime obstacle to the next level.

Hutton has a very impressive tool box (being a college player I've only seen him a few times) his instincts are excellent as is his skating. Looks raw to me ( almost awkward sometimes) but does some intelligent things that separate him from the next tier of guys. Definitely a legit prospect. Should be an interesting one to follow with Utica.

Pretty much agree... Although I still can't figure out why he remained down low at crease level on the goal he scored.. Ha ha... Paid off, but whoa.

I'm glad I stuck up for Mackenzie Stewart on these forums. I think people forget how much room a guy like Stewart can create for mostly himself and also to a lesser degree teammates. If the guy works his ass off at his skills and drives the net like a maniac.......he's got a legit shot to play in the show. Nobody wants anything to do with a guy like this.

Now I know a lot of you couldn't care less about a mostly enforcer type player that's easily replaceable being used up as a draft pick....but it's really good for all our young bucks to have a guy like this around them as they advance through the system even if it ends in Utica.

Pleased with his game tonight. Loved his wheels.

I wonder how many other 7th rounders from 2014 are looking like they'll be in the A this yr.
I'm happy he displayed that he actually earned his contract after being foo fooed by people staring at hockeydb. And it's pretty well documented who those people are.
Was I the only one wondering if he could even hear what Moroz was saying to him the box?
Great story.. Great on ice debut for me! (My first game viewing of him.... And I can guarantee I'm not alone)

Serac

#HFOutcasts
Jun 27, 2014
B.C.
Pleased with his game tonight. Loved his wheels.

I wonder how many other 7th rounders from 2014 are looking like they'll be in the A this yr.
I'm happy he displayed that he actually earned his contract after being foo fooed by people staring at hockeydb. And it's pretty well documented who those people are.
Was I the only one wondering if he could even hear what Moroz was saying to him the box?
Great story.. Great on ice debut for me! (My first game viewing of him.... And I can guarantee I'm not alone)

Count me as one who is shocked at Stewart
I wasn't down on him like others as much if I recall, but I will admit I very, very much wanted Spencer Watson

Stewart is definitely a good story and I hope he can keep putting things together
Could be a solid 7th round pick

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
When Stewart picked Moroz up and tossed him down after taking a couple of solid shots, I was very impressed with his raw strength. Here's to hoping he shows something else besides.

StrictlyCommercial

Oct 28, 2006
Vancouver
Not sure if the Stewart praise is based on expectations, but he had a lot of trouble reading the play. Hitting and skating are good, but he'll need to not be a liability to stick in the AHL this year.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Gaunce has been pretty damn close to being the best prospect/player over each of the past 3 Youngstars/Training Camps/Preseasons. If there's any justice, the guy SHOULD get at least a sniff.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Very disappointed to hear Shink is trending towards Bustville.......just like Jensen :cry: :shakehead

This is his make or break year

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Not sure if the Stewart praise is based on expectations, but he had a lot of trouble reading the play. Hitting and skating are good, but he'll need to not be a liability to stick in the AHL this year.

Ditto here. Thought he didn't do much hockey playing, more just skating around looking to be physical.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad