GDT: YoungStars GM 1: Canucks vs. Oilers - 7:30PM PST - Stream - Canucks.Com

Status
Not open for further replies.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Horrible effort. Obviously defense was tragic. Subban, and to a lesser extent Hutton, looked okay but the rest were very poor.

Sautner was no where close to this level and was embarrassing. How did this player ever get offered a contract. You dump McNally and sign this player???? You have to wonder which Western scout saw anything here. Someone should be canned here.

Neill looked like the second second coming off Taylor Ellington. Only thing worst than is puck movement was his skating. Had trouble reversing direction and frequently stumbled when trying to stop when going backwards. Cederholm looked equally a slug.

Brisebois (guy we traded Lack for) looked totally confused and demonstrated almost zero ability to cover around the front of the net.

Given what we have seen its going to be a long season on defense for the Comets.

Gaunce and Virtanen were the only forwards that looked close to having a chance to make the team. Didn't see nearly enough out of Cassels or McCann. Neither showed enough speed.

Thought Zelewski was decent and he should have fairly good season in Utica.

Neither Fox of LaBate skate well enough to be considered true prospects.

Stewart looked clumsy at times but actually showed some promise. Needs a lot of work but given the speed, size and toughness there is something to work with here.

Goaltending would have had to be spectacular to keep the game close but it was far from that. Witt should not make the Comets.

Shinkaruk was a total disappointment and for Lord sake let's not bring up his hip injury. This player must be seen as in bust territory at present. Would say he that any window to move this player for something is shut.

ihaveyuidonttouchme

MrShiftbyShiftGuy
Feb 21, 2009
Vancouver
www.youtube.com
Sautner was no where close to this level and was embarrassing. How did this player ever get offered a contract. You dump McNally and sign this player???? You have to wonder which Western scout saw anything here. Someone should be canned here.

ditto on that
i mean i'd rather have kept the other guy than Sautner....that was just super facepalming move

wat was ur take on Zhukenov?

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
I like that Rodrigo guy.

Good poise and strength on the puck.

Gaunce is still awesome.

This board has a lot of Gaunce fans. I'm one of the OG's along with shortshorts. He would be better for the canucks than Vey will be.

Serac

#HFOutcasts
Jun 27, 2014
B.C.
It's amazing how critical people can get for the first game after summer in a meaningless tournament
Especially for a guy like Shinkaruk who doesn't exactly need to showcase himself

This is more of a warm up game, to get ready for training camp for the very vast majority of these guys

GPNuck

Nov 25, 2013
Goalie was horrible Defence was horrible.. I really hate that Lack trade but I really liked Hutton Subban the Latvian kid of Course JV and i liked Cassels and MCcann aswell they Cassels has some very tricky hands and moves I wasn't aware he has the guy has the patience of Job out there

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Gaunce and Subban looked like our best players and Jake has an okay game. Most guys had spurts but overall I was most disappointed with Shinkaruk, Cassels, McCann, and Bresbois. Thought Abols has a strong first period and showed some nice drive. Definitely someone to keep an eye on.

Anyway, it's a meaningless game and it's not the end of any of these guys' careers but I would like to see a better effort from some guys against the Jets and Flames.

Last edited:

VibinCanuck

No doubt about it, I am ready to get hurt again
Sep 13, 2014
Vancouver
Something I noticed looking at the box score.

The Canucks managed to out shoot the Oilers.

And honestly this game came down to having a bad goaltender, bad defence and some bad luck (3 redirections of Canuck defence)

It's not the end of the world. The team isn't built around future prospects but the notable ones all looked good with some growth (notably Virtanen, Subban, Gaunce and McCann for me)

Bad games happen and we knew the Canucks would have the worst team at the tournament. No need to freak out, just forget about it and move on to the next game, clean slate. (Let's see how Green gets the team to adapt in 2 days)

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
It's amazing how critical people can get for the first game after summer in a meaningless tournament
Especially for a guy like Shinkaruk who doesn't exactly need to showcase himself

This is more of a warm up game, to get ready for training camp for the very vast majority of these guys

Why wouldn't Shinkaruk need to show case himself? Guy had a rocky AHL year he should absolutely show something

Especially in run and gun sloppy games like these

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Yeah totally, I felt bad for Witt. That's got to not feel good to be shelled playing the best prospects in the world when you're middling NCAA goalie earmarked to fight for a job in the ECHL.

The thing that worries me is the Young Stars tournament really means nothing. Unless a player is dominating, they don't have a lot of potential. Last year Curtis Valk looked like Martin St. Louis in the tournament and wound up in the ECHL. Tonight I would say only Virtanen and Subban were playing up that level and with that consistency.

Horvat didn't dominate.

Tournament is a warm up to training camp, not a crystal ball.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Horrible effort. Obviously defense was tragic. Subban, and to a lesser extent Hutton, looked okay but the rest were very poor.

Neill looked like the second second coming off Taylor Ellington. Only thing worst than is puck movement was his skating. Had trouble reversing direction and frequently stumbled when trying to stop when going backwards. Cederholm looked equally a slug.

Brisebois (guy we traded Lack for) looked totally confused and demonstrated almost zero ability to cover around the front of the net.

Given what we have seen its going to be a long season on defense for the Comets.

Gaunce and Virtanen were the only forwards that looked close to having a chance to make the team. Didn't see nearly enough out of Cassels or McCann. Neither showed enough speed.

Thought Zelewski was decent and he should have fairly good season in Utica.

Neither Fox of LaBate skate well enough to be considered true prospects.

Stewart looked clumsy at times but actually showed some promise. Needs a lot of work but given the speed, size and toughness there is something to work with here.

Goaltending would have had to be spectacular to keep the game close but it was far from that. Witt should not make the Comets.

Shinkaruk was a total disappointment and for Lord sake let's not bring up his hip injury. This player must be seen as in bust territory at present. Would say he that any window to move this player for something is shut.

It warms my heart to read an orcatown game recap. I know real hockey's on its way again.

:D

KDizzle

Aug 25, 2005
Bay Area

Doesn't need to showcase himself? If he's at all intending to make the big club, don't you think standing out amongst younger players is a prerequisite to getting a sniff at the NHL?

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Honestly way to much criticism of Shink on here. He actually had a decent game. Battle down low against Nurse along the boards and won puck battle twice against him on the same shift than took the puck to the net. Brought the puck out from behind the net on three different occasions to create jam plays as he had others in front on top of the crease. Was in good position to receive passes from JV all night in the offensive zone but Jake would rather throw a bad angle shot on net than dump the puck to the opposite corner to where Shink would have free space. Made a nice shifty play along the blue line with a sneaky pass between a guys feet to an open player who did nothing with the puck. He got a lot better. As the game went on. But by all means we need more from him.
I agree. I thought Shink wasn't bad at all

VibinCanuck

No doubt about it, I am ready to get hurt again
Sep 13, 2014
Vancouver
Agreed with Orcatown, the only forwards that look NHL ready are Gaunce and Virtanen.

I can see Gaunce being the first call up when injuries occur. And if some deadline deals open up roster spots he can end the season in the NHL.

He certainly has the size, hockey IQ and greater fitness than in the past.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Why wouldn't Shinkaruk need to show case himself? Guy had a rocky AHL year he should absolutely show something

Especially in run and gun sloppy games like these

Doesn't need to showcase himself? If he's at all intending to make the big club, don't you think standing out amongst younger players is a prerequisite to getting a sniff at the NHL?

Exactly. Shinkaruk has a LOT to prove and for him it should start here. If he doesnt take a huge leap forward this year he'll be on the verge of busting.

ShouldveDraftedFiala

Feb 20, 2007
Subban was by far the best player for us. NHL level skating already, and surprisingly effective on defense. Looks like we have a gem here.

Virtanen had a good game. Physical and noticeable. I still doubt his ability to become a top 6 player, but his size and physicality should get him a bottom 6 role at some point.

Guance looked solid. Zhukenov looks intriguing, I see potential. Same with Brisebois, but clearly needs a lot more development. Shinkaruk was decent, but I think at this point we need to see more from him. Maybe a more prominent role in Utica will help him.

Hutton had moments, I'll be keeping an eye on him to see how to responds to some of his mistakes he made.

Cassels had a pretty quiet night, as did McCann. I want to see more out of them.

Bobs your uncle

Sep 18, 2003
Canada
Shinkaruk better start showing something, anything to merit his draft selection.
Outside of Stewart's & Virtanen's physical play, on the whole I was disappointed by this game & the team.

Serac

#HFOutcasts
Jun 27, 2014
B.C.
It's a meaningless young stars tournament
If shinkaruk sucks in training camp I'll whine about him too

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad