GDT: YoungStars GM 1: Canucks vs. Oilers - 7:30PM PST - Stream - Canucks.Com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
You basically summed up the highlights for me. Virtanen, Subban, Gaunce and Stewart (!!!) were the guys I came away with positive impressions of. Zhukenov, Fox and McCann had little moments interspersed throughout, but also bad ones.

The standout bad performances were Hutton, Sautner and Brisebois for me. Actually, pretty well everyone defensively apart from Subban.

I felt bad for Witt. He wasn't spectacular, but he was certainly better than the scoreboard showed. And his team was playing fire drill defense.

Yeah totally, I felt bad for Witt. That's got to not feel good to be shelled playing the best prospects in the world when you're middling NCAA goalie earmarked to fight for a job in the ECHL.

The thing that worries me is the Young Stars tournament really means nothing. Unless a player is dominating, they don't have a lot of potential. Last year Curtis Valk looked like Martin St. Louis in the tournament and wound up in the ECHL. Tonight I would say only Virtanen and Subban were playing up that level and with that consistency.

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
Also is it my imagination or is Shinkaruk really slow? He seemed about two or three strides behind the play tonight and just really was never in a position to do anything.

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
Agree, unfortunately. I had hopes for him, but they're quickly fading.

I don't want to go off the rails or anything, but he showed none of the game he looked to be developing towards the end of last season. I'm actually surprised by how poor his game looked. Zero chemistry ... which is how the whole team looked to be honest.

McCann has some speed and was good on the PK. I must have missed what others saw in him. Cassels ... I didn't see much there either.

That said, when most of your defense pairings play like that, what can you do?

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Also is it my imagination or is Shinkaruk really slow? He seemed about two or three strides behind the play tonight and just really was never in a position to do anything.

Honestly felt like a lot of guys on both teams were kind of coasting. You could see them turn on the jets in brief spurts. But by and large, I think a lot of guys are going through the motions.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
What the hell happened to Shinkaruk? I remember preseason games last year and the season before, and I was really happy about his creativity with the puck and willingness to battle down low. Now? Who's this guy? Damn, dude.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Realize it's early, and only one game, but Travis Green can't like what he was seeing....going to be some very long nights in Utica this year, unless the Canucks surround some of these error-prone kids with some seasoned AHL vets.:help:

leftwinglockdown

Dude Guy
Apr 29, 2011
Canada
Yeah quite worried about him. Kinda need him to not bust.

We shouldn't be surprised though. If we go back and watch his junior highlights, you would be able to guess that his game wouldn't translate to the NHL. He had way more open ice and that's kinda what his game depends on.

The checking seems to be too tight for him in the professional leagues. Even in the AHL, he can't do the things he was doing in junior. He has to adapt and change his game up else he's going to bust because he can't be anything else but a scorer.

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
Realize it's early, and only one game, but Travis Green can't like what he was seeing....going to be some very long nights in Utica this year, unless the Canucks surround some of these error-prone kids with some seasoned AHL vets.:help:

The Canucks future. heh.

Powder

Watch out, I bite.
Mar 14, 2011
Somewhere Up North
More precise judgment will come when training camp begins. As for this tourney, just try and enjoy the high points. Like others have pointed out, allstars have looked like ECHLers and ECHLer have looked like allstars. Tough to pinpoint which is which.

Key note: hockey is back.

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
Virtanen's ability to reverse a hit is the best I've seen from any player

how he doo it

It's that low center of gravity I tell ya. He has the opposite of Mason Raymond syndrome.

I expect to see him for more than 9 games this year as he's showing he can contribute in the bottom six.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
More precise judgment will come when training camp begins. As for this tourney, just try and enjoy the high points. Like others have pointed out, allstars have looked like ECHLers and ECHLer have looked like allstars. Tough to pinpoint which is which.

Key note: hockey is back.

This is true. Just got a lot of pent-up hockey hand-wringing to do. :laugh:

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
We shouldn't be surprised though. If we go back and watch his junior highlights, you would be able to guess that his game wouldn't translate to the NHL. He had way more open ice and that's kinda what his game depends on.

The checking seems to be too tight for him in the professional leagues. Even in the AHL, he can't do the things he was doing in junior. He has to adapt and change his game up else he's going to bust because he can't be anything else but a scorer.

Well I guess it's a good bet, bust or boom.
Hopefully he figures it out asap.

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
Yeah quite worried about him. Kinda need him to not bust.

With Baertchi now in, Hunter's less of a need to succeed.

I have no expectations on him than a career AHLer. Anyone know how common it is for a comparable skill set to find a way to turn it around from where Shrinkuk is at this point ?

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
what...Hutton and Subban were the only pair worth to note for being good in that game
Sautner and Brisebois were just on another level

Disappointing the defense was one pairing deep. Guess we should get used to it for when the big club plays it will be the same.

Forwards were pretty meh, some nice nice solo plays by Jake, Gaunce quietly effective, Fox still too slow.Shinkaruk, yeah not good. Shame the days of the 5 min/game 5 points/year goon are over or Stewart might have had a hope.

The Poacher

Dec 30, 2010
Pitt Meadows
Honestly way to much criticism of Shink on here. He actually had a decent game. Battle down low against Nurse along the boards and won puck battle twice against him on the same shift than took the puck to the net. Brought the puck out from behind the net on three different occasions to create jam plays as he had others in front on top of the crease. Was in good position to receive passes from JV all night in the offensive zone but Jake would rather throw a bad angle shot on net than dump the puck to the opposite corner to where Shink would have free space. Made a nice shifty play along the blue line with a sneaky pass between a guys feet to an open player who did nothing with the puck. He got a lot better. As the game went on. But by all means we need more from him.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
What the hell happened to Shinkaruk? I remember preseason games last year and the season before, and I was really happy about his creativity with the puck and willingness to battle down low. Now? Who's this guy? Damn, dude.

Playing in a grind role during his first season in the ahl is what happen. Playing a grinder role made him less creative IMO. They should have let him focus on Offence cause he a one way winger that shouldn't have been crashing and banging

ihaveyuidonttouchme

MrShiftbyShiftGuy
Feb 21, 2009
Vancouver
www.youtube.com
Honestly way to much criticism of Shink on here. He actually had a decent game. Battle down low against Nurse along the boards and won puck battle twice against him on the same shift than took the puck to the net. Brought the puck out from behind the net on three different occasions to create jam plays as he had others in front on top of the crease. Was in good position to receive passes from JV all night in the offensive zone but Jake would rather throw a bad angle shot on net than dump the puck to the opposite corner to where Shink would have free space. Made a nice shifty play along the blue line with a sneaky pass between a guys feet to an open player who did nothing with the puck. He got a lot better. As the game went on. But by all means we need more from him.

i htought his board work was pretty good too..ditto on that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad