Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
We still win the tournament right...?

Technically I suppose.

Oilers 2-0-1
Jets 1-2-0

The Flames/Canucks both have regulation losses and we beat both of them anyway, so it doesn't matter who wins that game this evening.

I don't think there is ever actually a tournament winner though. Really more a series of exhibition games.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Hes a project. If he gets a cup of coffee in NHL thats actually a fairly solid career for a 6th rounder (even as good as he looked in WHL). Of our lesser prospects, id say only Laleggia and maybe Jones have top 4 potential. But thats the case with most D prospects

To be honest I don't think he even gets a cup of coffee, that's basically best case scenario in my mind. He is just too lacking in too many areas. Seems like many other people think he can carve out a career as a bottom-pairing guy though and that's what I don't agree with.

McTrashBoat

Show me the deed
Nov 28, 2014
Meh I'm happy, we did pretty good for having 4 of our top 5 guys out.

And damn 3 on 3 this year is going to be crazy :D

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Betker is a guy I don't like as much as most around here. I don't see him ever getting more than a cup of coffee in the NHL.

Betker to me did nothing but take a bunch of penalties. Very unimpressed with his play. Slow pylon. Even at rookie level he's reduced to ashes. Doesn't bode well for any pro play.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Betker to me did nothing but take a bunch of penalties. Very unimpressed with his play. Slow pylon. Even at rookie level he's reduced to ashes. Doesn't bode well for any pro play.

He's like a smarter Alex Plante with less offensive upside... but Plante was absolutely horrible, so that isn't really saying much.

He's definitely going to need a lot of good development to turn into a good pro (at any level).

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
3 on 3 is such an awful format and even more so in a game which seemingly had more 4 on 4 action than full strength.

You can't cover ice adequately with 3 skaters. Just makes it look like a halfcourt press game. I'd have no problem with this gimmick as a pick up game decider but in pro hockey? C'mon. This is a poor way to settle results. I'm not a shootout fan either. Move back to regular season tie games rather than this ****.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
To be honest I don't think he even gets a cup of coffee, that's basically best case scenario in my mind. He is just too lacking in too many areas. Seems like many other people think he can carve out a career as a bottom-pairing guy though and that's what I don't agree with.

I dont think hes terrible, he still has encouraging junior career. 4 summer games doesnt erase that. Hell need to be in AHL for 2 or 3 years and we might have a player

However Jones/Bear/Laleggia/Davidson/Osterle/ even musil/lagesson all have either more potential or are much better current D. Well be fine if he doesnt turn out

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
3 on 3 is such an awful format and even more so in a game which seemingly had more 4 on 4 action than full strength.

You can't cover ice adequately with 3 skaters. Just makes it look like a halfcourt press game. I'd have no problem with this gimmick as a pick up game decider but in pro hockey? C'mon. This is a poor way to settle results. I'm not a shootout fan either. Move back to regular season tie games rather than this ****.

Tie is probably my last resort, but yeah 3 on 3 is a joke.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
He's like a smarter Alex Plante... but Plante was absolutely horrible, so that isn't really saying much.

He's definitely going to need a lot of good development to turn into a good pro (at any level).

Way too slow. tbh some players after a look like this would reassess and decide whether theres something else they should be doing to try earn a living than hockey. I know that's the harshest assessment but sometimes just realistic. Trouble for Betker is all he's got is size. From appearances he's a poor skater so not even suited to European play.

I didn't detect any smarts in Betkers play either. That said I had trouble discerning anything he does well.

oilz89*

He's been getting better each training camp. Project player but I think we have a player with him.

oilz89*

I dont think hes terrible, he still has encouraging junior career. 4 summer games doesnt erase that. Hell need to be in AHL for 2 or 3 years and we might have a player

However Jones/Bear/Laleggia/Davidson/Osterle/ even musil/lagesson all have either more potential or are much better current D. Well be fine if he doesnt turn out

To me, Davidson is a full time NHLer this year

oilz89*

Way too slow. tbh some players after a look like this would reassess and decide whether theres something else they should be doing to try earn a living than hockey. I know that's the harshest assessment but sometimes just realistic. Trouble for Betker is all he's got is size. From appearances he's a poor skater so not even suited to European play.

I didn't detect any smarts in Betkers play either. That said I had trouble discerning anything he does well.

You must be a master at detecting smarts :sarcasm:

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
To me, Davidson is a full time NHLer this year

I think he is too. Hell be a bottom pairing career NHLer, but thats still valuable. Davidson was very good in AHL and proved well in NHL

If Betker tops out at Davidsons current play thatll be a win

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
You must be a master at detecting smarts :sarcasm:

jk aside what does he do well. I was asking. I don't know much of anything about this player. The play I saw from him in this tournament was poor. He was slow, got walked countless times and took a lot of penalties and gave up a lot of scoring chances.

Anybody can fill me in on what the player does well. I don't see him reading or reacting to whats going on. I see him steps behind a lot of the plays occurring.

oilz89*

I think he is too. Hell be a bottom pairing career NHLer, but thats still valuable. Davidson was very good in AHL and proved well in NHL

If Betker tops out at Davidsons current play thatll be a win

Yup. Good story with Davidson too. Great guy

oilz89*

jk aside what does he do well. I was asking. I don't know much of anything about this player. The play I saw from him in this tournament was poor. He was slow, got walked countless times and took a lot of penalties and gave up a lot of scoring chances.

Anybody can fill me in on what the player does well. I don't see him reading or reacting to whats going on. I see him steps behind a lot of the plays occurring.

He does the little things well. Not great offensively but he's also the type of player you don't notice out there. If you don't then that's a good thing. He had a rough 3rd period with the 2 penalties but I think those were the only 2 in the tournament for him. He's come a long way from his first season in junior which is why he's one to watch

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
The only player I've lost all hope on is moroz which sucks.

I hope he has a Lander like resurgence where everybody writes him off but he then returns from the dead

Although Lander was lighting up the A too

I hope we dont sacrifice playing time to promising prospects to try a revive a failing 2nd rounder

A guy like Winquist IMO has more potential (better in the A last year) and Platzer/Chase and even some AHL only guys that could use ice time

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Although good on them for not getting destroyed by the Jets rookies who featured all the big guns. It took LD going beast mode to prevent, but the other guys showed wellish too. I actually thought itd be a blood bath

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
It just seems hilarious to me after all the time we spent drafting for size most of our good depth forward prospects are 6 feet or smaller.

Not Robin Brownlee

The docile tones!
Nov 17, 2008
I thought the 3 on 3 was exciting, imagine that with actual pros. Reminded me of that 3 on 3 video game that came with NHL12 or whatever, minus the crazy hitting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese