GDT: Young Stars Game 3! Oilers vs Jets 12:30 PM MT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
It just seems hilarious to me after all the time we spent drafting for size most of our good depth forward prospects are 6 feet or smaller.

Thats normally the way it is. Imagine all the prospects we could have had from 2006 on... atleast now we are smart

More Platzers, less Abney/Morozs

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
It just seems hilarious to me after all the time we spent drafting for size most of our good depth forward prospects are 6 feet or smaller.

Just goes to show that it's pointless to draft for size. You draft for skill and trade for size if you need to. Obviously if you have two even players and the other guy is bigger then you take him but drafting for size very rarely turns out well, especially in todays NHL, but it's something that many GMs still haven't quite understood.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Way too slow. tbh some players after a look like this would reassess and decide whether theres something else they should be doing to try earn a living than hockey. I know that's the harshest assessment but sometimes just realistic. Trouble for Betker is all he's got is size. From appearances he's a poor skater so not even suited to European play.

Think you're getting a bit of a head of yourself on this bit lol. He's just 21. Lots of time to figure out if he can make a living playing hockey before calling it quits before he plays his first ever pro game. Hell, I'm 27 and just now heading back to the UofA for a second degree to try and find something I can be happy doing. And I don't feel particularly behind the curve TBH.

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
Think you're getting a bit of a head of yourself on this bit lol. He's just 21. Lots of time to figure out if he can make a living playing hockey before calling it quits before he plays his first ever pro game. Hell, I'm 27 and just now heading back to the UofA for a second degree to try and find something I can be happy doing. And I don't feel particularly behind the curve TBH.

Exactly. Can't completely write him off yet. He is a long shot, but having him in the ECHL for a couple of years isn't going to kill the franchise or his future working career.

I'd kind of like to see Betker try the wing. His skating is a major issue and they have quite a few defencemen in the organization at the moment. Plus, guys like Bear and Jones are probably better defencemen than him right now.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I thought the 3 on 3 was exciting, imagine that with actual pros. Reminded me of that 3 on 3 video game that came with NHL12 or whatever, minus the crazy hitting.

It reminds me of a combination of an allstar game and random chance. Its basically trading rushes and with flow that more resembles basketball than hockey. For people that just want goals and no other thing in hockey I would think it could be appealing. But Defensively you have very little chance in 3 on 3. This is very predicated on offense and little else.

You can't play any effective D set with 3 players.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

Its not really a comparable. For the vast majority of the curve in pro hockey if your skating is deficient at age 21 the likelihood that this skillset gets to pro level type speed is remote.

You hear about already established Pro players picking up their skating and working hard on that aspect and making slight improvements but for Betker to get to pro speed from where he's seemingly at would be a quantum leap.

maybe if skating was the only thing this player had to work on.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
Betker looked pretty good at the Prospects game earlier. He looked poor today though

molsonmuscle360

Jan 25, 2009
Ft. McMurray Ab
It reminds me of a combination of an allstar game and random chance. Its basically trading rushes and with flow that more resembles basketball than hockey. For people that just want goals and no other thing in hockey I would think it could be appealing. But Defensively you have very little chance in 3 on 3. This is very predicated on offense and little else.

Yes you can. More defensive teams will use a counter attack structure with two defenseman. More aggressive teams will use a 2 forward approach. Blue line stands are key in 3 on 3 play. You need to force the other team to dump the puck in.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

The worst part of it is when the play gets to the goaltender. Unless the goalie corrals the puck immediately, it's free reign for the attacker for a good three or four seconds. It's essentially like the NHL allowing rebounds in the shootout.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Yes you can. More defensive teams will use a counter attack structure with two defenseman. More aggressive teams will use a 2 forward approach. Blue line stands are key in 3 on 3 play. You need to force the other team to dump the puck in.

I've yet to see a solid configuration and scheme with 3 skaters. Its just very limited what you can do. Its a format that selects for offense, lets not kid ourselves, its why the NHL is doing it to create fast goals. Even 5-10minutes of 3 on 3 is pretty likely to produce a goal.

Think about how much more lethal 4 on 3 advantage is then 5 on 4. Still one man up but 4 on 3 is almost as dangerous as 5 on 3. Because the 3 back is a big problem for most clubs.

We'll see if any team builds a better mousetrap to deal with this. I think you are correct in that the best you can do is try to strip and counter. Its all you got really is playing aggressive but if you miss you get scored on pretty easily.

If I'm a D or goalie I hate everything about this. If I'm a forward I'm having a drink with my player agent about this and lol.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
I think drai might actually be better as a winger.

I hope they give him some mcdavid shifts at the end of camp and just say "you can play in the nhl of yopu play hard enough"

Wewillrise

Jul 25, 2015
Anything is better than deciding games with the shootout.

I waited outside the arena where the busses were to try to get my 97 jersey signed but the prospects were all shuttled on the bus and taken to the airport. We caught up to the bus on the Hiway and so I decided to get up in the sun roof as we road past the bus. I had my arms out to my sides like I was Mcjesus on the cross with my jersey and face flapping in the 110 kiln winds. I raised the jersey over my flabby stomach and butt crack just to make the whole situation a little funnier. They gave me and honk and everyone was laughing as I past lol!

OiledUp

Sep 17, 2011
Its not really a comparable. For the vast majority of the curve in pro hockey if your skating is deficient at age 21 the likelihood that this skillset gets to pro level type speed is remote.

You hear about already established Pro players picking up their skating and working hard on that aspect and making slight improvements but for Betker to get to pro speed from where he's seemingly at would be a quantum leap.

It's a massive hyperbole to claim he won't be able to make a living as a hockey player, as a matter of fact, considering how far he's come already he's guaranteed to be able to play pro hockey until injuries hit or he's in his early 40s. Maybe it's in the AHL or maybe it's the German tier 2 league, still it's a good paycheck and a nice life.

Him having an NHL career on the other hand is highly unlikely but even that isn't written in stone.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Betker looks to me like he put on a lot of weight this offseason and that his foot speed has suffered from it. I don't remember him being this poor of a skater before, I felt that he was a good skater for his size, tonight not so much. That said it's far too early to write him off.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
For me the standouts were Jones (he has some big time wheels and good offensive instincts as well as being a very good passer.), Christoffer (could be a late riser that ends up as a NHLer), Davis (hes been awful on the PK and has work to do on the D side of the puck but I could see him being at a similar level to what I'd envision Petry as at the same age. Lots to like, good skater, passer and a big shot. I'd bepretty PO'd if we don't lock him up to one of our 50 contracts.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Betker looks to me like he put on a lot of weight this offseason and that his foot speed has suffered from it. I don't remember him being this poor of a skater before, I felt that he was a good skater for his size, tonight not so much. That said it's far too early to write him off.
Can't hit the net either. I saw at least four or five times in this tournament where he missed the net by considerable margins with time and space.
Last thing we need is another guy who shoots it real hard but has no control.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006

Doesnt matter to us - we couldn't play effective D with 5 players anyway:laugh:

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
If the Oilers are in a 3 on 3 situation playing defense is not the issue. They have a team built to play pond hockey. The point of the exercise is to score not to get your team to the shoot out.

As to Betker, he was better at the prospects camp. But he has improved significantly in the last two years. Way to early to know what they have with him.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Speed, above all else, will be at a premium 3v3.

I actually do not want to see Draisaitl 3v3 for the Oilers in the regular season, should he play for them. If you can't close gaps on players quickly, you aren't going to be able to limit scoring chances at all.

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.
For me the standouts were Jones (he has some big time wheels and good offensive instincts as well as being a very good passer.), Christoffer (could be a late riser that ends up as a NHLer), Davis (hes been awful on the PK and has work to do on the D side of the puck but I could see him being at a similar level to what I'd envision Petry as at the same age. Lots to like, good skater, passer and a big shot. I'd bepretty PO'd if we don't lock him up to one of our 50 contracts.

how has Marco Roy looked at this tourney overall? has he been worth the Oilers putting time into him?

blupye*

Jul 6, 2011
Nova Scotia

Good for you! I went back when I was 35 and it worked out for me. If u want something, go get it!

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

K but my point is that he's just now turning pro. You think he should give up now? Keep in mind he's got a three year deal where he's going to be earning a 92K a year (that's just signing bonus, not sure what his AHL salary is).

But nah, he should give up on that life long dream because he had a tough go of it in a rookie tournament?

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
I waited outside the arena where the busses were to try to get my 97 jersey signed but the prospects were all shuttled on the bus and taken to the airport. We caught up to the bus on the Hiway and so I decided to get up in the sun roof as we road past the bus. I had my arms out to my sides like I was Mcjesus on the cross with my jersey and face flapping in the 110 kiln winds. I raised the jersey over my flabby stomach and butt crack just to make the whole situation a little funnier. They gave me and honk and everyone was laughing as I past lol!

[Connery] Well done lad. [/Connery]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille