NFL: Young QB tracker/discussion/etc

member 157595

The thing that confused me about Trubisky is that every Tar Heel fan in the world could have told the Bears that Trubisky was a project and needed time to learn the NFL game. He wasn't a bad prospect but he wasn't even close to worth the #2 overall pick whether Watson/Mahomes existed or not.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
The thing that confused me about Trubisky is that every Tar Heel fan in the world could have told the Bears that Trubisky was a project and needed time to learn the NFL game. He wasn't a bad prospect but he wasn't even close to worth the #2 overall pick whether Watson/Mahomes existed or not.
He makes some very beautiful passes at times, but he looks like he has no idea what the defense is doing.

Reactions: OhCaptainMyCaptain

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
He makes some very beautiful passes at times, but he looks like he has no idea what the defense is doing.

I've always said he reminds me of Jay Cutler in the fact that he'll make an amazing throw one play, and then make the dumbest decision of the game on the very next one. Talent is there, but IQ maybe isn't, and far from consistent.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I've always said he reminds me of Jay Cutler in the fact that he'll make an amazing throw one play, and then make the dumbest decision of the game on the very next one. Talent is there, but IQ maybe isn't, and far from consistent.

I think that's selling Cutler short a bit. Jay was too careless with the ball and trusted his arm too much, but he could read defenses and make progressions. He was too up and down because of the turnovers, but he was a legitimate NFL QB for a long time.

Mitch just seems like he can only make 1 or 2 reads and that's it. I wouldn't be shocked if Mitch is out of the league in a few years.

Reactions: Blackhawkswincup

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
I think that's selling Cutler short a bit. Jay was too careless with the ball and trusted his arm too much, but he could read defenses and make progressions. He was too up and down because of the turnovers, but he was a legitimate NFL QB for a long time.

Mitch just seems like he can only make 1 or 2 reads and that's it. I wouldn't be shocked if Mitch is out of the league in a few years.

Yeah it's not a totally perfect comparison, but just the fact that they can look so good on one throw but so bad on the very next throw is something I find so interesting.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Yeah it's not a totally perfect comparison, but just the fact that they can look so good on one throw but so bad on the very next throw is something I find so interesting.

Sure, I think Rex Grossman is a better comp. Same up and down you're talking about but not in the same "class" (average NFL starter) as Jay was.

Babe Ruth

Don't leave me hangin' on the telephone..
Feb 2, 2016
As of 10/28, Goff leads the NFL in passing yardage. (Rodgers at #2).

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Sure, I think Rex Grossman is a better comp. Same up and down you're talking about but not in the same "class" (average NFL starter) as Jay was.

Makes sense. I was like 13 in Grossman's last year in Chicago, so the Rex Grossman era was when I was just really getting into football, and I don't remember it as well. All I remember is that defense basically carrying that team entirely haha.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Makes sense. I was like 13 in Grossman's last year in Chicago, so the Rex Grossman era was when I was just really getting into football, and I don't remember it as well. All I remember is that defense basically carrying that team entirely haha.
Like we have seen in the past decade or so, elite level defences can only last a few years before the salary cap bites you or some of those players age out of their prime. Denver's D which won them the Super Bowl lost several players and some of their top guys are into their early 30's now. Can't carry the team anymore. Seattle's group got older and the team moved on from them. Jax, was elite for 1 year. How long can SF's D last before all of their highly drafted DL get paid?

Elite D also require their offence to move the ball. Don't have to score a tonne, but need to get 1-2 first downs each drive to give the D a rest between series. Can't have consecutive 3 and outs. Will wear out a D.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL

Fair enough. 2006, the year they went to the SB... About 5 weeks into the season, there were legitimate articles talking about how he might be the MVP of the league. Bears where 5-0 and he had 10-3 TD/INT. Then the infamous Arizona "Crown their Ass" MNF game where he through 4 picks.

"Good Rex" and "Bad Rex" was a real thing. You didn't know who you were getting game to game. If he threw an INT, it was like, oh shit, here we go, because he threw them in bunches. It's funny to look at the game log.

Rex Grossman 2006 Game Log | Pro-Football-Reference.com

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland

Wow I thought you were older

When I was 13 I was watching Steve Stenstrom fail miserably at playing the role of NFL QB

Are you guys actively trying to kill BWC by talking about Trubisky AND Grossman in the same conversation?

Watching Mitch fail at even the basics of being an NFL QB makes me miss Rex. At least Rex could sling the rock deep and at times be decent

Also we didn't trade up to #2 and select Rex before two other QB's who became superstars

Good Rex vs Bad Rex was roller coaster that ultimately ended in heart break for Bear fans

Should have played Griese in SB like most fans wanted

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Does anyone have a clip of that play from the week 1 game when Trubisky was at UNC, and he like ran around his own end zone to set up a screen and ended up in a safety? I think they were playing Clemson in Atlanta.

Reactions: OmniCube

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
I want all non-Bears fans to give BWC a lecture on how awful Cutler was. Please.

Anyway, Trubisky blows, Goff borderline blows and Wentz is meh.
Goff is probably one of the most underrated QBs in the league outside of his contract...dude puts up big numbers makes big plays to win games and their running game hasn't been that good this season. Last year throws for 35-10 and 4500+ yards which is easily top 5 in the league and people act like he's holding the team back.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Goff is probably one of the most underrated QBs in the league outside of his contract...dude puts up big numbers makes big plays to win games and their running game hasn't been that good this season. Last year throws for 35-10 and 4500+ yards which is easily top 5 in the league and people act like he's holding the team back.
Goff is overrated af. He's barely better than Trubisky. He just has a better HC.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
Goff is overrated af. He's barely better than Trubisky. He just has a better HC.
Lol he leads the league in passing yards while Trubisky is lucky to hit the 200 mark in a game...Goff is miles better than Trubisky if anything he's in the tier right below the elite QBs(Rodgers,Mahomes, Wilson, Watson) Head coach did what? big deal I suppose BB mind controls Brady so nothing he does matters either then?

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Well credit Lamar Jackson, he lived up to his talk after Week 1. The only caveat being last year Goff and Trubisky looked like comer QB's and have taken big steps back this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad