NFL: Young QB tracker/discussion/etc

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Mahomes is the goat but that turned out to be a win win. The Bills traded down, drafted the best CB in the league, got an emerging elite MLB and ended their 18 year playoff drought. And the qb they ended up getting the next year looks like a top 3-5 QB in his own right.

Mahomes wasn't a can't miss prospect nor was it a top pick. It was the tenth pick those picks are traded every year. The only bad move was picking KC and not Houston to trade with. We would have got a way higher 1st. But the literal best CB in the game and an elite young MLB in return is pretty damn good for a #10 overall pick.
I would agree. Everyone makes it out that Chicago was the only team that messed up because they opted to select a QB that draft in the top 10. But, there were other QB needy teams in the top 10 that didn't take Watson or Mahomes. So, that also reinforces that people have revisionist history of that draft.

Look at the teams that passed on a QB in the top 10 and where they are now with their current QB?

Cleveland - Baker not elite. Needs a running game
SF - Jimmy G, Shanny needs to protect him. I don't think once the D gets paid, that he can carry an offense
Jets - probably wouldn't matter given how poorly they are run
Ten - managed to do ok with Tanny after they moved off Mariotta
Jax - needed a QB. Who knows if they keep that team together after their AFC Champ run a couple years back
Car - moved off Cam and have Bridgewater. Decent starter, but not a top 10-15 guy IMO.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
2020 drafted/undrafted QBs currently on NFL rosters:

Tua Tagovailoa (Miami Dolphins)
Jake Fromm (Buffalo Bills)
James Morgan (New York Jets)
Joe Burrow (Cincinnati Bengals)
Jacob Eason (Indianapolis Colts)
Jake Luton (Jacksonville Jaguars)
Justin Herbert (Los Angeles Chargers)
Ben DiNucci (Dallas Cowboys)
Jalen Hurts (Philadelphia Eagles)
Jordan Love (Green Bay Packers)

2020 drafted/undrafted QBs currently on NFL practice squads:

Reid Sinnett (Miami Dolphins)
Tyler Huntley (Baltimore Ravens)
Steven Montez (Washington Football Team)
Nate Stanley (Minnesota Vikings)
Tommy Stevens (New Orleans Saints)
Bryce Perkins (Los Angeles Rams)

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
How strong is the upcoming QB class at draft?

The amount of teams looking QB seem high this year as commented in GDT by Troy McClure
If the Jets, giants, Falcons, Washington, Minnesota take a qb their incumbent will be moved. So could be a lot of action on qbs this off season.

Hoverhand

Barry Trotzky
Dec 6, 2015
Ontario
If the Jets, giants, Falcons, Washington, Minnesota take a qb their incumbent will be moved. So could be a lot of action on qbs this off season.
Good chance Ryan is the only QB here that finds a starting job somewhere else. Idk who wants to hitch their wagon to Kirk.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Good chance Ryan is the only QB here that finds a starting job somewhere else. Idk who wants to hitch their wagon to Kirk.
For cousins maybe SF and shanahan take a shot.

I think teams like Indy, SF, Dallas, Washington, Denver would call on Darnold. Whether any would be willing to part with their first rounder who knows. But it might be worth the risk if your HC and OC are good enough to help him turn it around.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Disagree. Darnold needs an offensive line and will be a solid starter. Colts and Denver could be in the market.

member 157595

Disagree. Darnold needs an offensive line and will be a solid starter. Colts and Denver could be in the market.

I really think Darnold could be a player elsewhere. He's best in a system where he has freedom to move and doesn't have to overthink things.

Tannehill was able to recover after the ass fisting his career took from Coach Bug Eyes, and I hope Darnold can do the same. He never deserved this.

member 157595

I also find a Cousins trade unlikely. For one, Minnesota is cap-strapped, can they even afford the dead cap they'd be hit with upon trading Cousins? For two, who on Earth would want to take that contract? I don't see SF, they need every penny they can to keep their defense and OL deep since that's the bones of the team.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I also find a Cousins trade unlikely. For one, Minnesota is cap-strapped, can they even afford the dead cap they'd be hit with upon trading Cousins? For two, who on Earth would want to take that contract? I don't see SF, they need every penny they can to keep their defense and OL deep since that's the bones of the team.
That’s the main hindrance on a veteran QB trade. Too much dead money especially in a year where the cap will go down. Who would the replacement be for the vet QB?

you’d have to be a full on rebuild to absorb that kind of dead cap. But I’ve heard in the pst teams like the raiders have like $35 mill in dead caps. NE this season has something in the mid 20’s or something like that. But that is for multiple guys. These QBs could cost a team over $20 alone.

Reactions: OmniCube

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad