NFL: Young QB tracker/discussion/etc

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Teddy isn’t a guy who pushes the ball down the field. Arians wants that. I’d say Gruden does as well.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Drew Lock finished up the season 4-1 64% 1020 yards , 7 TDs to 3 Ints and 89 rating. Rushed for 71 yards too.

He did this despite some Dan Reevesesque play calling at times from the Broncos coaching staff.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Drew Lock finished up the season 4-1 64% 1020 yards , 7 TDs to 3 Ints and 89 rating. Rushed for 71 yards too.

He did this despite some Dan Reevesesque play calling at times from the Broncos coaching staff.
Given that Herbert/Eason are around the same level as Lock in terms of question marks, no reason to take either of them in the draft. Justin Love is an athletic mobile QB but is raw.

Expect the Broncos to roll with Lock next season. It's too bad he broke his hand in pre-season and thus didn't get into more games.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Given that Herbert/Eason are around the same level as Lock in terms of question marks, no reason to take either of them in the draft. Justin Love is an athletic mobile QB but is raw.
A good LT in free agency or the draft would pay huge dividends.

Expect the Broncos to roll with Lock next season. It's too bad he broke his hand in pre-season and thus didn't get into more games.
You expect to put up with growing pains or shelter a rookie QB anyway, I was expectin Flacco as a stop gap for the season and Lock getting a shot next season, so to see him start pretty well is a bonus to me.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
They were going to roll with Flacco to start, which made sense. Just meant that when Flacco got hurt, they had to use Allen instead of Lock because Lock wasn't able to go at that point in time and get an extra 3 starts under his belt.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Where would people rank Winston's season this year, league-wide? 2nd for TDs, 8th most passing yards of all time, but obviously the most interceptions thrown since 1988. He was 23rd for QB rating for QBs with over 400 attempts.

Babe Ruth

Don't leave me hangin' on the telephone..
Feb 2, 2016
Where would people rank Winston's season this year, league-wide?

All things considered, on a relative scale.. I consider inFamous Jameis' 2019 to be average (C-). Had some really great games, and then terrible games.

I feel like he's fulfilled his potential. Obviously more TDs & picks this season.. But the numbers comport with his mediocre history.. He's an average NFL QB (typically he was throwing about 20 TDs & 15 ints a season).. Just my opinion.

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
12 fumbles for Winston also has him averaging over 2.5 turnovers a game.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
As of me typing this today, 25 new rookie quarterbacks have either been drafted to, or signed to NFL rosters! I can't wait to see how they develop.

First Round:

(1) Joe Burrow, LSU - Cincinnati Bengals

(5) Tua Tagovailoa, Alabama - Miami Dolphins

(6) Justin Herbert, Oregon - Los Angeles Chargers

(26) Jordan Love, Utah State - Green Bay Packers

Second Round:

(53) Jalen Hurts, Alabama - Philadelphia Eagles

Fourth Round:

(122) Jacob Eason, Washington - Indianapolis Colts

(125) James Morgan, FIU - New York Jets

Fifth Round:

(167) Jake Fromm, Georgia - Buffalo Bills

Sixth Round:

(189) Jake Luton, Oregon State - Jacksonville Jaguars

Seventh Round:

(
224) Cole McDonald, Hawaii - Tennessee Titans

(231) Ben DiNucci, James Madison - Dallas Cowboys

(240) Tommy Stevens, Mississippi State - New Orleans Saints

(244) Nate Stanley, Iowa - Minnesota Vikings

UDFAs:

Broc Rutter, North Central College - San Francisco 49ers

Riley Neal, Vanderbilt - Denver Broncos

Kevin Davidson, Princeton - Cleveland Browns

Reid Sinnett, San Diego - Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Case Cookus, Northern Arizona - New York Giants

Jalen Morton, Prairie View A&M - Green Bay Packers

J'Mar Smith, Louisiana Tech - New England Patriots

Josh Love, San Jose State - Los Angeles Rams

Bryce Perkins, Virginia - Los Angeles Rams

Tyler Huntley, Utah - Baltimore Ravens

Steven Montez, Colorado - Washington Redskins

Anthony Gordon, Washington State - Seattle Seahawks

Brian Lewerke, Michigan State - New England Patriots

Khalil Tate, Arizona - Philadelphia Eagles

Nick Tiano, Chattanooga - Houston Texans

Shea Patterson, Michigan - Kansas City Chiefs

Last edited:

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I think Eason should be happy where he landed. Disappointed in the round he went, but landing behind an old veteran in Rivers and decent starter in Brissett (if he isn’t traded) and the Reich coaching staff sets him up nicely to have a legit shot of getting the starter role if he performs well in pre-season and practices over the coming year or two.

Hurts went in round 2, but he’s behind Wentz who is on a big contract and just hit his late 20’s. So barring injury no real shot of becoming the starter in Philly. Best scenario is a Jimmy G one where he gets in a couple or few games on his rookie deal and gets moved.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
What's everyone's opinion of Josh Allen? Us Bills fans are cautiously optimistic, but he seems to get a lot of heat around the league. Curious as to what people around here think...

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
What's everyone's opinion of Josh Allen? Us Bills fans are cautiously optimistic, but he seems to get a lot of heat around the league. Curious as to what people around here think...

Big arm. Small brain. Dont think hes gonna be able to win unless hes got a Ravens style defense behind him.

Reactions: Dubi Doo

quesosauce

Feb 5, 2008
Denver

I like him, his size, arm strength and scrambling are all top notch, i think he needs better offensive coaching to get his football IQ up, but a rich mans Jeff George+

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
As a Wyo fan, I'm probably his biggest fan.

He won't ever win style points, nor will he be rated highly by those who value traditional qb play, but he's an extremely valuable player who significantly improved between years 1 and 2. That's huge for a young qb. Just look at Trubisky for example, he did the opposite.

He's a guy who will you'll hear "yeah but" all of his career when they win, but that's a great problem to have. The guy is a winner.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
If Love or Tua or Burrows has a career exactly like Nick Foles (including improbable run to Superbowl title), would ya still consider them a bust?

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
I like him, his size, arm strength and scrambling are all top notch, i think he needs better offensive coaching to get his football IQ up, but a rich mans Jeff George+
I like him too. All top QB from the 2018 draft will be extremely scrutinized on their 3rd years as a pro. Mayfield, Darnold and Allen will have to deliver next year.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I like him too. All top QB from the 2018 draft will be extremely scrutinized on their 3rd years as a pro. Mayfield, Darnold and Allen will have to deliver next year.
The guy who went last in the class and
Thus ended up on a good franchise shows the difference in coaching between the bad and good teams. plus add in Rosen who has been on 2 bad teams with new coaching staffs each season and likely is still with Miami this season because of the questions of Tua’s health and that year 3 of his contract is a very low cap hit.

The 3 that you mentioned all need to take that next step. Cleveland upgraded what they needed to around Maker. Buffalo added weapons for Allen with a WR what isn’t sub 6 feet for a not so accurate passer. Darnold got help as well.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Physically talented. Judgement and accuracy needs to be improved for him to become an elite QB.

Those are Fromm's strengths , will be interesting to see that develop but can't see anyone overtaking Allen for a few years regardless, unless he plays beyond terrible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad