NFL: Young QB tracker/discussion/etc

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
If Love or Tua or Burrows has a career exactly like Nick Foles (including improbable run to Superbowl title), would ya still consider them a bust?
I don't think you can really make this comparison. Only 4 players were picked ahead of Tua and one of them was Burrow. 87 players were picked in front of Foles and he has had a decent career. But if Burrow and Tua were to win a Super Bowl each hard to call them a bust and if they win one with where they were picked hard to see it being improbable.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
If Love or Tua or Burrows has a career exactly like Nick Foles (including improbable run to Superbowl title), would ya still consider them a bust?
Love was an undrafted fa. He won't be a bust regardless.

That said, liked what I saw from him at sjsu. Has the tools the pros want. Sucks he's a Ram.

Those are Fromm's strengths , will be interesting to see that develop but can't see anyone overtaking Allen for a few years regardless, unless he plays beyond terrible.
Outside of injury, I don't see Fromm passing Allen at all.

member 157595

If Joe Burrow wins a Super Bowl as the starting QB of the freaking Bengals of all teams the NFL should retire his number league-wide.

RussianRacket

He/Him/His Pronouns
Dec 29, 2019
Coast Salish Unceded Territory
I think of all the QB movement this offseason including the draft, the two who ended up in the best spots are Jacob Eason and (while not "young" persay) Jameis Winston.

Both get a chance to sit behind well established veteran QBs, with creative offensive minded coaches with solid records working with the position. All signs point to this being Brees' last season- what a good spot for Winston to remold himself and re-emerge.

I think Burrow will be fine but the Bengals as a franchise will hold him back. I am extremely hesitant on Tua- he has huge injury concerns, and I don't think he moves very well in the pocket. Maybe it is just me but outside of that national championship half against Georgia I feel like every time I watched him I was just underwhelmed.

Fromm is a non-story. Clipboard holder, occasional spot starter. Probably in the best position of all of them tbqh he'll make millions while not getting his brains bashed in.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Fromm is going to the perfect place for himself. He will learn from the guy his career is going to resemble in Matt Barkley.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Fromm is going to the perfect place for himself. He will learn from the guy his career is going to resemble in Matt Barkley.
I think for guys of Fromm's talents (more intangibles than measurables), the ideal is Fitzpatrick/Josh McCowan/Chase Daniels in that order. Where if you get a chance and can produce you could get paid starter money for a couple of years. Or you end up being a highly sought after backup QB to a QB on a rookie contract. In rare instances, you become what Bridgewater was in NO and a contending team wants QB insurance and is willing to pay for it.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
The Trubisky pick was a massive reach even at the time though. If you're going to trade up to overdraft a QB you better be damn, damn sure you know something that others don't.

This is more revisionist than reality, imo. Lots of scouts and analysts had Trubisky as the best QB of that draft. The Bears traded up 1 spot, obviously because they thought he was the guy and you can't let another team trade up for him and snag him first.

It obviously didn't work out and looks really bad now but it wasn't a reach or terrible move at the time.

member 157595

This is more revisionist than reality, imo. Lots of scouts and analysts had Trubisky as the best QB of that draft. The Bears traded up 1 spot, obviously because they thought he was the guy and you can't let another team trade up for him and snag him first.

It obviously didn't work out and looks really bad now but it wasn't a reach or terrible move at the time.

Maybe I remember it incorrectly but I don't remember any analyst having Trubisky as a Top 2/3 prospect in that draft.

I personally didn't see anything in him other than a project at the time. Then again, I thought Josh Allen was a massive reach too and he's certainly coming along...but then again, Josh Allen has measurables that Mitch doesn't.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

SF passed on all of the QBs as well and they started the following season with Hoyer. Cleveland, going to Cleveland. Jax at 4 still believed in Bortes. Ten at 5 still believed in Tanny. NYJ at 6 didn't take a QB. Chargers with an aging Rivers passed. CAR had a QB in Cam. Cincy passed while having Dalton. Buffalo was the one who traded down to KC and they could have used one.

So there were QB needy teams that passed on both Watson and Mahommes.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
SF passed on all of the QBs as well and they started the following season with Hoyer. Cleveland, going to Cleveland. Jax at 4 still believed in Bortes. Ten at 5 still believed in Tanny. NYJ at 6 didn't take a QB. Chargers with an aging Rivers passed. CAR had a QB in Cam. Cincy passed while having Dalton. Buffalo was the one who traded down to KC and they could have used one.

So there were QB needy teams that passed on both Watson and Mahommes.

Mahomes is the goat but that turned out to be a win win. The Bills traded down, drafted the best CB in the league, got an emerging elite MLB and ended their 18 year playoff drought. And the qb they ended up getting the next year looks like a top 3-5 QB in his own right.

Mahomes wasn't a can't miss prospect nor was it a top pick. It was the tenth pick those picks are traded every year. The only bad move was picking KC and not Houston to trade with. We would have got a way higher 1st. But the literal best CB in the game and an elite young MLB in return is pretty damn good for a #10 overall pick.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Whelp, it's looking like yet another QB bust for the Browns. Baker refuses to stop throwing interceptions, and he's struggling to make basic throws because he still can't read a defense.

It's a bit hard to second guess the draft selection at this point considering both Darnold and Rosen also are bad.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Mayfield is far from a bust

I like how they waited until he had a real bad game to say he is awful again

103-170 (60.6%)
1,095 yds
10 TD's
6 INT
84.3 QB Rtg

Does he need to improve? Sure but he is far from a bust with his play this year

Watching him he reminds me a bit of Matthew Stafford when he was younger

I see Mayfield becoming another Stafford in longrun

A good QB but not a franchise talent

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Mayfield is far from a bust

I like how they waited until he had a real bad game to say he is awful again

103-170 (60.6%)
1,095 yds
10 TD's
6 INT
84.3 QB Rtg

Does he need to improve? Sure but he is far from a bust with his play this year

Watching him he reminds me a bit of Matthew Stafford when he was younger

I see Mayfield becoming another Stafford in longrun

A good QB but not a franchise talent
Except he's had several bad games this season. Even in a couple of their wins, if you look at Baker's second half numbers, you see why they end up being close games. Teams adjust their defenses even slightly, and Baker falls apart. Him struggling to get second half first downs is a big reason why these teams are getting so many possessions to get back in games.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
It is kinda interesting how Baker's generally lackluster performances are going essentially unnoticed. I assume it's because the Browns look like a competent team for the first time in like almost 15 years and that story is overriding any potential "uh oh" moments.

I watched a good chunk of the Browns through redzone and even i noticed that if the game falls on his shoulders, the Browns start to falter. The run game beat Dallas and the other 3 wins they got came against very bad teams.

QBR is a meaningless stat by itself but the fact he's only put a 67.8 rating in the 6 games Cleveland has played, 4 of which they won by putting up 30+ points should tell you something isn't right. I also notice he seems to be only be able to throw to one side of the field.

Edit: It will be very interesting to see if there starts to be a "start Keenum" sentiment pop up. Keenum isn't good either but the one time he was an above average QB was also the last time he was paired up with the guy currently serving as the head coach.

Last edited:

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Great?

He had two awful games , 1 ok game and 3 good/great games

They are 3-3 so I would have continued with Fitz till he completely fell apart or team fell out of playoff race

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad