NFL: Young QB tracker/discussion/etc

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
Hes not a completion percentage or accuracy guy, but neither is Newton. I didn't necessarily compare him to Watson, his college teammate who has now played with both says he was better. The only reason I used Watson was because both can run and throw, but Watson is a better completion percentage guy.

Different people value different things. Not all QBs are the same. You know why Brady has had a better career than Rodgers eventhough Rodgers is the better player? Hes more coachable, same for why Brady has done more than Big Ben. I mean at first glance there was/is NOTHING that made anyone think Brady was the "skilled" QB he became to be. Peyton Manning was way more flashy.

For the record, i'm not saying he's going to be Brady by any measure, all i'm saying is, people are all set in their ways on a certain QB. The most praised of the last 15 years arguably have
5 ritles, Manning and Ben each had their D carry them the same way to one. If you take out phenominal D each guy only really played the team to 1 title. I mean Felicia Manning is a pick machine but has 2 SB's. He was never a top 10 active QB during his still on going playoff career. I would much rather have Philip Rivers if I ran a team, but he has 0.

The way the game is going you need mobile QBs.. When they let him play Allen did some good things. That team overachieved. I recall in the summer guy's like Cowherd aand Rome talking about ober unders for teams and they kept pushing Buffalo hard on the 5.5 saying that Vegas is just daring people to take the over. I thought they might win 4 games. If they had kept a vet with that D they could have been a playoff team. They botched the situation. Allen won 5 of the games. I believe was one game under .500, the team in the last 3 one possession games this year. They were close to matching last years win total. With a far less skilled team.

The kid does seem coachable, early in the season he would run like Jackson to run. Now at the end he ran if the opportunity presented itself. He stands in the pocket. Peterman had no skill. He wasnt mobilr at all. The only thing he could do was release the ball quick but that probably led to his struggles. The only reason Darnold is such a slurpfest is because hes the rich kid from Southern Cal-i-forn-i-a and comes from a huge market and went to a school thats been grossly overhyping QBs for the past decade and a half and the only guy who panned out and I would struggle to ay that really is Carson Palmer. He ended up with an okay career but injuries wrecked him.
Cam is way more accurate and played in a deep ball offense most of his career and is very consistent with deep ball accuracy. He had like 73% comp rate under Norv and dropped to 68 after his shoulder got hurt showing he can easily throw short and slowly work his way down the field it wasn't a coincidence that McCaffrey had 107 receptions last year. Allen is horribly inaccurate I live in Buffalo and got to see every game people remember his legs but he misses way too many throws to lead the team back from a defecit....Cam by comparison can definitely do so and brought them back down 17 in the 4th against the Eagles last year.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Hot take of the week: Lamar Jackson is taking WAY too many bows and victory laps for beating up on a tanking team. The fall back to earth will be real and spectacular.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
That rookie in Jacksonville did well after having to step in

At the very least he is going to get a prolonged look here to show he is legit #1 caliber QB prospect

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Hot take of the week: Lamar Jackson is taking WAY too many bows and victory laps for beating up on a tanking team. The fall back to earth will be real and spectacular.
Yeah, I'm more than willing to say a guy can get better after his rookie season, but beating up a team that is intentionally tanking and full of a roster of dudes who have already quit on the season isn't exactly a good measuring stick. I'll remain in wait and see mode, but I'll also give him credit for making plays.

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI
He should do that to them. He was making incredible throws all day. It's not like he was throwing ducks to guys with 10-15 yards of separation.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I had older thread that didn't survive site change that had older QB's (Freeman , Locker , etc types) but will just go ahead and bring them up in here

Winston and Mariotta just aren't worth investing in anymore for Bucs and Titans. Neither guy is that good and both franchises should be looking to move on

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I had older thread that didn't survive site change that had older QB's (Freeman , Locker , etc types) but will just go ahead and bring them up in here

Winston and Mariotta just aren't worth investing in anymore for Bucs and Titans. Neither guy is that good and both franchises should be looking to move on
Absolutely.

Not sure what’s worse - throwing 5 picks or getting shutout by Denver.

Piss poor performances again for both.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I said it elsewhere, but the first sign should’ve been when Chip Kelly wasn’t willing to sell his soul for him, and instead did for Sam Bradford.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012

Mariota has tanked that Titans offense for years now. He just has zero upside. Winston is an absolute idiot, but at least has the ability to make big plays and have big games. Either way, both suck.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
The "next" crop of QBs from a few years ago all look like crap.

Mariota lost his starting job, Winston is very unlikely a starter past this season, Trubisky sucks, etc.

Luckily a couple guys emerged to make us forget about how bad those drafts were. Mahomes, Watson, Jackson, hell even Goff and Wentz.

member 157595

Winston always had the talent but didnt have the head. But he brought us a National Championship and I'm forever grateful for that.
Mariota I think had his growth stunted by Tennessee. The times I've seen him in the NFL made me convinced he has an allergy to throwing downfield.
Trubisky was a terrible pick even at the time and he certainly hasn't done a thing to prove he deserved it to date.

Reactions: Big Poppa Puck

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Winston is talented enough where he'll probably stick around in the league since he's certainly good enough to be a backup.

He might even get another shot with a really desperate team needing a patchjob at QB. Looking at you, Denver.

member 157595

Winston is talented enough where he'll probably stick around in the league since he's certainly good enough to be a backup.

He might even get another shot with a really desperate team needing a patchjob at QB. Looking at you, Denver.

No one loves patch jobs at QB more than Elway.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Trubisky is an absolute bust

Simple and sad truth
He should have returned to NC for a second year as a starter. Too raw. Same as Mark Sanchez, came out after a year as a starter with eligibility left. And Haskins is the same situation.

i would want at least 25 college starts out of a QB that I draft. Need the reps to see more defenses.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad