Young Malkin VS Matthews

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Malkin has the advantage of playing cushy min and the NHL was giving out PP's like candy after the lockout. You could hook a guy for 10 feet when he is on a break away and have it not called today. Much harder to put up points today.

This is something that people will never understand lol.

Matthews was putting up the same type of even strength production Malkin was when he was winning scoring titles and contending for them early in his career.

The only difference is the absolute insanse amount of PP time difference lol.

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
This is something that people will never understand lol.

Matthews was putting up the same type of even strength production Malkin was when he was winning scoring titles and contending for them early in his career.

The only difference is the absolute insanse amount of PP time difference lol.

Even McDavid put into 2006 would prob EASILY put up 140 points

Reactions: HoBOonFiRE

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Probably because he's better, keep rolling the excuses.

Matthews would be a hundred point player if he played 120 games a season or 35min a night too right? :laugh:

What type of primitive argument is this?

To highlight that one player played nearly 6 minutes of PP time a game isn’t an excuse, it’s called context.

Do you understand that?

Reactions: Elephanto

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
The same Matthews fans who can't except that Barzal was better at the same age becuase he just toppled Matthews career high as a rookie.

What same age?

Matthews is actually younger than Barzal if you go by the months lol.

Matthews rookie year was still in his teenage years, not the same for Barzal.

They had a near identical points per game this year with Matthews playing far more difficult minutes and having way more responsiblity.

What are you going on about?

mattydamon

May 2, 2011
Victoria, BC
Not sure there is a point in arguing with Zeke, this dude truly believes Matthews is the very best in the league and no matter who you compare him to he will try and dig up some cherry picked stats to fit his agenda.

It's unfathomable to Zeke that players could be better than his precious, as evidenced by the Mcdavid thread, the Malkin thread and countless others.

I will give him kudos with his persistence and his loyalty though as well as his willingness to engage - respect.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Malkin when he was on is basically Mario Lemieux, dead serious.

I'd say you never watched Mario Lemieux play. Because that's hyperbole.

yeah, HF is the one having a hard time...not leafs fans...........

Pretty much, ever since he's been drafted every media outlet and company/site that produce ranked lists have had him as a top player/centre. And every single time it turns into a whine fest because people like you can't grasp reality. Bob Mackenzie, who is a god to some of you - but generally respected by everyone called him a top 25 player in the league mid-way through his rookie year, how did HF respond? Bob Mackenzie doesn't know what he's talking about.

So yeah, id say HFB and the large volume of casual fans it has posting on it is the one who doesn't get it.

Reactions: HoBOonFiRE

WJCJ

Sep 27, 2017
why is it so hard for you guys to accept that Matthews is on the same level as a player he outperformed at the same age?

i don't get it.

Wait, did I miss something? Who did he outperform? Not Malkin.

I think we need to give Mathews a little time but so far Malkin is on a different level than Mathews, we'll see if Mathews can get up to that level in the next couple of years.

bionic

Sep 5, 2009
markham
It’s obvious you just started watching hockey within the last year or two, but playing well over 5 minutes of pp time a game is obviously going to have a huge impact on offensive production lol.

C’mon.
5 min of pp time a game? That is insane. I wonder how many of those min were spent playing with the best player in the world?

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Very interesting that Leaf fans keep saying ES ES ES over and over again yet purposely ignoring that fact.

Switch linemates and it wouldn't even be close. Malkin created and made plays every shift by himself, while opposing teams double teamed him. Matthews has yet to show that kind of potential much less being that kind of player today
Matthews plays with Hyman every shift and usually splits time with Nylander and Brown on the other side albeit with Nylander getting more minutes than Brown there. I dont think the linemate gap is that huge when you consider Crosby and Malkin were regularly loaded up to play together.

I think Malkin is better, but let's not pretend Matthews has top flight wingers night in and night out.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
5 min of pp time a game? That is insane. I wonder how many of those min were spent playing with the best player in the world?

Well, none, because Ovechkin wasn't on the Pens.

Besides, Crosby missed 29 games that year, during which time Malkin had 21 goals and 47 points. In total, Sid only had a point on 32 of Malkin's 106 total points and 14 of Malkin's 40 PP points.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Well, none, because Ovechkin wasn't on the Pens.

Besides, Crosby missed 29 games that year, during which time Malkin had 21 goals and 47 points. In total, Sid only had a point on 32 of Malkin's 106 total points and 14 of Malkin's 40 PP points.

Hey man.
Don't look at stats. Except ones that help my argument. Any P/60 things we can put together here?

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
It’s obvious you just started watching hockey within the last year or two, but playing well over 5 minutes of pp time a game is obviously going to have a huge impact on offensive production lol.

C’mon.

EVTOI:
Matthews - 989:20
Malkin - 1269:09

PPTOI:
Matthews - 133:04
Malkin - 412:42

ES Points:
Matthews - 50
Malkin - 66

PP Points:
Matthews - 13
Malkin - 40

If Matthews played the *exact* same minutes as Malkin played in 2007-08, based on his production in the minutes he played this past season, his totals would look like:

ES Points - 64 (50 divided by 989:20 multiplied by 1269:09)
PP Points - 40 (13 divided by 133:04 multiplied by 412:42)

Their "projected" numbers look similar based on my rudimentary calculations, but it is based on the assumption that Matthews' game wouldn't be affected by the extra minutes (fatigue-factor).

The irony? Malkin projects to be a better ES producer than Matthews, despite the belief that it would be the PP where Malkin holds the edge.

(Note: I did the above really quickly. If the numbers are off or I missed a calculation, blame me hurrying)

Reactions: Tom Hanks

slimbob8

Aug 11, 2016
Obviously a lot of stars are going to have to align for Matthews to reach prime Malkin level, but to flat out state it's never going to happen like it's fact is ridiculous. Malkin wasn't even in the league yet at this point and everything Matthews has shown so far signals he's got future Hart trophy potential written all over him.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
EVTOI:
Matthews - 989:20
Malkin - 1269:09

PPTOI:
Matthews - 133:04
Malkin - 412:42

ES Points:
Matthews - 50
Malkin - 66

PP Points:
Matthews - 13
Malkin - 40

If Matthews played the *exact* same minutes as Malkin played in 2007-08, based on his production in the minutes he played this past season, his totals would look like:

ES Points - 64 (50 divided by 989:20 multiplied by 1269:09)
PP Points - 40 (13 divided by 133:04 multiplied by 412:42)

Their "projected" numbers look similar based on my rudimentary calculations, but it is based on the assumption that Matthews' game wouldn't be affected by the extra minutes (fatigue-factor).

The irony? Malkin projects to be a better ES producer than Matthews, despite the belief that it would be the PP where Malkin holds the edge.

(Note: I did the above really quickly. If the numbers are off or I missed a calculation, blame me hurrying)

Following the principle that one should compare the two players when one of them was a year and a couple months older than the other, instead of comparing the two when one of them was just a couple months older than the other (in which case Matthews would have come out ahead in points both at ES and on the PP).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad