Young Malkin VS Matthews

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
Malkin's weird in that regard. When he wants to be, Malkin's a beast defensively. When he's not half-assing it, he's a takeaway machine, he's positionally strong, supports the D really well, and can out-muscle people for pucks along the boards. Thing is, he picks and chooses when he wants to play like that and when he wants to "cheat" in the defensive zone.

It seems like everything Malkin does has an "when he wants" label attached to it. But when he wants to, I think he's actually better defensively than Crosby, largely because he's such a takeaway beast.
Yeah I've seen a few games where Malkin looks like a guy who should be receiving Selke votes, but that seems pretty rare. Obviously you watch more of him than me so tell me if I'm wrong, but it seems the gap between Malkin giving 100% defensively and not giving 100% defensively is much greater even than that gap is offensively, where he's still elite even when seemingly not going 100%. And he also seems to be going 100% on offense much more often than defense.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Yeah I've seen a few games where Malkin looks like a guy who should be receiving Selke votes, but that seems pretty rare. Obviously you watch more of him than me so tell me if I'm wrong, but it seems the gap between Malkin giving 100% defensively and not giving 100% defensively is much greater even than that gap is offensively, where he's still elite even when seemingly not going 100%. And he also seems to be going 100% on offense much more often than defense.

I'd agree with that, but I think it's because offense comes naturally to these guys, while defense is something even the best guys have to work at. It's similar to his faceoffs. He's generally horrible at them because the majority of the time it's like he doesn't think they're all that important. But when he does bear down and try to win them in important situations, he's actually capable of being a 50+% guy at them.

When he was first drafted, I remember someone (maybe the coach Dave King?) who said he could be the next Ron Francis. I believe Paul Maurice (who coached him in Russia) said something similar. So the talent is there to be a two-way stud. But for whatever reason, Malkin seems to not think it's that important to play well defensively unless the games absolutely matter (ie. playoffs or important regular season games that dictate standings).

Reactions: Seanaconda

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
I'd agree with that, but I think it's because offense comes naturally to these guys, while defense is something even the best guys have to work at. It's similar to his faceoffs. He's generally horrible at them because the majority of the time it's like he doesn't think they're all that important. But when he does bear down and try to win them in important situations, he's actually capable of being a 50+% guy at them.

When he was first drafted, I remember someone (maybe the coach Dave King?) who said he could be the next Ron Francis. I believe Paul Maurice (who coached him in Russia) said something similar. So the talent is there to be a two-way stud. But for whatever reason, Malkin seems to not think it's that important to play well defensively unless the games absolutely matter (ie. playoffs or important regular season games that dictate standings).
He will score four points and people will call it a bad game , also when he is mad he will score four points play defence and prob injure a guy

Reactions: dukeofjive

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
This serious? Malkin any day every day.

Malkin may not be talked about in the Ovy/Crosby talks from years past, but he should be. Malkin when he was on is basically Mario Lemieux, dead serious. Matthews is a beast no doubt, but he isn't the complete monster Malkin was/is.
Great player but Mario Lemieux?....................no.

Although I would agree that with his size and the way he plays he resembles him the most.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
it's too good.

p60 was tossed aside

now even gpg and ppg are being tossed aside.

even when Matthews was put in a much tougher role.

just to refuse to admit how good Matthews is.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bedards Dad

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
it's too good.

p60 was tossed aside

Matthews is very good no doubt but I dont see him having a better or equal career as Malkin.

There is a clear gap in playmaking and I don’t think Matthews will ever close that gap.

Malkin will probably be close to a top 20 player of all time when he retires. There is no shame in not being on the same tier as him.

Nadal On Clay

Djokovic > Nadal > Federer
Oct 11, 2017
it's too good.

p60 was tossed aside

Maybe Matthews will have a 100pts season at some point... maybe.

Maybe Matthews will actually show up in the playoffs... maybe.

Cleatus

Nov 21, 2008
Calgary, AB, CAN
Considering context, their rookie years were pretty equal, but Matthews has a long way to go to become comparable to 3rd year+ Malkin. I don't even think McDavid will ever be able to beat what Malkin did at his best, guy was an absolute monster.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
It's getting frustrating that certain people can only ever use stats on a per game basis to prove their points. It's as though they can't just watch the games and tell us what you see. These are probably the same people who were saying Bergeron is overrated because he hasn't hit 70 points in a few years.

From what I remember when Malkin first came over to the NHL, maybe barring his first season as he got used to the NA game (still had a better rookie year than Matthews) he was clearly dominant over everyone else in the league except Ovi/Cros. He was a contemporary with them but due to consistency issues and less media-attractive personality he was viewed as slightly lower, and probably rightfully so when we look back over their careers.

Matthews has been in the NHL for about 2 seasons now and he is going to be a HELL of a Hockey player but in my opinion he is not head and shoulders above any of the other top young players in today's game. Malkin/Cros/Ovi dominated everyone else pretty much the day they came into the NHL. I don't think Matthews is at the level.

Now with that being said, this 3rd season is a big one and could definitely change my mind. If this kid can go for 90-100 points with 45-50 goals and be in the top 5 in scoring we can revisit this debate. But as of right now, and from what I've seen watching the two, there's a sizeable gap that AM has to make up.

Reactions: Trilliann

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
07-08: Malone and Sykora
08-09: Fedotenko and Sykora
09-10: Fedotenko and Dupuis

Very interesting that Leaf fans keep saying ES ES ES over and over again yet purposely ignoring that fact.

Switch linemates and it wouldn't even be close. Malkin created and made plays every shift by himself, while opposing teams double teamed him. Matthews has yet to show that kind of potential much less being that kind of player today

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
It's getting frustrating that certain people can only ever use stats on a per game basis to prove their points. It's as though they can't just watch the games and tell us what you see. These are probably the same people who were saying Bergeron is overrated because he hasn't hit 70 points in a few years.

From what I remember when Malkin first came over to the NHL, maybe barring his first season as he got used to the NA game (still had a better rookie year than Matthews) he was clearly dominant over everyone else in the league except Ovi/Cros. He was a contemporary with them but due to consistency issues and less media-attractive personality he was viewed as slightly lower, and probably rightfully so when we look back over their careers.

Matthews has been in the NHL for about 2 seasons now and he is going to be a HELL of a Hockey player but in my opinion he is not head and shoulders above any of the other top young players in today's game. Malkin/Cros/Ovi dominated everyone else pretty much the day they came into the NHL. I don't think Matthews is at the level.

Now with that being said, this 3rd season is a big one and could definitely change my mind. If this kid can go for 90-100 points with 45-50 goals and be in the top 5 in scoring we can revisit this debate. But as of right now, and from what I've seen watching the two, there's a sizeable gap that AM has to make up.

Less attractive media personality? Malkin's interviews are gold. I'd take listening to him in front of a microphone any day over Sid or Ovi. He's like if Borat was in Slapshot. :sarcasm:

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
Malkin has the advantage of playing cushy min and the NHL was giving out PP's like candy after the lockout. You could hook a guy for 10 feet when he is on a break away and have it not called today. Much harder to put up points today.

Cleatus

Nov 21, 2008
Calgary, AB, CAN
Maybe Matthews will have a 100pts season at some point... maybe.

Maybe Matthews will actually show up in the playoffs... maybe.

A lot of fans seem to forget about an older (but still elite) Senators team making a young up and coming Pittsburgh squad look like complete ass in a 5 game series, once upon a time. Malkin had 0 goals and 4 assists, and Crosby didn't produce as well as he did in the regular season either.

What a joke that Pittsburgh roster turned out to be. Hopefully Toronto doesn't go down the same path.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
Less attractive media personality? Malkin's interviews are gold. I'd take listening to him in front of a microphone any day over Sid or Ovi. He's like if Borat was in Slapshot. :sarcasm:

Moreso pointing out how the former 2 were pretty much poster boys of their respective franchises and the whole NHL which elevated their status among the general public atleast. True hockey fans knew how good Malkin was but I still think this has somewhat impacted his legacy (wrongfully so). Like that Top 100 NHL players thing.....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad