Post-Game Talk: You lose 100% of the games you don't win - Michael Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
I just dropped in to say how proud I am of this team:) I love a week ago everyone was they are done washed up not making playoffs on the boards I didnt get loud just said I will believe they are out when I see them out lol.

Very proud.

P.S. Being both detroit and tampa fan I WANT NOTHING TO DO WITH YOU ALL IN THE PLAYOFFS!!

Just keep up the good work and hope get some guys back in time for a true run!!

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Very proud of this squad. Playing their hearts out and to be completely honest, I'm enjoying this as much as I've enjoyed any stretch of regular season hockey.

I get on Babcock a bit and rightfully so with some of his tendencies (the Cleary saga), but he's been tremendous this season down the stretch. I bet you when he looks back this will be one of his more memorable coaching seasons, regardless of what happens from here on out. He's doing a great job with the lineup and he just seems very hands on more than he's ever had too in Detroit. There was a closing stretch on the PK late in the 3rd and he had his arms around both Glendening and Miller. It was something that I've never seen of him before on the bench. And you hear him talk about how he can't just yell and scream at the kids and be a disciplinarian, but rather teach them and understand they're learning on the fly. He's a great coach. I feel like a lot of coaches wouldn't be able to handle this and the team would have fallen apart. Instead, we just had our most important 3-game stretch of the season.

Legwand and Alfie were good today. Alfie's getting more time to he patient in the offensive zone and Leggy made some nice patient plays with the puck as well.

I never thought Bertuzzi would work on a checking line, but he's been strong on the boards since returning. Glendening and Miller are just blue collar players that every team needs. They're earning their ice time right now.

The Kid Line isn't playing nearly as well as they were when Jurco was with them. They're not spending as much time in the offensive zone. They're all so talented though that they don't need much to make plays, so they're still very valuable. Nyquist just makes big plays and Sheahan is very strong on the puck and showing great vision and patience. For the record, no he's not close to the passer that Datsyuk is though lol.

Nice to see Helmer back. Just such a great player that even when he's just getting back into the swing of things he can make a big impact.

Finally we caught a break with Kronwall. I was terrified when he went down and not because I thought about him missing games. He wasn't moving at first.

Smith has stepped up tremendously.

Dekeyser and Quincey just continue to get it done.

Kindl still a train wreck with the puck in the defensive zone but finally made some plays on the PP.

I didn't love the first goal Howard gave up, but he made some big saves the rest of the way.

What a big win. Keep on rolling.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Missed this one, was at work. Unbelievable....no Datsyuk, no Zetterberg and yet the team will not quit. Let's keep this going.

Nyquist is just unbelievable. Its honestly hilarious that this guy was in the minor leagues this year.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
729m68.png

Sad Fugee faces.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Nyquist is just unbelievable. Its honestly hilarious that this guy was in the minor leagues this year.

Nyquist is on pace for a 70 point season if he spent the entire 82 game season in Detroit. It's not like a team fighting for their playoff lives couldn't have benefited from having him on the roster opening night.

It was much more important to have Dan Cleary on the roster!!

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
Nyquist is on pace for a 70 point season if he spent the entire 82 game season in Detroit. It's not like a team fighting for their playoff lives couldn't have benefited from having him on the roster opening night.

Can we give this stuff a rest? It's boring.

WesNichols14

Nov 22, 2011
Port Huron Michigan
Relevant though.

I thought about saying something similar to what he said when I first read it.

yes it may be relevant but its been overplayed. just like a song that was good but after the 100th listen it grows more irritating than enjoyable. if Cleary was still on the team in any real way it might be worth bringing up still, but he's not. they have basically made up injuries so that he didn't have to go to Grand Rapids and so it doesn't look like he lost his job to Jurco/Pulkkinen/Ferraro/ect... (IMO no way of proving this and don't what it to be taken as fact and make the site liable in any way)

Everyone on this board save for maybe a small small minority already know that Nyquist should have been up from the start, that Cleary should have never been signed, that Nyquist could be around a 70 point season, and that it could have helped us in the standings. So I see very little reason for someone to remind us of this fact every day on almost all threads. there was a reason we were threatened by mods earlier in the year about Cleary talks. Its a played out trend... if he gets resigned then we can erupt and storm Ken Hollands house. post how evil he is on all threads. Even the ones that have nothing to do with the Red Wings. I'm talking to you Phoenix Coyotes board.

lets all let it go. It was a bad move but bringing it up again and again will not grant us time travel and rescue us from that signing.

WesNichols14

Nov 22, 2011
Port Huron Michigan
He had a goal today...unfortunately some referees have a very vague interpretation of what incidental contact is.

I think it bounced off the defenseman not mule, which is why the call was such BS the goalie made the save then if hit the d-man and in.
so if it counted it would have been Smiths 2nd goal.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Sheahan is very capable defensively. That's always been one of his best assets.

He, Jurco, and Tatar put up a couple of brutal games on the defensive end of the ice. Sheahan has a talent for defense, but it's not yet up to NHL par. He'll get there.

Sheahan is better defensively than he's shown in Detroit thus far. But he has indeed been below average-to-bad in actual performance. Problem is, his line is being depended on for offense right now, so it's detracting from the defensive side of things for him. Especially with Tatar on the line. I love Tatar, I love his energy, but he is brutal defensively, which mostly manifests itself in his attempts to do too much with the puck, which results in consistent turnovers. I'm confident Sheahan will get better defensively, but right now he's being asked to focus his energies elsewhere.

Last edited:

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
I'll be the first to be upset about playing grinders 20 minutes while offensive studs get 10, but this game was incredibly well executed by the defense and we had leads for a decent amount of the game, whereas usually were fighting to keep up and score goals. Luke and Miller may not be positives but at least there's some benefit to them being strong neutralizers.

When guys like Miller and Glendening shut down the opposition's 1st line (two games in a row), they are absolutely positives. Even if they have 0 points, 0 shots, and accidentally taped their blades backwards.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
When guys like Miller and Glendening shut down the opposition's 1st line (two games in a row), they are absolutely positives. Even if they have 0 points, 0 shots, and accidentally taped their blades backwards.

Preach on Jaster preach!!! :yo:

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
I can't believe we won this game. I thought we would lose 2-1. Babcock has finally realized you have to score goals to win games. I think this is the difference between eastern and western conference.

Howard GAA 2, SV% .933, W, outplayed opponent. This is the 3rd game Howard outplays opponent. Great sign. I did not like how he got beat on that penalty shot, but this is almost a perfect game by him and I'll take it.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
I'll be the first to be upset about playing grinders 20 minutes while offensive studs get 10, but this game was incredibly well executed by the defense and we had leads for a decent amount of the game, whereas usually were fighting to keep up and score goals. Luke and Miller may not be positives but at least there's some benefit to them being strong neutralizers.

I believe Babcock plays Nyquist a little cause thus he keeps him fresh and dangerous and it seems it works, Nyquist produces. It does not mean necessarily he would produce even more with more icetime.

Johnz96*

I thought about saying something similar to what he said when I first read it.

yes it may be relevant but its been overplayed. just like a song that was good but after the 100th listen it grows more irritating than enjoyable. if Cleary was still on the team in any real way it might be worth bringing up still, but he's not. they have basically made up injuries so that he didn't have to go to Grand Rapids and so it doesn't look like he lost his job to Jurco/Pulkkinen/Ferraro/ect... (IMO no way of proving this and don't what it to be taken as fact and make the site liable in any way)

Everyone on this board save for maybe a small small minority already know that Nyquist should have been up from the start, that Cleary should have never been signed, that Nyquist could be around a 70 point season, and that it could have helped us in the standings. So I see very little reason for someone to remind us of this fact every day on almost all threads. there was a reason we were threatened by mods earlier in the year about Cleary talks. Its a played out trend... if he gets resigned then we can erupt and storm Ken Hollands house. post how evil he is on all threads. Even the ones that have nothing to do with the Red Wings. I'm talking to you Phoenix Coyotes board.

lets all let it go. It was a bad move but bringing it up again and again will not grant us time travel and rescue us from that signing.

It demonstrates the idiocy of the Red Wings brass, their inability to assess talent and their overvaluing of size and experience over overall ability and undervaluing talent without size and experience (you can't get experience unless you're afforded the opportunity)
I think trading Jarnkrok for Legwand is analogous to signing Cleary and keeping Nyquist in the minors.
Although Legwand is a better player than Cleary at this point and Nyquist may be a better player than Jarnkrok at this point (Jarnkrok has become just as dominant in the A as Nyquist was earlier in the season), I think it is even worse because we didn't just keep Jarnkrok in the minors longer than we had to but gave him all together along with a high pick.
Given the opportunity, I think Jarnkrok will prove to be as good as Legwand is already and will be much better whereas Legwand is in decline and much more expensive.

Johnz96*

I believe Babcock plays Nyquist a little cause thus he keeps him fresh and dangerous and it seems it works, Nyquist produces. It does not mean necessarily he would produce even more with more icetime.

Of course he would produce more with more time. You can't produce from the bench.
He usually gets a lot more ice-time.
If he got just as much ice-time in most games as he did in this one, a lot of you would still be wondering if he is any good.

Chip39

Apr 19, 2013

This is a great point. I think you should repeat it about ten times a week for the next ten season so nobody forgets how you were the only one that thought nyquist was going to score more than Dan Cleary.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
that Nyquist could be around a 70 point season, and that it could have helped us in the standings.

These two things are not true.

Very, very few people thought Nyquist would put up the type of production he has so far in his first year (70 pt pace) at the start of this year.

Also most folks said Nyquist is only 1 player, he's not going to make that much of a difference.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I can't believe we won this game. I thought we would lose 2-1. Babcock has finally realized you have to score goals to win games. I think this is the difference between eastern and western conference.

Howard GAA 2, SV% .933, W, outplayed opponent. This is the 3rd game Howard outplays opponent. Great sign. I did not like how he got beat on that penalty shot, but this is almost a perfect game by him and I'll take it.

Howard's giving us a shot every game lately and that's all you can ask. We had to rely on him exclusively during his rookie campaign given how bad Osgood was that year. He definitely has the off game and hasn't been as consistent as you would like this season but at least he's doing it right now with the season on the line.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
This is a great point. I think you should repeat it about ten times a week for the next ten season so nobody forgets how you were the only one that thought nyquist was going to score more than Dan Cleary.

Heh. Two things:

1. A number of us knew the second Cleary was signed that it would bury Nyquist in Grand Rapids. Ken Holland went on the air with Ken and Mickey during a pre-season game and they assured us that the signing wouldn't prevent Tatar from being on the Detroit roster. It was complete lunacy. I don't know if you follow the DRW Facebook page but fans have been very vocal about how unhappy they were with the Cleary signing. People who follow the team and talk about the team have been very vocal about what a raw deal that was. Sorry if you don't like that. Nyquist is the next superstar on this team and people think Pavel Datsyuk isn't treated fairly for whatever reason. There will be a portion of the fanbase that will not trust Holland based on his treatment of our next great superstar player. Deal with it.

2. Then there's the streak. The streak is kind of a big deal, particularly for a franchise that doesn't look to be a major Cup contender in the foreseeable future. I have to imagine missing the playoffs is something Ken Holland would like to avoid at pretty much all costs. Heck, he traded away a very good prospect at center just to have a sliver of a chance to keep the streak going. So if this ends up being the year when the streak gets snapped you will certainly have something to think about for the next ten seasons.

I don't get angry when people criticize Babcock, I pretty much just laugh. You don't need to take this so seriously. I watch about 95% of the games because I enjoy watching the team. I enjoy seeing guys like Nyquist, Tatar, Sheahan, Jurco and DeKeyser develop into very good NHL players. I enjoy seeing Howard when he is on his game.

Am I unhappy with how Ken Holland has managed the team ever since he traded for Kyle Quincey? You betchya I am. I gave him credit for signing Weiss which hasn't exactly worked out but I haven't criticized him much for that deal as it was clear Filppula was going to walk.

If you think the criticism is a broken record then by all means point out all the great moves Ken Holland has made over the past 4-5 years. :D

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Why is pointing out Holland's positives relevant to whether or not the Cleary jokes are overdone and no longer funny or clever?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese