Post-Game Talk: You Gelly ???? Sens Fans...... Devils win 5-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Good thing he has an entire year here next year!

Oh and, NJ players bolt all the time? Name them? And is it disproportionate to other players leaving other teams? "UFA's bolt from NJ all the time" give me a break.

Zach, Clarkson, Rafalski Nied's, Shanahan, Holik, Gomez, Driver, Martin? U serious with this? I bet we have one of the higher ratio's in the league in terms of losing high profile FA's.

But fine.

UFA's bolt from their respective teams every off season. Feel better? Are you willing to accept that teams do lose players to free agency?

&

What if Marty comes back next season(which I fully expect)?

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
What do you base this on? The only time Marty has expressed interest in retiring is when he loses more then he wins. I think he continues to play until he stops winning. I think the presence of Jagr might help fuel this attitude, but I think Marty had it anyway.

Marty said just last night, he wished that he was playing more then he now does. Said it with a laugh, but I'm pretty certain he was not fibbing.

Marty is 41. It is possible Marty wants to get to 700 wins and willing to be the team's backup (if he doesn't get there this year). Marty is also going to be working for the team immediately after he retires. You actually think he would be stupid enough to hurt the team's future so he can play at age 43?

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Marty is 41. It is possible Marty wants to get to 700 wins and willing to be the team's backup (if he doesn't get there this year). Marty is also going to be working for the team immediately after he retires. You actually think he would be stupid enough to hurt the team's future so he can play at age 43?

Is trading Schneids for a quality young fwd hurting the teams future?

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
What's hilarious to me is that some posters think that this team will win the cup by following another team's formula.

And those other teams that won the Cup drafted their impact forwards. Only LA is the exception and they already had Kopitar and Brown (playing out of his mind).

Kane and Eberle are not enough individually to vault this team into contention. We are better off trying to buy low on a few guys for the future - guys who can turn into what Justin Williams, Chris Kunitz and Patrick Sharp are.

We are better off doing those "Seidenberg"-type deals that make us laugh at Jim.

ThePSEGPowerPoster

LOSER POINTS!
Feb 23, 2013
Zach, Clarkson, Rafalski Nied's, Shanahan, Holik, Gomez, Driver, Martin? U serious with this? I bet we have one of the higher ratio's in the league in terms of losing high profile FA's.

But fine.

UFA's bolt from their respective teams every off season. Feel better? Are you willing to accept that teams do lose players to free agency?

&

What if Marty comes back next season(which I fully expect)?

So what do we have here: 9 players over the span of let's say 20 years? One that the team didn't want and low-balled (Clarkson), Shannahan (RFA, Lou declined to match offer sheet), Rafalski (past his prime and who Lou didn't match the 6 million from the Wings), Nieds, Holik (? What? Serious here?), Gomez, Driver (lol), Martin. Gomez and Martin were money-driven.

As we've already established no one can offer more than NJ, let's discount money here. Your list is underwhelming.

You're overreacting.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

It's not a matter of being stupid. All great players have egos. Marty's no exception. He doesn't want to be nudged out the door if he's even playing halfway decent. This could easily wind up being a Brett Favre-Aaron Rodgers type thing.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

How many teams even get that caliber of player to lose in the first place?

Sure we have a higher rate of losing guys. We haven't had too many seasons of 'being out of it' where you DO cash out and trade guys at the deadline. That's why a lot of teams don't lose FA's, they trade them off. Others like Detroit and the Flyers/Rangers can ridiculously overpay if they want to keep someone. That isn't always the case with us.

Uli Hiemer

Dr. Evil
Oct 19, 2011
Queens
I could see Brodeur playing till he's 45, and I'm not kidding.

He's made no indication that he wants to retire anytime soon, if he thinks he can play, he will play. And nothing this season so far has told him "no, i cannot play anymore" and if he thinks the Devils can win, he'll want to come back. The latter I think isn't happening anytime soon, but is it enough for him to let go of his career? doubt it.

I'm one who thinks signing Cory is a lost cause for a number of reasons.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
It's not a matter of being stupid. All great players have egos. Marty's no exception. He doesn't want to be nudged out the door if he's even playing halfway decent. This could easily wind up being a Brett Favre-Aaron Rodgers type thing.

So Marty leaves to another team, and Cory leads us to a Stanley Cup?

You got money grabbers who left, or guy we didn't want, and you have guys like Elias, Zubs, that have stayed.

This thought that Cory won't resign is overblown and overreacting.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
So what do we have here: 9 players over the span of let's say 20 years? One that the team didn't want and low-balled (Clarkson), Shannahan (RFA, Lou declined to match offer sheet), Rafalski (past his prime and who Lou didn't match the 6 million from the Wings), Nieds, Holik (? What? Serious here?), Gomez, Driver (lol), Martin. Gomez and Martin were money-driven.

As we've already established no one can offer more than NJ, let's discount money here. Your list is underwhelming.

You're overreacting.

We've lost one of our top goal scorers in each of the last 2 off seasons. and yeah losing a high profile FA every other off season is significant. Losing FA's is part of the fabric that Lou has woven. acting otherwise is some head in the sand business.

Underwhelming? Multiple Hall of Famers on there.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010

You're overreacting.

I will go further to say that of the above, we truly intended to resign only the guys who 'went home': Parise, Nieds.

all of the others were good non-signs, and I would have been upset if we tried to come anywhere close to the money that any of them received. Some were just about done as players, and some were grossly overpaid. I don't think any of the teams that received the services of the players you mentioned could in retrospect be happy with the outcome.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
We've lost one of our top goal scorers in each of the last 2 off seasons. and yeah losing a high profile FA every other off season is significant. Losing FA's is part of the fabric that Lou has woven. acting otherwise is some head in the sand business.

What high profile guy did we lose in FA in the past two seasons other then Zach? You can't mean Clarkson.

The Kovy situation is something entirely different. We resigned him in free agency.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
How many teams even get that caliber of player to lose in the first place?

Sure we have a higher rate of losing guys. We haven't had too many seasons of 'being out of it' where you DO cash out and trade guys at the deadline. That's why a lot of teams don't lose FA's, they trade them off. Others like Detroit and the Flyers/Rangers can ridiculously overpay if they want to keep someone. That isn't always the case with us.

That's my point. Or at least part of it.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010

Underwhelming? Multiple Hall of Famers on there.

Losing FAs is part of the fact that we pick and develop good talent, place them in a position to succeed, and sign them at good value.

Could this happen to Schneider? You bet. Next year, he could get the reins full time, come out and win a ridiculous amount of games with great stats.

Should we try to extend him early? You bet.

Does it mean that Lou or the team is taking a bad approach on handling our potential UFAs? I really don't think so.

ThePSEGPowerPoster

LOSER POINTS!
Feb 23, 2013

Oh so, uh, you're counting Kovy now. Got it. Even though he wasn't a UFA :laugh:. Guess it's not as big of a stretch as you adding Shanny to the list, despite Lou declining the offer sheet and going after Stevens.

And no, sorry, losing Clarkson isn't significant. Not in the slightest. I don't care how high-profile TSN thinks he is. Good luck in Toronto Clarky.

"Losing FA's is part of the fabric that Lou ahs woven" made me giggle-snort at work. Curse you (and thank you). You listed 9, one which is inapplicable (Shanny), another that's bad and a good move by Lou (Clarkson, but I guess you'll hold that against him), Holik (who was bought out 2 years into a 45/5 contract. AT age 34. Lauded as one of Lou's smartest moves), and Bruce Driver. 4 that you hold against Lou despite Lou not showing similar interest (or it being his fault in Shanny's case).

You have 5 acceptable examples. 2 of which left for ridiculous money (Gomez, Martin).

Your only viable example, to me, is Parise. But, hey, the sky is falling everyone leaves the Devils. Let's ignore how Nieds wouldn't have gone to Anaheim if his brother wasn't there. Just to aid you in your narrative.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011

And Green Bay was super smart in letting Favre go. I think it is 50/50 that Marty plays next year and I think he only plays knowing he is okay with it being Cory's team.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I will go further to say that of the above, we truly intended to resign only the guys who 'went home': Parise, Nieds.

all of the others were good non-signs, and I would have been upset if we tried to come anywhere close to the money that any of them received.
Some were just about done as players, and some were grossly overpaid. I don't think any of the teams that received the services of the players you mentioned could in retrospect be happy with the outcome.

Fact that teams overpay factors fully into my argument.

What high profile guy did we lose in FA in the past two seasons other then Zach? You can't mean Clarkson.

Why can't I mean Clarkson? Dude led the team in goals last year and scored 30 the year prior. Guy got a $35 million contract. Is that not high profile?

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Oh so, uh, you're counting Kovy now. Got it. Even though he wasn't a UFA :laugh:. Guess it's not as big of a stretch as you adding Shanny to the list, despite Lou declining the offer sheet and going after Stevens.

And no, sorry, losing Clarkson isn't significant. Not in the slightest. I don't care how high-profile TSN thinks he is. Good luck in Toronto Clarky.

"Losing FA's is part of the fabric that Lou ahs woven" made me giggle-snort at work. Curse you (and thank you). You listed 9, one which is inapplicable (Shanny), another that's bad and a good move by Lou (Clarkson, but I guess you'll hold that against him), Holik (who was bought out 2 years into a 45/5 contract. AT age 34. Lauded as one of Lou's smartest moves), and Bruce Driver. 4 that you hold against Lou despite Lou not showing similar interest (or it being his fault in Shanny's case).

You have 5 acceptable examples. 2 of which left for ridiculous money (Gomez, Martin).

Your only viable example, to me, is Parise. But, hey, the sky is falling everyone leaves the Devils. Let's ignore how Nieds wouldn't have gone to Anaheim if his brother wasn't there. Just to aid you in your narrative.

Never said Kovy.

And you asked what FA's have left the team. I listed 2 HOF's, a perenial all star, our leading goal scorer from last year, numerous other all stars and you come back with "Underwhelming" get out of here with that ish.

But that is all besides the point and I won't argue further. Don't need to, I won all ready. :handclap:

Bottom line is, if you don't think Cory could walk next year, you are ignoring reality.

ThePSEGPowerPoster

LOSER POINTS!
Feb 23, 2013
Fact that teams overpay factors fully into my argument.

Your argument is fallacious. To quote you: "Losing FA's is part of the fabric that Lou has woven" and "I bet we have one of the higher ratio's in the league in terms of losing high profile FA's."

Both of which are wrong.

Why can't I mean Clarkson? Dude led the team in goals last year and scored 30 the year prior. Guy got a $35 million contract. Is that not high profile?

So now we're counting guys that Lou didn't want :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad