Post-Game Talk: You Gelly ???? Sens Fans...... Devils win 5-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
Lou not re-signing Marty,if he wants to continue playing, would be a bold, bold move. Favre and Rogers is a good example of a similar scenario. Paid off well for GB. If Dev's could get similar results I'd be ecstatic. But again, BOLD move.

Not really bold. I can't see Marty wanting more than 1 year deal and that is only to be Cory's backup.

Honestly what team would Marty sign with just so he can be the #1? We are the only one that have loyalty to him.

I think it is 50/50 he plays next year and if he does it is because he wants to do a farewell year.

Maybe Marty enjoys being the teams back up and getting ~15 starts a year, but that seems unlikely since he will be going to the FO immediately.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Not really bold. I can't see Marty wanting more than 1 year deal and that is only to be Cory's backup.

Honestly what team would Marty sign with just so he can be the #1? We are the only one that have loyalty to him.

I think it is 50/50 he plays next year and if he does it is because he wants to do a farewell year.

Maybe Marty enjoys being the teams back up and getting ~15 starts a year, but that seems unlikely since he will be going to the FO immediately.

I can def see Marty wanting to continue to play as a #1 or 50/50 split.

Don't see him taking back up roll, if only because I doubt he'd want to travel all over while not playing.

Until I hear otherwise I'm assuming Marty wants to continue playing.

Roomtemperature

Apr 8, 2008
New Jersey

Don't see him taking back up roll, if only because I doubt he'd want to travel all over while not playing.

No I don't see him getting anything close to a 50/50 split next year because we won't have the insane number of back to backs next year.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010

Impossible to speculate, right?
He could get hurt, he could see a significant drop off, this season could end up with a cup or a disasterous lottery pick debacle, he could get 700 wins, an asst GM position with the Devs might open up, he could want to watch his son play in the QMJL or coach his other son, or....

He hasn't said he is done - and I'm still not sure his quote earlier this year with saying 'Cory has taken over' was a passive aggressive rallying cry, or him just practicing the phrase to see what it sounded like in his mouth.

We'll just have to wait and see.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
I would not underestimate the extent to which Marty will do what's best for the organization.

If that means being Cory's backup in order to get to 700 and also secure the team a no. 1 for the next decade, he will do it.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I hate to be that guy but oddly enough, Marty has a higher even strength save percentage than Cory right now. 914 for Marty, 912 for Cory. The reason Cory has a much higher one overall is because he's been drastically better on the penalty kill. Marty with an 866 shorthanded save percentage, Cory with a 926.

I'm sure the last couple games have had something to do with it. Cory gave up 3 even strength goals in his last game, Marty hasn't given up an even strength goal for 2 games in a row.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Fayne is going to get traded, it's the only realistic option the Devils have.

I completely agree.

It's a bummer, 'cause I like the guy - and his trade value probably isn't what it should be, because he is not a 'big event' defenseman.

I thought something would happen to Volch, but he's been pretty good all year long, so it doesn't make sense to waive him.

I have to think that Harrold gets waived.

Uli Hiemer

Dr. Evil
Oct 19, 2011
Queens
I just hope Cory isn't rusty tomorrow. I know he's use to not playing for long periods, but still...his timing looked really off in the Pens game, and I think that was from the layoff of not playing for a week.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I forgot, is Harrold injured right now? Or is he a healthy scratch? I can't keep up anymore.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
I hate to be that guy but oddly enough, Marty has a higher even strength save percentage than Cory right now. 914 for Marty, 912 for Cory. The reason Cory has a much higher one overall is because he's been drastically better on the penalty kill. Marty with an 866 shorthanded save percentage, Cory with a 926.

I'm sure the last couple games have had something to do with it. Cory gave up 3 even strength goals in his last game, Marty hasn't given up an even strength goal for 2 games in a row.

I refuse to take your bait for another Cory is better than Brodeur debate, sir... :)

I'll save us some time:
Marty is old and washed up.
No he isn't.
Cory is better.
No he isn't.
wins
sav%
it's a 50-50 split until a goalie gets hot.

done.

ajdevjet

we got 3
Aug 20, 2013
In your face !
I still think Larsson is far and away our best defensive prospect. Merrill and Gelinas have both been great, but people need to understand that Larsson is much better than Gelinas and better than Merrill in the defensive zone. He is also like a year younger than Merrill and nearly two years younger than Gelinas.

I would be greatly upset if we trade away any one of that group. Once Sal comes back it is going to very interesting to see what Lou does. I am thinking Merrill has to be sent back down to the AHL until we move one of Volch, Sal, and Zidlicky.

Greene - Larsson
Gelinas -Zidlicky
Volch - Sal
Fayne

Larson is much better than Gelinas ??? Gelinas has made more of an impact in 20 somthing games than Larsson has since he's been a devil

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I refuse to take your bait for another Cory is better than Brodeur debate, sir... :)

I'll save us some time:
Marty is old and washed up.
No he isn't.
Cory is better.
No he isn't.
wins
sav%
it's a 50-50 split until a goalie gets hot.

done.
I still think Cory is better, or at least more consistent. I also believe that this team giving up the fewest shots on goal in the league, is very deceiving.

I've been saying for years now, the 24 shots on goal we give up in all are as dangerous as the 35 shots on goal they give up down in Dallas.

So in other words. 24 shots on goal in Jersey is like facing 35 shots on goal in Dallas.

sbresistor

Jul 25, 2007
who were the vezina finalists last year? Bobrovsky & the queen struggling with the GAA this year Tim Thomas too

Uli Hiemer

Dr. Evil
Oct 19, 2011
Queens
:laugh:

Oh boy. I don't know if you realize what you've just done :D.

I wasn't implying that Brodeur isn't getting wins or he shouldn't be playing....

It just reminds me of comments like "the devils are boring" and

does it really matter? i don't care if the goalie is a sumo wrestler...and never moves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad