Post-Game Talk: You Gelly ???? Sens Fans...... Devils win 5-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

sbresistor

Jul 25, 2007
I think Jonathan Quick is better than Brodeur and Schneider - but based on GAA and save pct, he is worse than both

but he is better in the wins vs. losses stat...maybe wins are the most important

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I think Jonathan Quick is better than Brodeur and Schneider - but based on GAA and save pct, he is worse than both

but he is better in the wins vs. losses stat...maybe wins are the most important

Lower GAA and higher save percentage will lead to more wins. I kinda think Quick is overrated a little anyway. I'd like a Kings fan to tell me Brodeur is a product of the system. Their goalie who supposedly is the reason they're not a lottery team, has been out for a month and the other two goalies have a combined 6 shutouts.

Quick is also a BIG reason that they got snuffed by the Blackhawks in the WCF last year. Let in all kinds of long shots that I haven't seen scored since 1983.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
Lou is going to sit down with Cory after the year and say "look, Marty isn't going to be around forever. Look at Adam, Eric, and Jon. Look at Reid. We have a few more kids in the pipeline to protect your net. Look at my 3 Cups. You have the potential to be competitive here for the next decade. I've done it before."

Cory isn't going anywhere. He's a vital - probably the most important - part of this plan.

Cory is going to laugh and say, "We're going to lose alot of 2-1 games by my estimation. Sorry, but Mr. Snider is on hold."

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Cory is going to laugh and say, "We're going to lose alot of 2-1 games by my estimation. Sorry, but Mr. Snider is on hold."

Unbelievable.:laugh::laugh:

Does every board have a resident doomsayer?

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Tim thomas was a vezina finalist last year ? Amazing....and he didn't even need to play a single game to ger nominated..

Yup. Thomas hasn't been a Vezina finalist since the last year he won it which was 2011. Bobrovsky, Lundqvist, and Niemi were the finalists last year. Niemi probably should have won it IMO. Bobrovsky had to be the first Vezina winner on a non playoff team as far back as I can remember.

Schneider probably would have gotten a nomination if not for an injury in the last two weeks of the season.

OpethNJD

loldevils
Jan 13, 2013
Vernon, Nj
I don't wanna say we're world beaters or anything, but I recall us being a bubble team in 2012, and I truly feel this team is better than the 2012 team...sure we lost kovy parise and lolclarkson but the emergence of our blue line along with our new forwards seemingly getting used to the Deboer system makes me hopeful that we can make noise in the playoffs...barring a Pittsburgh or Boston first round matchup

ThePSEGPowerPoster

LOSER POINTS!
Feb 23, 2013
I don't wanna say we're world beaters or anything, but I recall us being a bubble team in 2012, and I truly feel this team is better than the 2012 team...sure we lost kovy parise and lolclarkson but the emergence of our blue line along with our new forwards seemingly getting used to the Deboer system makes me hopeful that we can make noise in the playoffs...barring a Pittsburgh or Boston first round matchup

Pittsburgh doesn't scare me. Boston is the biggest threat to us, in my opinion, in the East. As much as I hate PDB I've never denied how well his system translates to the playoffs. How his system will keep us in nearly every game (barring a stupid penalty, Bernier, or missed empty nets, Fayne).

If we get in we can beat anyone over a 7 game series because players like Zajac, Jagr, Henrique, Elias, Bernier, Carter, and our D are so infuriating to play against in a 7 game series. Especially when you tack on Cory or Marty defending net.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
As I was saying last night, Pittsburgh will be very vulnerable this year if they don't trade for a goalie. MAF always melts down in the playoffs. They should have beaten the Flyers in 2012, they scored enough goals, but they didn't because of MAF. They should have sailed past the Islanders, but MAF almost sunk them.

I think we can beat them in the playoffs. We seem to match up well against them.

OpethNJD

loldevils
Jan 13, 2013
Vernon, Nj
As I was saying last night, Pittsburgh will be very vulnerable this year if they don't trade for a goalie. MAF always melts down in the playoffs. They should have beaten the Flyers in 2012, they scored enough goals, but they didn't because of MAF. They should have sailed past the Islanders, but MAF almost sunk them.

I think we can beat them in the playoffs. We seem to match up well against them.

The most infuriating thing about our team is we always match up well vs the best in the league...then lose/nearly get eliminated by teams like Florida.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
The most infuriating thing about our team is we always match up well vs the best in the league...then lose/nearly get eliminated by teams like Florida.

That's true. Winnipeg is another team we make look like the 80s Oilers. The Flyers pass them around like a blow up doll, but we can't even beat them. That's why the Flyers have passed us. They beat most of the toilet teams, we don't.

Mory Schneideur*

I agree. People were very down on the 2012 team, even during the fun. With hindsight everyone has flipped hover saying "I told u so". Yeah right lol!

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

No one should be afraid of Pitt and MAF is the exact reason. It is teams like Boston that you should be scared of.

Mory Schneideur*

If Marty comes back next season, he's going to take a reduced role imho. If that's not good for him, which I don't see being a problem, he's going to retire. This is all assuming he finishes this season healthy and in good standing. He's talked about maybe paying elsewhere and all that, but lets be real, the chances of seeing him in another sweater are basically zero. Lou is not going to push him out the door, but both men know that next year is way too important for the future of the franchise. If they plan on having Cory stick around, he's got to be the man next year. They have to make the transition.

Marty is still plenty capable, but the consistency is just not what it used to be. He can't maintain his highest level for as many consecutive games as he used to. It used to be that he would get into a zone and it would / could last for months. Now, if you get two or three solid games, it's best to spot the guy and give him a break. And this is just going to degrade as time passes by. This is a transitional year for both him and Cory and it should be that way unless Marty completely falters. You just don't dismiss the perosn who has been defending the goal for 2/3 rds of your franchise's existence. Next year, however, the timing is optimal to pass the torch and for Marty, if he wants and is capable of hanging around, to become a backup.

I don't fully blame Marty or his age for that, we used to have some good teams compared to the crap we've been icing the last 5 seasons. He declined but not to the point where he can only sting together a few games at a time, he's still far from that. Its the team that is making him look worse than he is at this point.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
If Marty comes back next season, he's going to take a reduced role imho. If that's not good for him, which I don't see being a problem, he's going to retire. This is all assuming he finishes this season healthy and in good standing. He's talked about maybe paying elsewhere and all that, but lets be real, the chances of seeing him in another sweater are basically zero. Lou is not going to push him out the door, but both men know that next year is way too important for the future of the franchise. If they plan on having Cory stick around, he's got to be the man next year. They have to make the transition.

Marty is still plenty capable, but the consistency is just not what it used to be. He can't maintain his highest level for as many consecutive games as he used to. It used to be that he would get into a zone and it would / could last for months. Now, if you get two or three solid games, it's best to spot the guy and give him a break. And this is just going to degrade as time passes by. This is a transitional year for both him and Cory and it should be that way unless Marty completely falters. You just don't dismiss the perosn who has been defending the goal for 2/3 rds of your franchise's existence. Next year, however, the timing is optimal to pass the torch and for Marty, if he wants and is capable of hanging around, to become a backup.
Great post and I agree completely. I'll take back Marty as long as he wants to play, but after this year he needs to be a pure backup. I'm not sure if I trust Pete to treat him that way. He didn't exactly handle the defense situation well last year, and at times he hasn't handled the goalie situation well either.
I don't fully blame Marty or his age for that, we used to have some good teams compared to the crap we've been icing the last 5 seasons. He declined but not to the point where he can only sting together a few games at a time, he's still far from that. Its the team that is making him look worse than he is at this point.
This probably is one of the poorest teams Marty has been on both defensively and offensively. I'm still holding firm that it's one of the worst coached teams he's been on as well. We had some low scoring teams in the past too, but this one has been pretty bad at times. The Marty of 10 years ago or even possibly 5 years ago could carry this team. The Marty of then was better than Schneider ever will be, and he was definitely better than the Marty of now.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
And one more thing I wanna point out about the goalies, and I'm looking at the stats and fenwick/corsi and people here.

Both goalies have let in their fair share of weak goals. When both of them are average or below average in even strength save percentage, I think you gotta look at the team. Saying this team is good defensively because we only average 24 shots against per game is a complete fallacy. This team is NOT that good defensively. And I don't mean the blue line, I mean the team defensive game.

I realize Cory was probably significant better at even strength before his Pittsburgh game and before Marty's last two. Right now Marty has been better at even strength and I know these things fluctuate with games played. Schneider has been a significantly better penalty killer. The high quality scoring opportunities on 24 shots are usually on par with the 35 shots another team allows. Last night most of the 25 shots were not too high quality other than the 2 that were goals. Marty's 33 save shutout was much safer than the 23 shots he or Schneider faced in Columbus and Pittsburgh.

I wouldn't be surprised if both of our goalies have an average or below average even strength save percentage when all is said and done this year.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
That's true. Winnipeg is another team we make look like the 80s Oilers. The Flyers pass them around like a blow up doll, but we can't even beat them. That's why the Flyers have passed us. They beat most of the toilet teams, we don't.

They also have more skilled/offensive players overall which helps them beat the trash teams.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
They also have more skilled/offensive players overall which helps them beat the trash teams.

They are better offensively on paper than we are, but I think they've scored around the same as us.

The Devils just don't give nearly a 60 minute effort against the Winnipeg's and Columbus's of the league. Or the skeleton Detroit team where we put 11 shots on net.

Also the shutout from the legendary Ray Emery. The Flyers beat us that night and we barely showed up. That had to be one of the worst games we've played in years. It was right up there with the last 50+ minutes of game 3 of the Florida series when we stopped playing when they put POS Clemmensen in net and the team p***yed out.

The Flyers probably haven't blown as many leads as us either. Although they did blow a 3 goal lead to Washington the other day.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad