You are Bergevin, do you buy, sell or stay put?

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
there's a few days left. Murray would probably take Markov and picks, then trade Markov for a player and picks, then trade said player...

If Murray trades Halak, Moulson, and Stewart for picks this could be the most eventful sell off in history, and every Hab fan will be wanting it replicated by MB. Only problem being we don't have Vanek and Miller as starting points.

There's also no way that ownership would allow the habs to be where buffalo will be the next few years.

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
Since i'm not a professional trade broker I'll wake up (late, as usual) for the next few days and read about what's happened in the NHL. It my not be as meaningful as what happens on the stock market or currency exchange but its a lot more entertaining.

P.S. I don't expect to see Ovechkin or Malkin in the bleu blanc rouge. However, I wouldn't be surprised to see Halak wearing a Penguin jersey.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Not re-signing the General will be a huge mistake. His leadership alone is difficult to replace. He must be signed.

missthenet

Feb 20, 2003
Visit site
Not re-signing the General will be a huge mistake. His leadership alone is difficult to replace. He must be signed.

If he is not signed to a contract by midnight tuesday they need to trade him imho. they cannot afford to take a chance on losing him for absolutely nothing just to make the playoffs. A future habs team getting something for Markov is far better than a habs team losing him for nothing.

macavoy

May 27, 2009
Houston, Tx
If he is not signed to a contract by midnight tuesday they need to trade him imho. they cannot afford to take a chance on losing him for absolutely nothing just to make the playoffs. A future habs team getting something for Markov is far better than a habs team losing him for nothing.

Subban, Price, Pacioretty, Galchenyuk & Gallagher all lack playoff experience beyond the first round, without Markov, your basically sentencing them to a first round exit and adding a playoff choker label to them.

If we want to be serious contenders in 1-3 years, you keep Markov to help gain experience for your kids that are our future. Winning and confidence ARE IMPORTANT to young players.

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
Subban, Price, Pacioretty, Galchenyuk & Gallagher all lack playoff experience beyond the first round, without Markov, your basically sentencing them to a first round exit and adding a playoff choker label to them.

If we want to be serious contenders in 1-3 years, you keep Markov to help gain experience for your kids that are our future. Winning and confidence ARE IMPORTANT to young players.

Even with Markov, we won't past the first round.

68*

SELL. I hope that Bergevin knows what he has to do and that Molson won't stop him from doing that.

Rise from the Ashes

Price defies corsi
Sep 13, 2005
Pointe-Claire, QC
Buy face-off man, top-nine forward with grit + skill.

Sell Bourque and Moen.

A combination of buying and selling.

For example, acquire David Moss from Coyotes for cheap.

Dump Bourque + draft pick to Florida for Marcel Goc.

Phil Parent

Sorel, 'fant d'chienne!
Feb 4, 2005
Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
Markov has always signed his contracts late and doesn't want to leave in the slightest. He has his routine here and he doesn't seem like the type of guy to want change. I say he stays, resigned or not.

Players I would try to move:

Moen, Bourque & Gionta.

Do I think I get anything useful out of this? I don't expect anything good NOW. But, I better get good potential for Moen & Bourque otherwise I lose nothing by keeping them.

In Gionta's case, it's this double-edged sword: He's the team captain NOW, but he'll also be gone this off-season. So moving him could disrupt team spirit BUT I really wonder how much. You do risk losing him for nothing though.

ALSO, not fond of Beaulieu's attitude at all and would totally move him for an equivalent prospect on the wing that would have better character. But again, you lose nothing by keeping him.

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
Markov has always signed his contracts late and doesn't want to leave in the slightest. He has his routine here and he doesn't seem like the type of guy to want change. I say he stays, resigned or not.

Players I would try to move:

Moen, Bourque & Gionta.

Do I think I get anything useful out of this? I don't expect anything good NOW. But, I better get good potential for Moen & Bourque otherwise I lose nothing by keeping them.

In Gionta's case, it's this double-edged sword: He's the team captain NOW, but he'll also be gone this off-season. So moving him could disrupt team spirit BUT I really wonder how much. You do risk losing him for nothing though.

ALSO, not fond of Beaulieu's attitude at all and would totally move him for an equivalent prospect on the wing that would have better character. But again, you lose nothing by keeping him.
What do you mean of beaulieu's attitude?????

missthenet

Feb 20, 2003
Visit site

I also said if he is not signed. Cannot gamble with losing him for nothing. It has happened to many times before. The habs can use going forward what ever Markov can bring in a trade. Getting nothing is not an option.

Phil Parent

Sorel, 'fant d'chienne!
Feb 4, 2005
Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
What do you mean of beaulieu's attitude?????

I hate his sense of entitlement. Whenever something happens that he doesn't like, he starts pouting and his play goes to crap.

Latest exemple: Following his nice showing with us, he was sent down during the olympic break so that he could play and continue his development. It was only a formality that, if he kept playing good, he would be brought back as soon as the break was done.

Well, Mr. Beaulieu seemingly wanted the days off, because at his age he really needs them, lots of wear and tear on his body, as he completely dissapeared during the olympic break, except for that first game down there.

So the Habs called up Tinordi instead. Has that motivated him? No, he's even more disinterested than he was.

This raises a red flag for me, this is a guy who could one day **** in our hands when we need him the most because he doesn't have as much ice time as he wants, or isn't offered enough money as he'd like.

The opposite of that attitude would have been that of Max Pacioretty who wisely said "Bottom six in Montreal? **** this, send me down! I'll play more down there! I'll show you I can be top six" And he did! And he is! And he took an hometown rebate on his contract because he wants to be here! Great attitude, he'll be here forever!

And that is why I feel Nathan Beaulieu has a red flag attached to him. Nothing against the player when he gives his effort, he sort of reminds me of Brisebois, and that's a good thing, Brisebois was decent enough, it's his contract that was bad. But if he's gonna start pouting whenever something happens he doesn't like, he's gonna get ran out of town eventually.

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
I hate his sense of entitlement. Whenever something happens that he doesn't like, he starts pouting and his play goes to crap.

Latest exemple: Following his nice showing with us, he was sent down during the olympic break so that he could play and continue his development. It was only a formality that, if he kept playing good, he would be brought back as soon as the break was done.

Well, Mr. Beaulieu seemingly wanted the days off, because at his age he really needs them, lots of wear and tear on his body, as he completely dissapeared during the olympic break, except for that first game down there.

So the Habs called up Tinordi instead. Has that motivated him? No, he's even more disinterested than he was.

This raises a red flag for me, this is a guy who could one day **** in our hands when we need him the most because he doesn't have as much ice time as he wants, or isn't offered enough money as he'd like.

The opposite of that attitude would have been that of Max Pacioretty who wisely said "Bottom six in Montreal? **** this, send me down! I'll play more down there! I'll show you I can be top six" And he did! And he is! And he took an hometown rebate on his contract because he wants to be here! Great attitude, he'll be here forever!

And that is why I feel Nathan Beaulieu has a red flag attached to him. Nothing against the player when he gives his effort, he sort of reminds me of Brisebois, and that's a good thing, Brisebois was decent enough, it's his contract that was bad. But if he's gonna start pouting whenever something happens he doesn't like, he's gonna get ran out of town eventually.

Wow I did no know that. Baby pants

axman88

Apr 5, 2007
The issue is that Bergevin has the philosophy that if you can get into the playoffs then anything can happen!

Last year we saw that he wasn't willing to give up the farm to get high-talent players and therefore stood still and only got players like drewisky...low cost...low risk player.

With all the twitter rumors running wild saying "he's in on this player, he's in on that player." My belief is that he is sniffing around but isn't willing, again, to give up the farm. It has to make sense, for the present and for the future. Just look at the Cole trade. He traded Eric Cole for a player of similar value (Michael Ryder) along with a pick. Ryder was to help the team make the playoffs, in place of Cole (as no one else in the minors was able to fill that role) even if they had no intention to resign him. And the pick was to help for the future, either through drafting or adding it to a trade.

In terms of resigning Markov or trading him, again, it has to make sense for the habs presently and for the future. If Bergevin can't make a trade that will benefit the team for THIS year AND for FUTURE years, then he will probably opt to retain Markov and resign him. If however, a team comes up with a trade that absolutely blows his mind away, for example, a young and coming player (probably in the league from anywhere between 2-5 years) who has the potential to be a difference maker, + a highly touted prospect + a high to mid-round pick then you could bet your bottom dollar that Bergevin will seriously consider the deal...discuss it with his staff and determine if they believe that it will benefit the club NOW and LATER.
He isn't going to trade Markov for just anyone...he'll only trade if he believes that the players coming back fit into the clubs plans.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Make hockey deals..

Sell the players that are not part of the long-term core capable of competing and contending.

otto bond

Jan 8, 2007
Make hockey deals..

Sell the players that are not part of the long-term core capable of competing and contending.

This should have been an option. That is why I voted say pat.
Selling is one thing so is buying, just make strong hockey moves.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal

I didn't know those details and it's possible you're right about Beaulieu. But I'd think it's the responsibility of the Habs organization to teach this kid the right attitude. Isn't that as much a part of development as skating and shooting? Plenty of young players started out with 'attitude' and had to learn discipline. But they learned, because their organizations had a culture that demanded a standard of behaviour and nurtured it.

For a team whose focus is supposedly all about "Building through the draft", here's the perfect project: a talented but raw draft pick. So build already.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I didn't know those details and it's possible you're right about Beaulieu. But I'd think it's the responsibility of the Habs organization to teach this kid the right attitude. Isn't that as much a part of development as skating and shooting? Plenty of young players started out with 'attitude' and had to learn discipline. But they learned, because their organizations had a culture that demanded a standard of behaviour and nurtured it.

For a team whose focus is supposedly all about "Building through the draft", here's the perfect project: a talented but raw draft pick. So build already.
Problem is... we've seen them "fix" Subban.

Maybe Beaulieu is a different case but the whole saga with Subban was totally unnecessary. We'll see, but I don't have a whole lot of faith in this organization when it comes to this kind of stuff.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Problem is... we've seen them "fix" Subban.

Maybe Beaulieu is a different case but the whole saga with Subban was totally unnecessary. We'll see, but I don't have a whole lot of faith in this organization when it comes to this kind of stuff.

Yeah, that's my concern too. Seems like many teams are good at turning around problem-players, but we haven't been one of them.

The ongoing Subban saga worries me, but I'd still bet money the team will sign him long-term, and that he'll still be a happy Hab when Therrien is a crabby Anti-Chambre analyst.

firewagon77*

If you re-sign Markov which they are going to do then you have to add to it,so you can have a legitimate chance to make the finals in a pretty wide open eastern conference.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad