You are Bergevin, do you buy, sell or stay put?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Off topic, but sick avatar.

Off topic domino effect, but it got me to listen to "Chaos Is Me" and what users describe as Screamo, Black Metal, Pure Emo Violence, Blast Beat, Power/EmoViolence, Emocore, Grindcore, Crust Punk, Emo with Power Violence.

No lack of imagination in these descriptives.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
McKenna: Dreger says based on everything he's hearing, things are quiet in MTL heading toward the deadline.

Darren Dreger‏@DarrenDreger·3 mins
Florida closing in on a trade involving d-man Mike Weaver. Canadiens are among teams with interest in Weaver. Draft pick likely return.

Lol...

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
All of a sudden, the "staying put" option in this thread's poll, looks massively appealing.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Been that way every deadline since forever. Why do we even have pro scouts and all those assistan GM?

Because trades and signing don't just happen at the trade deadline.

...and pro scouts also give scouting reports on future opponents.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Wish he would sell, scared he will waste picks on depth. I'm going to go for the middle ground and hope he stands pat.

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007

We traded for Drewiske, Parros, Weise. Signed guys like Briere.

At least, let's say that they are not too good at scouting. :sarcasm:

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011

They haven't done anything of note.

Bergie coulda had me for a fraction of the cost and I would have contributed at worse....just as little.

HABS win CUPS*

We traded for Drewiske, Parros, Weise. Signed guys like Briere.

At least, let's say that they are not too good at scouting. :sarcasm:

well we did get Subban and Gallagher pretty deep in their drafts but yea our NHL scouting seems to be godawful (Bourque etcetcetc)

JayKing

Go Habs Go
Dec 30, 2011
Montreal
Obviously we aren't the ducks, but this is a prime example to those saying you're either buyers or sellers. They get rid of Penner & Fasth while acquiring Robidas, were rumoured to be in on Vanek until recently and now are serious contenders for Kesler.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
Obviously we aren't the ducks, but this is a prime example to those saying you're either buyers or sellers. They get rid of Penner & Fasth while acquiring Robidas, were rumoured to be in on Vanek until recently and now are serious contenders for Kesler.

Its easy to become a franchise like that. The model has been laid out for all to see. The Boston Bruins. Chiarelli is a genius.

TennisMenace

Jul 3, 2008
Buffalo
If I'm MB, I would go away tonight for a day locked away on some island and sleep all day.

I'm sure this will be better than picking up another 180 pound guy.

Montreal Impact FC

.:| Champ's City |:.
Jun 7, 2012
Montreal
I know im minority but I say buy. Keep markov... got to keep him or this teams goes back to mediocrity then sign a top 6 winger (Jagr) we take a small gamble (lets take a risk here im offering a 2nd for him) then we give hope to our fans wich reenergies the bell center and send the right message to the kids (gallagher, galchenyuk, eller, subban bournival and co).. we can achieve something. I dont think we can but adding Jagr would spread the offense on 2 lines... wich would make us so much more a threat.

1. Buy - Get a top 6 for the fans sake (hope)
2. Keep as is - shows we arent really trying anything
3. Sell - we cant achieve nothing yet we are 2nd in conf (we get something in return and we give up, terrible message to fans)

Habskrieg

Apr 6, 2008
Germany
I wouldn't mind if Bergevin doesn't do anything. And I mean that in a sincere, non-pessimistic and in a non-"Oh, I was expecting it" kind of way. I think making the right deals for the team without getting fleeced is very difficult to do.

I'm not a huge Bergevin fanboy. But I do believe he looks out for trades. Sure Drewiskie wasn't a big one, mostly useless, what ever it didn't cost us much. The Weaver trade, ok depth move, maybe just to replace Bouillon maybe to make another trade. Either way, I hear good things for him. If it doesn't pan out, oh well, didn't cost much. Weise, I heard plenty ***** that Diaz was worth more. So far, I see us as winners here. Diaz is scratched. Trading away Cole was a great move. While Ryder was somewhat disappointing in the playoffs, he was good during the season and he also provided us with a cap dump. Some say it was in order to sign Brière... I don't believe that was the initial plan. I'm not going to say it was a god move. I didn't want Brière, I still don't. But considering he's had 3rd/4th line play, he's produced fairly well. Yet, I stil don't like the contract. In the end, Bergevin tried something. Funny enough, that's what most people here whining are asking him to do: "Make a move" "Try something".

Which brings me to my point. I'm convinced he's trying. I want results like everyone else. I would love to get Moulson and have him signed. Yakupov would be awesome too. Erat would have been a nice pick up too. Oh well, Phoenix got the deal done. I'd love to get rid of Bourque and Brière. And more... But who's to say he hasn't tried? Journalists? Why, because they know everything that's going on? If anything, today shows that they don't know as much as they let off. Hell, I look at some of the trades today, and I'm glad we aren't at the end of some of those. And maybe, is it just remotely possible that he made offers and was told no? Or the opposite?

I mean, we heard of the potential deal that didn't fall through. The one Between Montreal and Tampa, for Lecavalier, when Gainey was still around. That claim is a rumor as well. But I think we can all agree that we're glad it didn't happen.

So what's to say Bergevin isn't trying? But just hasn't gotten the right offer or managed to sell his deals? Hell, I don't want Penner, nor MacDonald. I don't think any of them fit for us. Hell, some people want to trade players for picks, blow the roster up.

Then again, why do I even bother?

Habskrieg

Apr 6, 2008
Germany
One day we'll have a GM who is willing to take risks.

Until then, at least we have character and can grind things out.

....Yay...

Yea, right. Taking risks... I'm tired of hearing this Pejorative Slured excuse from fans. "Our GM is complacent, he doesn'T take risks". "If only he had even tried by taking a risk". "if only he had the balls".

If the decision doesn't work out. Blame the GM. Like a few years ago, when we traded McDonagh for Gomez? Or when we blew up the team? Or when we traded Camalleri for Bourque? Even this year, when he risked the anger of the fans when trading Diaz for Wiese (minor move) or trading Cole for Ryder, or signing Brière. Yea, taking risks don't always work out. We're still dealing with some of the contracts from those bad apples.

Yea, some of those risks worked, some not so much. We still curse Bergevin, Gainey and Gauthier for some of the chances they took but haven't worked out. But we simply forget those that were good.

What's to say he hasn't taken a chance because the risk wasn't worth it?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad