You are Bergevin, do you buy, sell or stay put?

InglewoodJack

Jun 10, 2009
Châteauguay
You almost wish their record was more indicative of how they have actually been playing. It would make it much easier for Bergevin to justify selling off a few UFAs.

I felt the Cole for Ryder trade was really creative so maybe Bergevin can find a creative way to both sell and buy (e.g. look at a rental like Hemsky who likely doesn't have a ton of value but then follow this up by flipping Gionta to recuperate what you gave up for Hemsky - somewhat lateral but gives the Habs a bit more creativity up front).

Although he did end up using the cap savings from the Cole trade on Briere – so perhaps I don’t quite trust him to be making moves either.

Off topic, but sick avatar.

1UP

Oct 2, 2007
Québec
Voted to chill it out.

We have a semi good but young squad, with great young talent ready to emerge. No point in going wild. Let's just stay put, give everyone some playoff experience, and deal if need be during the summer. Then again, if someone offers something ridiculous, you take it and run, especially if it's young players with great upside or topend picks. We're not contending this year.

Buying is not a good idea. You still have Subban and Markov to sign. Let's keep the cap low, and buy in july.

Habit11

Dec 18, 2009
He could sell from the C position where he's got 4 guys capable of playing C in the top 9 in Pleks/DD/Eller/Briere. I'd include Galchenyuk as 5, but they won't, but still you have depth there and redundancy in the type of play/size/skill that DD/Briere have, so move one of them.

He could do the same with the all the 4th liners he has. Moen could probably net you a nice return this time of year and Prust/Bournival/Weiss are still going to be available for 2 4th line winger spots.

Any assets returned for those two moves could be picks/prospects you keep or he could turn around and use those assets for help on the wing or the back end. He could actually buy and sell if he were inclined.

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
Voted to chill it out.

We have a semi good but young squad, with great young talent ready to emerge. No point in going wild. Let's just stay put, give everyone some playoff experience, and deal if need be during the summer. Then again, if someone offers something ridiculous, you take it and run, especially if it's young players with great upside or topend picks. We're not contending this year.

Buying is not a good idea. You still have Subban and Markov to sign. Let's keep the cap low, and buy in july.

We're not able to buy in July. And when we do, it's midget like Briere.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
The only move I would do is trade Markov, to be honest. His value is the highest it'll be from this point on. Depending on what we could get in return, I'd pull that move off.

Otherwise, stand pat. Don't give up the future to *try* and make a run for it when we're clearly not there.

Ihatekessel

Feb 24, 2014
Thunder Bay
Just good enough is not good enough!

We are an average team.........not gonna win the Cup this year, next year with current roster and current prospects aren't gonna do it for us. We need big, young scoring prospects to continue to progress into perennial contenders.

Keep Markov, trade Markov.....it really doesn't matter unless we get bigger, meaner, tougher and can put the puck in the net consistently, night in and night out.

If we can help ourselves by trading the guys that won't be around in a couple of years....then I say do it. Short term sacrifice for long term gain.

I just dread more of the same..........mediocrity, mediocrity, mediocrity. Since when has making the playoffs become the Montreal Canadiens Stanley Cup? Does the Molson family need the 1st round money that badly? Is MB afraid that if he misses playoffs he's done? Therrien?

Something has to change or we will be stuck in the mud for a long, long time.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
We will do nothing as usual. (Presser details below)
- in on a few deals but nothing materialized
-teams were asking for too much
- teams inquired about DD but we felt that he was a big player for us going forward.

-do you guys like my hair?:laugh::laugh:

Beatnik

Sep 2, 2002
Québec
Visit site
- teams inquired about DD but we felt that he was a big player for us going forward.

The best deals you make are often those that you don't make.

-Serge Savard

God I hated him growing up :laugh:

macavoy

May 27, 2009
Houston, Tx

Since your not allowed to do a FYP, let me do my own analysis of the presser

- teams inquired about DD but we felt that the Habs forum on HF boards would have nothing to talk about so in the interest of building interest in the sport, we are keeping him

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home

- teams inquired about DD but we felt that the Habs forum on HF boards would have nothing to talk about so in the interest of building interest in the sport, we are keeping him

and I got a new puff for my suit, it sets off my tie.

same old crap, MB grow a set

becuase all will say, "wait till july 1" then comes and goes and zip
habs are still 4 feet high

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
And Prust...

They also drafted McCarron and Crisp.

Bergevin does value size and intensity, more than me actually.

Sorry, but that Annibal poster knows his sh**, we didnt acquire any of these guys, MB is all about midgets! ;)

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
and I got a new puff for my suit, it sets off my tie.

same old crap, MB grow a set

becuase all will say, "wait till july 1" then comes and goes and zip
habs are still 4 feet high

looks like we got a jealous ugly poster in this thread! :yo:

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares

New management team but the same freakin stay put and do nothing result. It would be nice to have a proactive gm. We are happily in the middle since 1993.:shakehead:shakehead

Habnot

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I hate his sense of entitlement. Whenever something happens that he doesn't like, he starts pouting and his play goes to crap.

Latest exemple: Following his nice showing with us, he was sent down during the olympic break so that he could play and continue his development. It was only a formality that, if he kept playing good, he would be brought back as soon as the break was done.

Well, Mr. Beaulieu seemingly wanted the days off, because at his age he really needs them, lots of wear and tear on his body, as he completely dissapeared during the olympic break, except for that first game down there.

So the Habs called up Tinordi instead. Has that motivated him? No, he's even more disinterested than he was.

This raises a red flag for me, this is a guy who could one day **** in our hands when we need him the most because he doesn't have as much ice time as he wants, or isn't offered enough money as he'd like.

The opposite of that attitude would have been that of Max Pacioretty who wisely said "Bottom six in Montreal? **** this, send me down! I'll play more down there! I'll show you I can be top six" And he did! And he is! And he took an hometown rebate on his contract because he wants to be here! Great attitude, he'll be here forever!

And that is why I feel Nathan Beaulieu has a red flag attached to him. Nothing against the player when he gives his effort, he sort of reminds me of Brisebois, and that's a good thing, Brisebois was decent enough, it's his contract that was bad. But if he's gonna start pouting whenever something happens he doesn't like, he's gonna get ran out of town eventually.

You are really reaching here. Beaulieu had a couple of bad games when he was sent down, but has since stepped it up big time. I think it was always the plan to give both Beaulieu and Tonordi time in Montreal this year.

Why didn't you raise the same red flag when Tinordi was sent down this year and it took him over a month to get his game in gear. As a matter of fact, Beaulieu has been than Tonordi overall in Hamilton.

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
Sorry, but that Annibal poster knows his sh**, we didnt acquire any of these guys, MB is all about midgets! ;)

Oh look at you trying to be a smartass! :laugh:

You must have wet your panties of exitement when we signed Briere.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad