You are Bergevin, do you buy, sell or stay put?

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
How can anyone give an absolute answer when no context is provided? Buy at what price? Sell at what return? Stand pat comes into play when neither of the alternatives is attractive.

Beatnik

Sep 2, 2002
Québec
Visit site
How can anyone give an absolute answer when no context is provided? Buy at what price? Sell at what return? Stand pat comes into play when neither of the alternatives is attractive.

We have an idea on this year market already. It seems to be a sellers market.

Also and more importantly we know the state of our team, which is the #1 factor.

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
A top-six RW with size would really help. Bye bye Brian would be fine with me.

Mario Lemieux fan 66

Nov 2, 2012
Do you see another Tinordi like defensmen in the system? He's not for sale, period. Having a punishing mobile 6'6 defensmen is a luxury very few teams have.

How many top 6 forward with size Timmins has drafted outside of Pacioretty ? Zero. How many good d-men Timmins has drafted ? Many: Subban, Mcdonaugh, Streit, Emelin, Beaulieu, Tinordi and some decent number 7 like Weber and Nygren.

I trust Timmins to find good d-men, i have a lot less confidence in him to find good top 6 forward with size.

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
How are people voting for stand pat? Le sigh

I have the same problem... I guess they're happy to have a team that barely miss the playoff or makes team and get pushed around in round 1.

MTL, the only team that has to rely on their goaltender playing on his head to male it past round 1, since forever.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
This is not a Stanley Cup team as it is made up right now.

You sell Markov, Moen, Gionta and Bourque.

Bring back Beaulieu from Hamilton and keep Tinordi here. Weise replaces Moen. Bourque? The Zamboni driver can easily replace Bourque. Bournival should be coming back soon or bring up Leblanc.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
It all depends on what deals are to be made. We're kind of in between two worlds. Our play suggests we should sell, our record suggests we should buy... If there are great opportunities to buy, we could do that, if there are great opportunities to sell perhaps do that...

MathMan

Jan 20, 2006
The Habs are in a weird spot. The roster is strong but it's playing very poorly. The record suggests low-end contender but the caliber of play suggest lotterly-but-for-goaltending.

I'd stay put. The Habs won't go anywhere this year, but the team could be competitive next year. That said, Bergevin already blew the chance to improve the roster last offseason and I doubt he does better next offseason. There's serious philosophical and player evaluation problems with the front office.

Really, at this point, I think we should just wish Bergevin doesn't eff things up.

25get

Nov 15, 2012
Montreal
This is a sellers market.
So buying is going to be very expensive.

Selling a guy like Markov for a pick and a prospect would be very bad for team spirit. We might not make the PO.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Depends, are suits on sale this week?

jos-a-bank.jpg

We're out of luck. :sarcasm:

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
The Habs are in a weird spot. The roster is strong but it's playing very poorly. The record suggests low-end contender but the caliber of play suggest lotterly-but-for-goaltending.

I'd stay put. The Habs won't go anywhere this year, but the team could be competitive next year. That said, Bergevin already blew the chance to improve the roster last offseason and I doubt he does better next offseason. There's serious philosophical and player evaluation problems with the front office.

Really, at this point, I think we should just wish Bergevin doesn't eff things up.

This is how I feel too. I'm not convinced we have a GM I want making moves. I think we should stay put unless a can't miss type of deal materializes.

Begs the question though, how long do you hang onto a GM that can't be trusted to improve the club?

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
This team is not a cup team. Ott showed us that last year. Beat us to a pulp

So mone Markov for assets. Gionta for a 5th rounder. Briere for a 3round pick.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
The Marc Bergevin Five-Year Plan Productions presents an uncanny comedy of potential moves, hidden behind closed doors, dimly-lit hallways and sottovoce cellphone chatter.

Featuring a team of hand-picked lackeys.

Narrated by Pablo Francisco. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixToQbFc53A

At a time when ...

Winning record is too good to be a seller.

vs.

Team not built for the playoffs, begs to be a buyer.

The solution ...

1.BC_500x600_v3.jpg

This summer's must-see comedy features ...

Which diminutively-challenged, near-retirement and concussed local player will see the infamous torch handed to him by Daniel (I have an accent grave) Brière?

Which unwanted free agent with cement skates, will be available to take over for Murray? Could be Murray himself!!!

Which players 5 years past their prime will line up to take over for Parros?

Who will relinquish Bouillon's crown as hotdog-eating champ?

Watch MB's moves go down like butta -- cause in the end, it's all about trading for 4th liners and 6th and 7th defensemen and prolonging negotiations with pending UFAs for no apparent reason.

Includes a teaser to next season's Magic Michel's Plan, including:

- ice time decided by pouting and petty, impromptu lesson-dispensing
- you're a Norris, you get benched
- you're a top 3 draft pick, you get 10 minutes to impress me
- you're a never-drafted, diminutive, local shrimplet -- you get 20 minutes plus
- you want to play on the 2nd line -- show me that you have no biceps
- you can't skate -- you will be double-shifted on 4-4 play
- the little known benefits of repetitive rah-rah clichés, followed by handclaps

Last edited:

gusfring

Jul 4, 2006
This is not a Stanley Cup team as it is made up right now.

You sell Markov, Moen, Gionta and Bourque.

Bring back Beaulieu from Hamilton and keep Tinordi here. Weise replaces Moen. Bourque? The Zamboni driver can easily replace Bourque. Bournival should be coming back soon or bring up Leblanc.

Agree with pretty much all of this.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
If the st louis trade forces team to do trades, sell baby sell

The St-Louis trade did three things:

1. It showed that you don't need to wait until March 5th, 2:59 PM to make a large-scale deal, or to come off like a bandit if you're selling.

2. It established a nice baseline for those on the fence about selling certain players, especially players in demand of equal or better talent than Miller. Extend a 35-year old or ... get another team for all you can. And it can be a lot.

3. When all is said and done, MB still won't do much. :sarcasm:

Last edited:

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
How are people voting for stand pat? Le sigh

Easy, because that's the correct option.

St. Louis didn't set the market for trades they made a one time all-in colossal overpayment for questionable returns, other teams in the west aren't scared they are miffed at what the Blues just did. There's no cascade off this trade.

"sell" without context means dumping Markov who is about the only player that's attractive.

"Buy" is idiotic. Montreal has a mediocre roster who are a long way from being in the top echelon. They aren't even contenders to win a mediocre conference let alone go up against the West.

So that leaves a choice between trading Markov and standing pat and continuing a patient build.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad