Prospect Info: #Yield4Byfield .....Who's with me?

AnThGrt

Feb 13, 2005
Park City, UT
I am quite sure the Kings want Drysdale at 3,4 or 5, not sure about 2
I think the same occurs barring we aren't top 3. There is a chance even at 6/7 where we likely end up post lottery we still walk with the best or 2nd player in the draft. Half Austrian and half German. Love the two available and the two forwards I want most, but if you told me start of the season we'd get a Perfetti, Holtz, or Raymond I'd be stoked.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Perhaps but we dont have any elite D and he is the only premium one in this draft

If the best defenseman available was Tyson Barrie, and your other choices were David Pastrnak, Aleksander Barkov and Leon Draisaitl, do you force yourself to take the best defenseman available?

We should know by now drafting for a position of need is awful strategy.

TopT

Jan 7, 2009
Georgetown, Caymans
what about if the best D was DD ?
Also, last year happened exactly the same, all the Ds went at a premium in the first round INCLUDING Bjornfot. This year will be even worse cause there arent any.
I am not saying I agree but this is what I think will happen

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Is defense even really a position of need? We are pretty well stocked on defense:

Bjornfot
Anderson
Clague
Durzi
Moverare
Nousiainen

Plus some others that might surprise like Walker and Roy have. As it stands, Doughty/Walker/Anderson/Roy is a pretty solid top four, and adding Bjornfot into that mix will be great as well.

We need to draft the most dynamic, talented player available. I’m guessing that’s one of the forwards. On the flip side...

Drysdale - Doughty
Bjornfot - Walker
Anderson - Roy

...would be pretty cool.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
Or perhaps there was less competition in the DD draft, his numbers look similar including on national team
He is ranked from 3-7 so there is no reach

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but the 2008 draft was LOADED with what folks were calling franchise defensemen and that doesn't even count Karlsson who turned out to be one. DD, Luke Schenn, Bogosian, Tyler Myers and Pietrangelo were all thought to be franchise type defenders. So competition was definitely there. Josi was in that draft too, but not generally considered in that upper tier.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Or perhaps there was less competition in the DD draft, his numbers look similar including on national team
He is ranked from 3-7 so there is no reach

The 2008 draft had tons of competition, but Doughty was considered to be the best of a bunch of dmen that included Alex Pietrangelo, Zach Bogosian, Luke Schenn and Tyler Myers as top 10 dmen, not to mention Erik Karlsson and Jake Gardiner.

If Drysdale was as good as Doughty, he wouldn’t be ranked outside of the top 5.

AzKing

Feb 4, 2019
Newport Coast, CA
Franchise Defenseman, when they are truly #1's usually are always going to be in the top 2. The fact that Drysdale is lower says he has a few questions but he is still qualifies as elite. The analysis is that he is that he has at least as much potential as Byram does and a lot of people wanted Byram over anyone but Hughes and Kakko:

Jamie Drysdale | Jamie Drysdale Profile | Jamie Drysdale Scouting Report 2020

Outside of Lafreniere, there doesn't seem to be any clear path on the next picks. There most likely will be some surprises. Last year there was a clear #1 and #2.

I like our Defense depth that we are building. We don't have a guy though that jumps off the page and can be the next #1. Drysdale seems to have that ceiling and his floor is no worse than a #3.

TopT

Jan 7, 2009
Georgetown, Caymans
Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but the 2008 draft was LOADED with what folks were calling franchise defensemen and that doesn't even count Karlsson who turned out to be one. DD, Luke Schenn, Bogosian, Tyler Myers and Pietrangelo were all thought to be franchise type defenders. So competition was definitely there. Josi was in that draft too, but not generally considered in that upper tier.
come on, 5 franchise defensman in a single draft.... A franchise D coming in to draft was let say Dahlin.
And yes, I think the top 10 or top 5 this year is stronger than the DD draft

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
Drew, Pietro, EK and Josi in hindsight would be classified franchise defensemen by any reasonable hockey analyst. Oh and John Carlson was in that draft too. The fact that Bogo, Myers and Schenn didn't pan out doesn't mean that the they weren't considered potentially to be franchise quality. A franchise player you can build your team around, not necessarily a HOF caliber player. You must not remember the talk back then about that defensemen class. I'm talking about the perception at the time, not the reality of how each player actually turned out later.

Here's a video done by none other than Hockey's Future talking about the defensemen in the 2008 draft with analysts from ISS and North America Central Scouting.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
come on, 5 franchise defensman in a single draft.... A franchise D coming in to draft was let say Dahlin.
And yes, I think the top 10 or top 5 this year is stronger than the DD draft

I don’t think you are remembering things accurately. That 2008 draft is and was considered to be one of the deepest drafts in history, often compared to 2003. I haven’t heard the same about this year’s draft class.

Reactions: cyclones22

AzKing

Feb 4, 2019
Newport Coast, CA
That draft was fantastic. I think one of the things that has changed the most nowadays is that the scouting and technology are far superior so you get a ton more information on each player. The bust factor is lessened to some extent when you see guys that highly rated.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
i read somewhere (not sure anymore) that its supposed to be pretty deep as well ziggy

Oh I know it's considered deep within the top 15-20, but the 2008 draft has produced almost 50 players who have appeared in 200+ NHL games.

This draft year's class is not as deep as 2008. You don't have a slew of defensemen being touted as potential top pairing, franchise defensemen like you had in 2008. There are some highly skilled forwards though beyond the top three.

Read this,
2008 NHL Draft marked by selections of Stamkos, Doughty, Karlsson
Twenty-six of the 30 players selected at Scotiabank Place in Ottawa on June 20, 2008, have played in the NHL, and 18 have played at least 200 games. The list includes a Rocket Richard Trophy winner, two Norris Trophy winners and two Stanley Cup champions.

"You can never expect a draft to be that deep," Senators general manager Pierre Dorion said. "You're dealing with 17-, 18-year-olds. There's a lot of circumstances, variables. It's a credit to those guys that 26 guys played at least a game."

Find me articles that compare this year's draft class to 2008.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
well, its quite long ago but looking at this I doubt it
2008 NHL Entry Draft Picks at hockeydb.com

What are you doubting? Did you sort that list by games played? Did you miss the link I provided above with comments that support what I’m saying? League execs saying that the 2008 draft class is unlike most other drafts in terms of the quality and depth. Or are you suggesting they’re wrong as well?

TopT

Jan 7, 2009
Georgetown, Caymans
you mean the Senators Gm that got Karlsson claiming it was quality and depth. I ll end here cause it became boring fast. 2020 looks to me stronger than 2008 was expected to be, at least the top 10

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
you mean the Senators Gm that got Karlsson claiming it was quality and depth. I ll end here cause it became boring fast. 2020 looks to me stronger than 2008 was expected to be, at least the top 10

Based on what? A hunch? Who’s saying this besides you?

Take a look at these statistics from the 2008 draft class, since apparently looking at games played and articles written about the depth of that draft are insufficient for you.

2008 NHL Entry Draft

Let us know when you come up with supporting evidence or claims of this year’s draft being just as good or better than 2008.

TopT

Jan 7, 2009
Georgetown, Caymans
Based on what? A hunch? Who’s saying this besides you?

Take a look at these statistics from the 2008 draft class, since apparently looking at games played and articles written about the depth of that draft are insufficient for you.

2008 NHL Entry Draft

Let us know when you come up with supporting evidence or claims of this year’s draft being just as good or better than 2008.
this is just stupid, who is saying the 2008 was stronger than the 20 will be, yes it my hunch, my analysis; what else is it supposed to be.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
this is just stupid, who is saying the 2008 was stronger than the 20 will be, yes it my hunch, my analysis; what else is it supposed to be.

Then I guess we’ll take your word for it, based on absolutely nothing at all. If you’re going to make silly claims and inaccurate statements on the depth of Doughty’s draft, try to back it up. At least you admitted your stance is based on nothing but your opinion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad