Prospect Info: #Yield4Byfield .....Who's with me?

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
If this is a deep draft and the Kings pick 3-7, should they be looking to trade down and go for quantity?

Generally teams only trade down in the NHL Draft if they think they could still land the guy they would have taken anyways plus take an extra asset. Trading down for multiple picks is a sexier option in the NFL Draft since you can reasonably expect a 2nd/3rd round pick to contribute to your team almost immediately. I think NHL teams are a little more realistic than us fans with regards to the likelihood of a 2nd round pick panning out. This is typically why we haven't seen a ton of movement in the top 10 of the NHL Draft.

Just by going by my time following the draft since 1995, the team trading up in the first round has tended to do a lot better when actual names are attached. People tend to remember when the opposite happens (ie, Anaheim trading down and getting Rakell/Gibson) but that seems to be the exception more than the norm. I'm always reminded of Anaheim in 2008 trading #12 for #17 and #28, then #28 for #35 and #39. On paper that seems like good value, but they used the extra picks on Nic Deschamps and Eric O'Dell (who they didn't even sign). Allegedly they thought they could trade down and still get Erik Karlsson at #17 only to get sniped by Ottawa.

In 2008, Garth Snow wanted to restock their barren prospect pool and they figured they could trade down and still get Josh Bailey. After several trades they turned the #5 pick into:

#9: Josh Bailey
#40: Aaron Ness
#74: Jyri Niemi (wasn't signed)
#102: David Ullstrom
future 2nd round pick which was traded (Ducks took Matt Clark with the selection)

A lot of the trade downs end up looking like that where the team just doesn't do a ton with the extra pick(s). Usually the extra picks aren't worth the drama of potentially missing out on your target.

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
I love watching the Kings win no matter how bad the season is going, but they really need to calm down in the new year. The Wings, Devils, Sens, and now the Ducks are all going full tank, and we need to get back into the race to the bottom.

Agreed. I will never root for the team to lose. I would be thrilled to get a top 3 pick, as this team desperately needs a franchise prospect, but I would never actively be thrilled in the team losing.

I even have a personal rule, living in Nevada, that I cannot make bets involving the Kings. Mainly because I would never bet that the team is going to lose, and I feel I am far too biased in believing in the team and wanting them to win every game.

If we end up with Lafreniere or Byfield, that would be amazing, but it is very hard to wish turmoil on the team that you love to achieve that goal. Hell, the worst team hasn't been that lucky at getting the 1st overall lately anyway...

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I’m just hoping the hockey gods/lottery gods take mercy for the last one and because we’re actively trying to play well unlike Detroit et. Al.

Swear if NJD or NYR or CHI end up with another top pick I’m gonna put on the tinfoil hat

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
I’m just hoping the hockey gods/lottery gods take mercy for the last one and because we’re actively trying to play well unlike Detroit et. Al.

Swear if NJD or NYR or CHI end up with another top pick I’m gonna put on the tinfoil hat
The gods have been in a giving mood.. they gave us back Vilardi.. maybe now we’ll get back our top two pick :nod:

AnThGrt

Feb 13, 2005
Park City, UT
I'd be happy with either Lafrienne or Byfield. If Vilardi continues to improve and show health I'd still go Lafrienne. Personally prefer Byfield, but it would be nice to have an elitely skilled and dynamic talent again. Not saying Byfield is not.

My semi realistic hope is still Stützle yet seen him ranked at 3 numerous times already now. Been on his train since before the season started just like Pettersson and Vilardi in 2017. Believe he is the former in this draft.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Not setting my heart on any player. Going into the season, I liked Byfield more than Lafreniere, but both are very talented. Other players are doing well, too, like Marco Rossi.

Reactions: ibleedkings

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I'd be happy with either Lafrienne or Byfield. If Vilardi continues to improve and show health I'd still go Lafrienne. Personally prefer Byfield, but it would be nice to have an elitely skilled and dynamic talent again. Not saying Byfield is not.

My semi realistic hope is still Stützle yet seen him ranked at 3 numerous times already now. Been on his train since before the season started just like Pettersson and Vilardi in 2017. Believe he is the former in this draft.

And just like Pettersson, Stützle is looking like a riser

No Name The Nameless

Feb 15, 2019
Tornado Alley

I think the Kings got lucky with Turcotte. I would have taken him at 3.

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
I've mentioned this before but as long as we are in the top five again I'd be stoked. We'll get a pretty good player.

Reactions: KopitarFAN

AzKing

Feb 4, 2019
Newport Coast, CA
We have seen what having a blue chip Defenseman can do for a team as well. I really want the Kings to invest in a guy who can be a #1. They don't have that and trying to get it via trade is a lot harder than getting an elite scorer. You see Forwards traded all the time but teams rarely part with their best Blueliner. I want Drysdale and we can get him probably as low as #5.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad