News Article: Yes, It’s Time to Trade Jean-Gabriel Pageau (This time, it’s different.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I am at peace with Pageau being traded. If he stays, fine, but I think that signing him and Boro after a unicorn season is how you end up with a bunch of Kovalchuks, Skinners, and Backes on your team. If they want the rebuild to succeed, they will have to extend the timeframe and rely on a player like Colin White and Logan Brown to take the next step. Josh Norris also needs a spot to play. The challenge will be if these young centres continue to push the pace, Pageau may very well be a 4th line center making 5M a year. In just two years. That is when Cap Hell begins.

Tough to say good bye, but that is what management has to focus on, the endgame

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Yeah, let's trade playoff hero Pageau for a 30th overall draft pick.

At the same time, what's the use of holding on to a playoff hero when we're a good 5 years from making the playoffs?

I get it. Losing fan favorites sucks. Waiting for the kids (and often being disappointed when most never hit their ceilings) sucks. Seeing rivals be cup contenders while we're in the basement sucks.

But that's sports. As much as I'd love to wave a magic wand and be a playoff contender every season, it just isn't possible. All we can do is hope management can make some good moves to rebuild the foundation of this team and hope we somehow have what it takes to be a playoff team in a few years, and hopefully a contender a few years after that.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I am at peace with Pageau being traded. If he stays, fine, but I think that signing him and Boro after a unicorn season is how you end up with a bunch of Kovalchuks, Skinners, and Backes on your team. If they want the rebuild to succeed, they will have to extend the timeframe and rely on a player like Colin White and Logan Brown to take the next step. Josh Norris also needs a spot to play. The challenge will be if these young centres continue to push the pace, Pageau may very well be a 4th line center making 5M a year. In just two years. That is when Cap Hell begins.

Tough to say good bye, but that is what management has to focus on, the endgame

Generally I agree depending on what Pager wants to stay and what teams are offering. I don't think we will head into next season with Brwon21, White, Arty, Norris, and Chaplik as our center options.

If we loose CT and Pager I think we spend some money on a old expensive FA (like Hainsey) which may cost the same as what Pager wants to stay without the term.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Generally I agree depending on what Pager wants to stay and what teams are offering. I don't think we will head into next season with Brwon21, White, Arty, Norris, and Chaplik as our center options.

If we loose CT and Pager I think we spend some money on a old expensive FA (like Hainsey) which may cost the same as what Pager wants to stay without the term.
Whats the $ amount you peg here?

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Whats the $ amount you peg here?

My guess is $3.5-$5 type money for 1-2 years ? Like Names, Arti, or Hainsey type money ? We would have to likely overpay a bit to get a FA come to Ottawa and be a punching bag in the cold on a last place team. We can probably sell it with the option to move at the deadline which might get us one year for a player rebuilding value or squeezing out cash at the end of a career.

We could hypothetically be breaking in Laf or Stutz on the wing. It is scary to break in kids like that with Arti or White as your most experienced center.

salomonster

Oct 7, 2006
Double dot
I'm not on board with a JGP trade, we need some glue but also glue that can play in all situations. He captain material and is the poster boy for this team... 4 x 4 is not damaging at all for a team that's gonna need to spend to get to the floor....

You can't just keep shipping out guys and sell hope.

I feel that same about Boro but to a lesser degree. He can play a bottom pairing role for 2 more years and if he sits in the pressbox, it's not a problem.

We have a bunch of contracts paying guys to not play. Pager is a gamer and Boro is a leader both in the community and on the team.

Get this right man.

If we get a gazillion 1st but there is no winner culture. Hope can disappear fast.

SensFan1010

Dec 18, 2019
I'm not on board with a JGP trade, we need some glue but also glue that can play in all situations. He captain material and is the poster boy for this team... 4 x 4 is not damaging at all for a team that's gonna need to spend to get to the floor....

You can't just keep shipping out guys and sell hope.

I feel that same about Boro but to a lesser degree. He can play a bottom pairing role for 2 more years and if he sits in the pressbox, it's not a problem.

We have a bunch of contracts paying guys to not play. Pager is a gamer and Boro is a leader both in the community and on the team.

Get this right man.

If we get a gazillion 1st but there is no winner culture. Hope can disappear fast.

In what world is giving a 3rd line center a C a good idea. Pageau is a great player he served us well but you have to move on at some point.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
If the Sens sign Pageau they should move Tierney. Ideally I'd like to see them trade both and resign Pageau as a UFA

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I can't help but feel like Pageau's being pumped up a little bit beyond reality at this point kind of like Fisher was.

He's a fine player with a history of a few clutch moments, but we will survive without him and I'm willing to bet the impact won't be as great as being portrayed.

I like both players but I personally would take Fisher over Pageau.. Both are excellent 3rd line Cs who's play could really help a good team down the stretch and in the playoffs. Both can contribute in many ways to helping you win.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I like both players but I personally would take Fisher over Pageau.. Both are excellent 3rd line Cs who's play could really help a good team down the stretch and in the playoffs. Both can contribute in many ways to helping you win.
Ya Fisher had a little more offense to give, but then that could also be because of being shoehorned in to the 2nd line center spot more than Pageau has. Either way I agree Fish was the superior player.

I just think they both got a bit of a mythical status defined by immeasurable intangibles, that I'm not as convinced of as others are.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Ya Fisher had a little more offense to give, but then that could also be because of being shoehorned in to the 2nd line center spot more than Pageau has. Either way I agree Fish was the superior player.

I just think they both got a bit of a mythical status defined by immeasurable intangibles, that I'm not as convinced of as others are.

Hard to measure intangibles but they are real. Some innate ability to step up when the games get bigger .. hard to know what that is. I think Tkachuk has that as well.

Reactions: GCK

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I can't help but feel like Pageau's being pumped up a little bit beyond reality at this point kind of like Fisher was.

He's a fine player with a history of a few clutch moments, but we will survive without him and I'm willing to bet the impact won't be as great as being portrayed.

I think it's the opposite.

People are pumping up his great moments, but really what is going to hurt us is not having his consistent everyday game. We are going to lose a 18-20 minute player who does an exceptional job of shutting down top lines. Other than Connor Brown who is a winger, we have nobody close to Pageau defensively up front.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Hard to measure intangibles but they are real. Some innate ability to step up when the games get bigger .. hard to know what that is. I think Tkachuk has that as well.
Reasonable. I agree they are real, just feel like they take on a life of their own a bit and cross over in to mythical status.

People are pumping up his great moments, but really what is going to hurt us is not having his consistent everyday game. We are going to lose a 18-20 minute player who does an exceptional job of shutting down top lines. Other than Connor Brown who is a winger, we have nobody close to Pageau defensively up front.
To me this just goes to show how bad the team is more than Pageau being an integral piece we need to hang on to regardless of contract demands. It still needs to make sense contractually and I just don't think it does for this broke ass teamm, where it's at in the rebuild, and him having an obvious UFA outlier season.

Last edited:

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

I agree .. but this year is a perfect storm for Pageau to showcase his value in all aspects.. Put him on the Flyers or the Leafs for example and his role would be drastically reduced from the way DJ plays him here. Same for Brown. He can still play the defensive C role and PK but he would not be pushed out on the ice the way he is here.

Pavlikovsky

May 31, 2013
Gatineau, QC
I agree .. but this year is a perfect storm for Pageau to showcase his value in all aspects.. Put him on the Flyers or the Leafs for example and his role would be drastically reduced from the way DJ plays him here. Same for Brown. He can still play the defensive C role and PK but he would not be pushed out on the ice the way he is here.

I don't know if Pageau's usage would go down that much, Pageau is a coaches wet dream when it comes to how he plays kinda how Hyman plays 1st line on the Leafs. But a team is not going to trade good assets for Pageau to have him play 10 to 16 minutes a game they see that he can produce and be sounds defensively while playing 15 to 20 mins a game and playing on 1st PK he can lighten the load of the 1c and 2c and give them a scoring or shutdown 3rd line.

Oct 10, 2010
Trade Pageau if you get a good return and look at signing him as a FA in the off-season.

I'd move everyone tbh, especially our UFA in which we could always re-sign months from now.

Reactions: NB613 and Yak

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Trade Pageau if you get a good return and look at signing him as a FA in the off-season.

I'd move everyone tbh, especially our UFA in which we could always re-sign months from now.

This is the ideal situation, but it's difficult to pull off in practice.

What happens if he gets red-hot in the playoffs, or if a team offers him a wacky contract like Kevin Hayes received?

If he is traded, it wouldn't surprise me to hear the typical "Sens will reach out to JGP during the talking period" line when he hits UFA. But unless we are willing to pay top UFA market value, it wouldn't make sense. The trade deadline return would have to be worth more than however much his contract demands might inflate by.

I think a lot of the desire to trade JGP is predicated on the idea that we'll get another great 2020 1st Round Pick + for him. In a rebuild, adding another 2020 1st would make it tempting to trade him regardless of whether he wants to stay. But I really think we're going to have to settle for a 2nd and another piece. At that price, I'd rather keep Pageau, even at 5 million.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
This is the ideal situation, but it's difficult to pull off in practice.

What happens if he gets red-hot in the playoffs, or if a team offers him a wacky contract like Kevin Hayes received?

If he is traded, it wouldn't surprise me to hear the typical "Sens will reach out to JGP during the talking period" line when he hits UFA. But unless we are willing to pay top UFA market value, it wouldn't make sense. The trade deadline return would have to be worth more than however much his contract demands might inflate by.

I think a lot of the desire to trade JGP is predicated on the idea that we'll get another great 2020 1st Round Pick + for him. In a rebuild, adding another 2020 1st would make it tempting to trade him regardless of whether he wants to stay. But I really think we're going to have to settle for a 2nd and another piece. At that price, I'd rather keep Pageau, even at 5 million.
I'd much rather have a 2nd + other piece than pay $5M/yr for Pageau. $5M/yr sounds like FA money for Pageau, so why not take the 2nd now and then offer him that in the off-season? If he doesn't take it, we have $5M we can allocate to something else, such as extending Tkachuk, or taking somebody else's bad contract and getting more assets.

Reactions: Yak

Yak

Jun 30, 2009
Los Angeles
www.androidheadlines.com
Pageau is a great player to have around young players ,specially for the rebuild, you need some vets to mentor young players. The affordable castoff UFA's won't bring same skill set. Pageau reminds of a Faster Chris Kelly and is type of player you always need and can use.

Lets see what he wants and may be better to offload the other deadweight and allocate a bit of a overpayment to Pageau. Now if a playoff team will pay us a first we will tell Pageau enjoy the playoffs will talk July 1st, don't sell your house.

I am not even a Pageau fan I just think he fits the mold of player that is very useful and won't be much of a overpayment in couple of years from the value we get in him mentoring teammates.

Countdown0

Deep Breath... nope, still mad!
Jun 28, 2010
Ottawa
I'm a fan of Pageau and would like to keep him around, but for the right deal (a first round pick and/or a good prospect) I wouldn't hate trading him. My worry is that we wont get a good deal, because I'm not confident that Dorion can "win" a trade...

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
Bob Mackenzie said the plan is to re-sign Pageau = yessir I hope we trade Tierney at the draft

Reactions: Sweatred

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I'm a fan of Pageau and would like to keep him around, but for the right deal (a first round pick and/or a good prospect) I wouldn't hate trading him. My worry is that we wont get a good deal, because I'm not confident that Dorion can "win" a trade...

Ya - those EK, MD, and RD trades are killing us and have set us back years....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad