News Article: Yes, It’s Time to Trade Jean-Gabriel Pageau (This time, it’s different.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
This has my full support. Stay the course and trade any and all UFA's unless they accept cheap and short. I have no interest in any kind of long term contracts being given out at this time other than maybe Duclair this summer.

Pageau is great, but when it comes down to it, he's still more of a support player to me than a true star core player. I don't think Ottawa has the luxury of affording such players being a budget team while also keeping their stars. They have no choice but to fill these types of roles with elc's and cheap vets imo. Please don't nickel and dime your limited budget away on overpaid role players again Dorion.

Reactions: Alex1234 and DrEasy

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
This has my full support. Stay the course and trade any and all UFA's unless they accept cheap and short. I have no interest in any kind of long term contracts being given out at this time other than maybe Duclair this summer.

Pageau is great, but when it comes down to it, he's still more of a support player to me than a true star core player. I don't think Ottawa has the luxury of affording such players being a budget team while also keeping their stars. They have no choice but to fill these types of roles with elc's and cheap vets imo. Please don't nickel and dime your limited budget away on overpaid role players again Dorion.

I agree with most of this although I would feel comfortable offering a long term deal to develop and namestnikov

obviously depending on cost like duclair but long term I can see duclair and namestnikov being good 2nd/3rd line wingers and demelo brings some defensive stability which I think would work on a 2-3 year deal with either bran or wolanin

Reactions: Alex1234

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
I'd like to keep him. He's pretty much the ideal veteran to have around this young core.

I am, however, weary about giving huge contact raises based on outlier contract years.

Depends on the price I guess.

Reactions: Adele Dazeem

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I agree with most of this although I would feel comfortable offering a long term deal to develop and namestnikov

obviously depending on cost like duclair but long term I can see duclair and namestnikov being good 2nd/3rd line wingers and demelo brings some defensive stability which I think would work on a 2-3 year deal with either bran or wolanin
Fair point. Personally, I'd like to see more and would prefer a show me deal for Namestnikov, but that may not be an option with his UFA status unlike Duclair being an RFA last year.

It's just knowing that the team is on such a strict budget, I would prefer to let things shake out more before doling out any kind of term to role players.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
It looks like there are two options as far as a trade goes.
Do you trade him now that he is hot to a team that is on the outside or in a wildcard position and they want to shore up or do you wait until the trade deadline where their might be more bidders but you risk Pageau getting hurt between now and February?

I say trade him now and assess the prospect.

From Calgary we could probably get Bennett and a conditional pick.
From the Oilers Poolparty and a conditional pick

Reactions: Yak

jhutter

Dec 23, 2016
It looks like there are two options as far as a trade goes.
Do you trade him now that he is hot to a team that is on the outside or in a wildcard position and they want to shore up or do you wait until the trade deadline where their might be more bidders but you risk Pageau getting hurt between now and February?

I say trade him now and assess the prospect.

From Calgary we could probably get Bennett and a conditional pick.
From the Oilers Poolparty and a conditional pick

Bennett is on the LTIR and I don't imagine the Flames trade a former 4th overall and a first for Pageau.

I simply don't understand the desire to trade him right now. He's a heart and soul player that appears to want to be part of the future in Ottawa. Why trade him for a late first round pick? I'll take Pageau over a Shane Prince.

Reactions: Crosside

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
I think fans are over estimating how much leverage the Pageau camp has. It is one quarter of a season, and yes he is playing amazing but the only thing he is doing slightly different than past years so far this season, is scoring more goals. That is not enough to erase an entire career of below average offensive production and limited top 6 play.

Pageau has not made our PP better for example, a true top 6 centre would be able to produce alot more on the powerplay which is an important aspect of a top 6 type contract.

I want to re-sign Pageau simply because I believe Dorion knows what he is worth and that is anywhere between 4-5 million, maximum. Even 5 is too much but if he signs a 5 year contract I would be reluctant not to agree to it, he is young enough that he would be useful for most of that term.

As others have mentioned, a 1st round pick is never a guarantee, and right now Pageau is a guarantee. However if the demands are too high, trade him as opposed to losing him for nothing, that would be unacceptable.

Reactions: Matsens15

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Bennett is on the LTIR and I don't imagine the Flames trade a former 4th overall and a first for Pageau.

I simply don't understand the desire to trade him right now. He's a heart and soul player that appears to want to be part of the future in Ottawa. Why trade him for a late first round pick? I'll take Pageau over a Shane Prince.
There are some that feel a big part of why they needed to rebuild was because they gave a lot of money and term to non core players from outlier seasons or past contributions. We heard the same thing with every one of them... who else will fill their role?

Can't trade Ceci, he plays 25 a night. Can't trade Smith, he's our only gritty faceoff center. Can't trade Pageau, he's the heart and soul. Can't trade Anderson, he's the vet with nobody behind him. Can't let Condon go, there's no other backup. Meanwhile, we lost an entire core of players that carried that group.

I like Pageau as a player and maybe he's one to make an exception on, but at some point this organization is going to have to make tough choices with their role players and be a heck of a lot more savvy with their decisions there or have no money left over to sign the players that really carry them. They are not a cap spending team and have to choose the right roles to rely on ELC's and cheap vets or burn their budget again.

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
Ok i m gonna post here too because people seem to don t see my post on JGP. Dorion and Meehan have talking extension and seem to go for 6 year and 30 M

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

1. He's 27. Will likely be in his 30s when we are ready to compete for the cup and likely starting to decline
2. The return he will command is likely at it's highest at the moment, and there is no guarantee he will continue to play as well as he currently is given it is a bit of an outlier in his career.
3. While a late first has a chance of being a Shane Prince (who btw was the very last 2nd round pick not a 1st rounder) there's also the chance you get a Carlson, Perry, Kesler, Richards, Pastrnak, Kuznetsov ect.

It's also worth noting that we have Brown, White, and Norris. Center is turning into a position of organizational strength, but we need to hit another homerun and get some elite players. Got to give up something to get something.

jhutter

Dec 23, 2016
1. He's 27. Will likely be in his 30s when we are ready to compete for the cup and likely starting to decline
2. The return he will command is likely at it's highest at the moment, and there is no guarantee he will continue to play as well as he currently is given it is a bit of an outlier in his career.
3. While a late first has a chance of being a Shane Prince (who btw was the very last 2nd round pick not a 1st rounder) there's also the chance you get a Carlson, Perry, Kesler, Richards, Pastrnak, Kuznetsov ect.

It's also worth noting that we have Brown, White, and Norris. Center is turning into a position of organizational strength, but we need to hit another homerun and get some elite players. Got to give up something to get something.

I would say that if the minimum the team can sign him for is 6 years $5m per, then a trade is necessary. If it can be done at 4 years $4.5m (or something along those lines), I would far prefer to keep him.

Using 25th overall as an example, I see one player in the last 15 years better than Pageau. Yes, a few of the recent picks are sure to develop, but a bird in hand is worth two in the bush. The Pastrnaks and Kuznetsovs are exciting to think about, but realistically you can't assume that those are the types of players that will be selected. Is it a success if a player is drafted that plays three partial seasons before being traded?

I also don't believe that we know enough about Brown, White and Norris.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
If we can get a 1st+ for Pageau we deal him.
If he will only resign for 5+ years we deal him.
If he'll only sign or $5+ million/year we deal him.

If the answer to the 3 above questions is "no" then there's an argument for keeping him through the rebuild, imo.

Personally, I'd rather go $6 X 3 with him than commit to a 4th, 5th or (god forbid) 6th year.

TonySoprano11

It's a very delicate situation.
Apr 8, 2006
Hayden, ID
It is NOT a no brainer as some of you have mentioned. Those who think Pageau has already established himself as the kind of player he is and has little chance to progress to a consistantly higher performance have short memories. Let's not forget it wasn't until Alfredsson was 27 years old until he had his first real breakout season, followed by a 70+ point season which continued to be the norm for him until he retired.

Do you remember when we were going to trade Alfy for CRAIG CONROY and all sorts of people around here agreed it was the right move and Conroy was going to be a better fit for this team? We didn't give up on Alfy and he turned into the most important Senator in franchise history.

At a time where we need someone to lead these youngsters and set an example of hard work, determination, and never quit attitude, we found that player in Pageau. Someone has to lead this team, and at 27 it is not like he is over the hill. I think it is the perfect age for someone to responsibly take the C role and lead a team into the future.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
It is NOT a no brainer as some of you have mentioned. Those who think Pageau has already established himself as the kind of player he is and has little chance to progress to a consistantly higher performance have short memories. Let's not forget it wasn't until Alfredsson was 27 years old until he had his first real breakout season, followed by a 70+ point season which continued to be the norm for him until he retired.

Do you remember when we were going to trade Alfy for CRAIG CONROY and all sorts of people around here agreed it was the right move and Conroy was going to be a better fit for this team? We didn't give up on Alfy and he turned into the most important Senator in franchise history.

At a time where we need someone to lead these youngsters and set an example of hard work, determination, and never quit attitude, we found that player in Pageau. Someone has to lead this team, and at 27 it is not like he is over the hill. I think it is the perfect age for someone to responsibly take the C role and lead a team into the future.
You are correct that his development is not set in stone and it's a little less clear cut to send him packing because of the intangibles he brings over a guy like say Tierney, but guys like Alfie getting better with age are the exception and a bit of a thing of the past, so that seems like a lot to bank on for a career 3rd line center to this point being rumored to be in discussion for a 6x5 deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad