News Article: Yes, It’s Time to Trade Jean-Gabriel Pageau (This time, it’s different.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
From Lastwordonhockey.com

Ottawa Senators

Analysis: Further into Lebrun’s piece on the Athletic he mentions the Senators are waiting to finalize anything with Jean-Gabriel Pageau until February.
Analysis:
Ottawa is clearly on the fence about Pageau. There are tons of teams courting him. While Ottawa hasn’t extended an official offer, they’re still open to contract talks with the forward. Pageau will hit free agency in July.
With his history, he could bring in a first-round pick for the Senators. Losing him would not sink the team either. He’s not shooting much, and not exactly lighting up the score sheet either. Pageau has just five points in the last 17 games.
The biggest sales point for Pageau is that he’s cheap. With his average annual value of $3.1 million, he’s an easily affordable piece. Pageau can add to any team’s lineup. If Ottawa plays their cards right, they could bring in at least two second-round picks and some change by offloading him.

He feels like this years Dzingel on the market in terms of potential trade value, although very different players.

If we could get a lottery protected 1st or a couple 2nds from Edmonton, that would be pretty nice imo.

Matsens15

Dec 1, 2009
Ottawa
From Lastwordonhockey.com

Ottawa Senators

Analysis: Further into Lebrun’s piece on the Athletic he mentions the Senators are waiting to finalize anything with Jean-Gabriel Pageau until February.
Analysis:
Ottawa is clearly on the fence about Pageau. There are tons of teams courting him. While Ottawa hasn’t extended an official offer, they’re still open to contract talks with the forward. Pageau will hit free agency in July.
With his history, he could bring in a first-round pick for the Senators. Losing him would not sink the team either. He’s not shooting much, and not exactly lighting up the score sheet either. Pageau has just five points in the last 17 games.
The biggest sales point for Pageau is that he’s cheap. With his average annual value of $3.1 million, he’s an easily affordable piece. Pageau can add to any team’s lineup. If Ottawa plays their cards right, they could bring in at least two second-round picks and some change by offloading him.
He’s cooling off .. 5 points in his last 17 games...

Matsens15

Dec 1, 2009
Ottawa
If a team offer two 2nd round pick and some changes for Pageau will you pull the trigger??? Or do you prefer resigning him because you didn’t get a 1st round pick?

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
While Ottawa hasn’t extended an official offer, they’re still open to contract talks with the forward. Pageau will hit free agency in July.
This is my favorite part. This sounds exactly like a team that has a plan.

This makes it sound like they are waiting for Pageau to go to them??

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
If a team offer two 2nd round pick and some changes for Pageau will you pull the trigger??? Or do you prefer resigning him because you didn’t get a 1st round pick?
Yes to two 2nd round picks. Let's do it now too, before he gets injured or something.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
He’s cooling off .. 5 points in his last 17 games...

You might want to check your numbers... he has 9 pts in his last 17 games. Still cooling off relative to earlier this season, but that pace would still equal his career high over 82 games.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
question for you guys who see pageau every night. has he ever played RW?
and if so, is he good on the wing?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
question for you guys who see pageau every night. has he ever played RW?
and if so, is he good on the wing?

He has on occasion, but not really for an extended period. His strengths are really more suited to playing center imo. He's never going to be a scoring winger, he's a defensive minded center that can provide offense.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I mean the Sens might as well trade their good veteran players or whatever value they need to rebuild their team.

Pageau, Hainsey, Anisimov, Ennis, Boedker, Anderson and maybe Tierney, but don't see it happening.

Anderson, Ennis, Hainsey, Pageau and two conditional picks (if Galchenyuk and/or Murray sign a contract extension based on length) to Pittsburgh for Murray, Bjugstad and Galchenyuk. Maybe retention.

Last edited:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Yeah, let's trade playoff hero Pageau for a 30th overall draft pick.

What's the alternative? Sign him at an inflated deal thanks to a career year? Let him walk for nothing? Sign at a fair market deal? Sign him for a hometown discount?

There are certain scenarios where it makes sense to sign him, and others where it makes more sense to trade him, irrelevant of whether he is a home town playoff hero or not. To those who don't think we can sign him, or think he will end up overpaid should we sign him, 30OA would be a great return. To those that think he'll accept a home town discount, 30OA would be disappointing.

Then there's the other considerations; how quickly will he regress? How quickly will guys like Brown, Norris, and anybody else in our system including our 2020 draft picks overtake him and push him out of the lineup?

jhutter

Dec 23, 2016
What's the alternative? Sign him at an inflated deal thanks to a career year? Let him walk for nothing? Sign at a fair market deal? Sign him for a hometown discount?

There are certain scenarios where it makes sense to sign him, and others where it makes more sense to trade him, irrelevant of whether he is a home town playoff hero or not. To those who don't think we can sign him, or think he will end up overpaid should we sign him, 30OA would be a great return. To those that think he'll accept a home town discount, 30OA would be disappointing.

Then there's the other considerations; how quickly will he regress? How quickly will guys like Brown, Norris, and anybody else in our system including our 2020 draft picks overtake him and push him out of the lineup?

"Sign him at an inflated deal thanks to a career year" makes the (false?) assumption that the only way to get him signed is to sign him at an inflated deal. I don't think anyone realistically is wanting to sign him at a wildly inflated deal. Where I'm at is that I am tired of stockpiling draft picks and not retaining anyone.

I don't see a ton of value in a 30OA, but that's simply my opinion. I also don't have enough faith that Brown and Norris are going to be significantly better players than him. "A bird in hand is worth two in the bush." Assuming Norris and Brown DO surpass him, which is completely possible, having Pageau as a third or fourth line center is a terrific problem to have. That is, assuming that he is signed at a reasonable number.

If he won't accept anything but an inflated deal, then I agree that he should be dealt. Until I know for sure what he's asking, I'm hoping that he's re signed.

Reactions: derriko
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad