News Article: Yes, It’s Time to Trade Jean-Gabriel Pageau (This time, it’s different.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

otown

Sep 4, 2009
A Pageau cool down is inevitable.
PD better be throwing his name out there and listening to offers!
Sell high!

Reactions: NB613 and OD99

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Of course he’s listening, but most teams will wait to be able to fit him under the cap, and maybe to see if the price softens if his production tapers off like everyone knows it will.

It takes two to tango, but eventually some team will jump on being first. The Sens have to wait it out until bidding starts so that the price comes up. That won’t happen until the playoff picture becomes clearer and some teams decide they need a guy to push them in, while others decide they need a guy to puck them over the top.

Either way we’re a few months away from that.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
We all know how great JGP is as a hard working player that can find offensive lightning in a bottle while being sound defensively but this season is a huge outlier and IMO anyone expecting him to become a 30 goal scorer is being way too optimistic.

JGP was in his 4th pro season before he was able to match Whites rookie NHL stats and really hasn't come close since. This season he should be able to match it but it will be interesting to see if he can sustain his production in to the 2nd half of the year.

I hope he does so he keeps his trade value as high as possible but to do this rebuild right we should move him for a 1st rounder and then find his replacement internally or via a short term contract to another vet next season.

Reactions: DrEasy

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Pageau would be overpaid at 5 million AAV. I also hear he is lazy in practice and not so great in the dressing room. Dorion would be smart to trade him :sarcasm:

P.S. I am warming up for February.
You were right on the first part.

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
Ek said the team have told to others teams that Pageau will be not extended

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Pageau would be overpaid at 5 million AAV. I also hear he is lazy in practice and not so great in the dressing room. Dorion would be smart to trade him :sarcasm:

P.S. I am warming up for February.

Wants more days off and thinks he's better than Boro

Reactions: bert

Matsens15

Dec 1, 2009
Ottawa
’’If the Senators decide to put C Jean-Gabriel Pageau on the market before the deadline, there will be no shortage of interest. A couple of league executives suggested Saturday that “every team” involved in the hunt for a playoff spot will make a call to Ottawa GM Pierre Dorion about the slick 27-year-old who will be a UFA on July 1. He went into Saturday’s game versus Tampa Bay with 18 goals and 29 points. The Penguins, Flames, Bruins, Oilers, Jets and Avs would be among the teams interested in Pageau, but the expectation is the Senators will hold contract discussions with him before making a decision. Pageau has 12 goals and 16 points in 35 career playoff games with the Senators and would bring depth to a contender, however he’s a good fit in Ottawa as well. There are a lot of teams keeping one eye on Ottawa right now because Dorion has plenty of pieces than can help a contender. … The Flames have cap space after getting Frolik’s contract off the books and GM Brad Treliving would like to add more scoring help.‘’

-Bruce Garrioch

Reactions: NB613

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
’’If the Senators decide to put C Jean-Gabriel Pageau on the market before the deadline, there will be no shortage of interest. A couple of league executives suggested Saturday that “every team” involved in the hunt for a playoff spot will make a call to Ottawa GM Pierre Dorion about the slick 27-year-old who will be a UFA on July 1. He went into Saturday’s game versus Tampa Bay with 18 goals and 29 points. The Penguins, Flames, Bruins, Oilers, Jets and Avs would be among the teams interested in Pageau, but the expectation is the Senators will hold contract discussions with him before making a decision. Pageau has 12 goals and 16 points in 35 career playoff games with the Senators and would bring depth to a contender, however he’s a good fit in Ottawa as well. There are a lot of teams keeping one eye on Ottawa right now because Dorion has plenty of pieces than can help a contender. … The Flames have cap space after getting Frolik’s contract off the books and GM Brad Treliving would like to add more scoring help.‘’

-Bruce Garrioch

Hard to believe one of those teams isnt the Islanders. To me Colorado and NYI are the best fits both have decent prospect and pick depth and he would bring the most to the table on those teams.

The TDL is 7 weeks away, Dorion has lots of players to move he should start now. I think the longer a team has Pageau the more valuable he is, time to start dealing.

SensFan1010

Dec 18, 2019
If pageau isn't enough for a 1st i cant see why we wouldnt do something like pageau +3rd for a 20-25OA pick

Reactions: NB613

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Hard to believe one of those teams isnt the Islanders. To me Colorado and NYI are the best fits both have decent prospect and pick depth and he would bring the most to the table on those teams.

The TDL is 7 weeks away, Dorion has lots of players to move he should start now. I think the longer a team has Pageau the more valuable he is, time to start dealing.
I would wait another month. Teams get more desperate closer to the deadline aswell there are a lot of teams who are aren't sure about their playoff hopes who won't enter the trade market till closer to the deadline

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
I would wait another month. Teams get more desperate closer to the deadline aswell there are a lot of teams who are aren't sure about their playoff hopes who won't enter the trade market till closer to the deadline
The Ottawa Senators waited too long on Mark Stone and couldn't even get a first round pick back in the return. Teams didn't seem all that desperate last year.

If pageau isn't enough for a 1st i cant see why we wouldnt do something like pageau +3rd for a 20-25OA pick
The Sens have already given up way too many late draft picks for fillers this year. No way would I give up any more, especially when this franchise has found multiple gems in the late rounds of the draft.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
The Ottawa Senators waited too long on Mark Stone and couldn't even get a first round pick back in the return. Teams didn't seem all that desperate last year.

Pageau is not Stone. Pageau is a 3rd liner who you can wait on to see if his value increases closer to the deadline.

Pageau is at MAX getting a 1st rounder if even that as a rental

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I’m torn on this one, like I was with Spezza. I thought Spezza should have been traded considering his age and injuries, but the return was disgusting and a baby-Leafs-fans could of gotten a better return for Spez.

So I want them to keep JG, and if he’s traded for a 2nd then no way. My guess is it’s more along the lines of the return Vermette got - some damaged goods player with pedigree and a decent pick, so I want them to sign and keep JG

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I would much rather get a brannstrom level prospect than a late 1st rounder

They got way more than a late first and Arizona isnt any good anyway its not going to be that late.
Would I take Rasmus Sandin over a later 1st?

100% I would

100 percent agree but he has also improved his stock since the draft dramatically.

The Sens have already given up way too many late draft picks for fillers this year. No way would I give up any more, especially when this franchise has found multiple gems in the late rounds of the draft.

Yup exactly.

When you have 7 players to trade and have to scout other teams prospects they better start now they are already short staffed. Plus Hall just went for way more than Stone did and he wasnt even extended.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
100 percent agree but he has also improved his stock since the draft dramatically.

So did brannstrom

I agree that the sens wait too long to trade Stone though. Should have got more if you traded him when he was a RFA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad