News Article: Yes, It’s Time to Trade Jean-Gabriel Pageau (This time, it’s different.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I don’t want to see us match the realistic ceiling of Pager’s potential contract. If that is what he wants I’d wish him well and trade him.

Reactions: NB613 and Cosmix

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
Double dipping by trading him for picks and then re-signing him is the dream scenario. But in real life, it can't always work that way.

Montreal did that a few years back with Plekanec. That sort of things works better with players like Plekanec who aren't going to be super hot free agents.

If we really want to keep Pageau, and something under 5M is on the table now, if we trade him and let him talk to other teams the price could be driven way up July 1st. He could end up being offered 6 or 7 million. People are going to say that's absurd, but who would have thought Hayes would get 7, or that Skinner would get 9?

So if we evaluate that Pageau really wants to stay in Ottawa and is willing to leave money on the table to do it, then dealing him and double dipping might be viable. But if we really want to keep Pageau, there are risks in doing that.
Has Pageau said he would stay in Ottawa? Would be nice if he took a discount or something to stay. But doubt that will happen. I would like to keep him just because he’s been so good this year and it’s nice to have a player like that to build around. Depending what the price is....

otown

Sep 4, 2009
Pager's stock is as high as it is going to get in terms of consistent point production.
Explore what offers are out there and move forward, because the return may never be this good!

Reactions: Cosmix

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I am starting to slowly come around to trading him. Someone on Twitter made a good point that by the time his playoff prowess and style of game can really help the team , it may be three years from now.

Starting to realize that maybe it is time he leaves the nest as well, but then there will be no veterans upfront . That is the part that draws me back the other way

guyzeur

Mar 25, 2009
Ottawa
Pager's stock is as high as it is going to get in terms of consistent point production.
Explore what offers are out there and move forward, because the return may never be this good!

So who will be leading the team by example like Alfie? Pageau is doing it now IMO, we're not in the room but I would think that JGP is that guy for the Sens.

Last edited:

StutzlingAway

Feb 28, 2017
I've met Pageau and he was really cool. He was very appreciative of the support shown towards him and the team at the time. Just seems like a great guy who never gets too high or too low. I would not like to have him resigned especially if the right contact is provided.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
The Pager decision should be based off his demand and what the offers look like for him.

If he demands a lot and PD receives excellent trade offers it is an easy decision, likewise if he takes a team friendly deal and the trade offers are weak.

The difficult decisions comes if he doesn’t generate trade interest but demands term and salary. We risk losing him for nothing or the optics of a weak trade. Say he wants $5.75 x 6 and the best offer on the table is a 45th overall type pick.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
The Pager decision should be based off his demand and what the offers look like for him.

If he demands a lot and PD receives excellent trade offers it is an easy decision, likewise if he takes a team friendly deal and the trade offers are weak.

The difficult decisions comes if he doesn’t generate trade interest but demands term and salary. We risk losing him for nothing or the optics of a weak trade. Say he wants $5.75 x 6 and the best offer on the table is a 45th overall type pick.

Then you sign him.

guyzeur

Mar 25, 2009
Ottawa

I thought all 3 were quite easy to decide.

Difficult decision: he's willing to take a discount and you get a good return if he was to be traded.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
you're right but you also have to admit mine being opposite as yours would have to be included as a difficult decision.

For sure. I was going to add it myself. I’d probably trade him for a good offer (mid first or late first and promising prospect. I’d like to flip Pager for a Smith or Lavoie type prospect who is ready or a year away from the NHL.

Salva Mea

Apr 4, 2018
more 4.5 million = meh :( max 5 million...

anyway.. seattle expansion we must protect : 1. batherson 2. tkachuk 3. balcers 4. colin white

have only 3 option .. 1. duclair 2. pageau 3 c. brown 4. l. brwon and also 5. tierney

need trade 2 players. :(... tienrey 100% and second i dont know :d...

duclair i think no chance...

left only pageau and two browns.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
White's contract value for me was always on the premise he would get better to justify it. That hasn't happened and could end up a mistake.
Agreed - but at the high end ($6.25) I don’t think anyone would ever thought White would be a top defender and 15th in the league in scoring .

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Agreed - but at the high end ($6.25) I don’t think anyone would ever thought White would be a top defender and 15th in the league in scoring .
Likely not, but the backloading contract structure is imo probably due to kicking the can down the road financially again moreso than them actually valuing him at $6.25 at his peak.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018

Then you move him in a heartbeats

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino