News Article: Yes, It’s Time to Trade Jean-Gabriel Pageau (This time, it’s different.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
I've always liked Pageau but as a great guy on a contender. Something like the Penguins have been with their 1-2 punch, Boston or Washington. He's not like Kelly was in style but that type of reliable 3rd liner who can step up at times at centre or wing and might even surprise for a few games. In the long run he won't make enough of a difference on a young team like the Sens or Montreal. He could help Toronto but would it be enough?

As a pending UFA his next contract might be reaching too high so a team might only want him for a playoff run which would diminish his trade value. After that it's probably a hard sell if he expects more than his current deal amount or a very long term. He's kind of a tweener that's hard to price but I don't see long term value for the rebuilding Sens. If the Sens see him as a mentor or as setting a good example for the younger players that's fine but if you don't need the contract to meet the floor then why block a younger guy who might be the next "Kelly or Pageau" at a far cheaper price. As the team progresses save the dollars spent on signing any $4M+ 3rd liners and try to find a top 3 guy who can really make a difference.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
So I’m generally against overpays ... as a franchise we have very little ability to attract talent. A late 1RD pick could cost us $3-4 mill and never play a game.

At what point does acknowledging Pager as a UFA overpayment make sense? It costs millions to develop a 1-2 RD pick and he is close to the average expected outcome. Very few players will come to Ottawa as a FA and the cost of adding a 2020 1-2 RD pick is really high.

Pager for $3.5 is a no brainer - so add a Ottawa geo/tax bias and $5.5. Makes sense financially.

Matsens15

Dec 1, 2009
Ottawa
‘’I was hearing Pageau was closing in on an extension in Ottawa, but that appears to have stalled out at this point and now I am hearing four teams with interest..Calgary, Colorado, Chicago, and Columbus...The Jackets are being very aggressive in their search for additional scoring’’

from Eklund lol I know it’s not a good sources but hey it will make us talk for a while. Lol

Reactions: NB613

InTkachukWeTrust

Nov 10, 2013
‘’I was hearing Pageau was closing in on an extension in Ottawa, but that appears to have stalled out at this point and now I am hearing four teams with interest..Calgary, Colorado, Chicago, and Columbus...The Jackets are being very aggressive in their search for additional scoring’’

from Eklund lol I know it’s not a good sources but hey it will make us talk for a while. Lol

I wonder what we could get from Calgary for Pageau. I bet they would offer a 1st for him and something else as an addition. A prospect maybe?

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
So I’m generally against overpays ... as a franchise we have very little ability to attract talent. A late 1RD pick could cost us $3-4 mill and never play a game.

At what point does acknowledging Pager as a UFA overpayment make sense? It costs millions to develop a 1-2 RD pick and he is close to the average expected outcome. Very few players will come to Ottawa as a FA and the cost of adding a 2020 1-2 RD pick is really high.

Pager for $3.5 is a no brainer - so add a Ottawa geo/tax bias and $5.5. Makes sense financially.

The $5.5 Million number is more accurate. Charlie Coyle is getting $5.25M from the Bruins on a 6 year contract, and Pageau blows Coyle out of the water for relative 5v5 on-ice performance:

Reactions: Sweatred

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008

Based on the prices Jarmo paid at the deadline last year I'd be pretty pleased if he was sniffing around Pageau.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Based on the prices Jarmo paid at the deadline last year I'd be pretty pleased if he was sniffing around Pageau.

Jarmo was making a statement by going all-in last year, for the benefit of a fanbase that was growing apathetic to a decade of constant "conservative" rebuilding.

This year, they're forced to pick up the pieces and try to make something out of what they have left... Doubt Jarmo is willing to step up to the plate like he did last year for a loooong time.

InTkachukWeTrust

Nov 10, 2013
I mean, I don't think I would say no to 3 1st round picks this year but may it be wiser to ask teams for their 2021 pick?

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Lets just hope a team will offer a 1st.. because imo Pageau is not worth a 1st but we never know.

Pageau is absolutely worth a first, MINIMUM. I wouldn't even listen unless they added more than just a 1st.

We got a 1st (which is converted into a 1st and a 2nd), Gustavsson, and Cole (converted into a 3rd) for a broken down Brassard.

There's always a market for good bottom 6 players at the trade deadline. Pageau is an elite bottom 6 player, the best one on the market, and is a proven playoff performer. He could fit into so many teams looking to make some noise in the playoffs.

I'd look for a 1st, prospect, and a conditional pick (based on how far the team goes in the playoffs).

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Pageau is absolutely worth a first, MINIMUM. I wouldn't even listen unless they added more than just a 1st.

We got a 1st (which is converted into a 1st and a 2nd), Gustavsson, and Cole (converted into a 3rd) for a broken down Brassard.

There's always a market for good bottom 6 players at the trade deadline. Pageau is an elite bottom 6 player, the best one on the market, and is a proven playoff performer. He could fit into so many teams looking to make some noise in the playoffs.

I'd look for a 1st, prospect, and a conditional pick (based on how far the team goes in the playoffs).

Wrt Brassard, he had term left, and was having a bit of a resurgence the year we traded him, on pace for 54 pts with us before the trade. We also flipped 3rds with the pens which basically meant downgrading from 64th in 2018 to 83rd in 2019. In the end, it was an excellent trade for us, but not something I'd use as a benchmark for acceptable. We absolutely killed on that trade.

Pageau might not want to sign with us for what we're willing to offer. If he's not signed by the deadline, we should move him for whatever the best offer is, even if it doesn't include a 1st.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Wrt Brassard, he had term left, and was having a bit of a resurgence the year we traded him, on pace for 54 pts with us before the trade. We also flipped 3rds with the pens which basically meant downgrading from 64th in 2018 to 83rd in 2019. In the end, it was an excellent trade for us, but not something I'd use as a benchmark for acceptable. We absolutely killed on that trade.

Pageau might not want to sign with us for what we're willing to offer. If he's not signed by the deadline, we should move him for whatever the best offer is, even if it doesn't include a 1st.

Another benchmark is Fisher. We traded him to Nashville for a 1st and a conditional pick. I would argue Pageau is at least as good as Fisher was (and is younger than he was)

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Another benchmark is Fisher. We traded him to Nashville for a 1st and a conditional pick. I would argue Pageau is at least as good as Fisher was (and is younger than he was)

Again, Fisher had term left. 30 years old on a relatively team friendly contract for two more years, excellent two way player similar to Pageau but with size. He had shown far more offensive consistency than Pageau has over his career, was a year removed from a 25 g 53 pts and immediately returned to that form in Nashville. I love Pageau as a player, but Fisher was a better player imo.

If we can deal a signed Pageau, sure, maybe he gets that kind of value, but as it stands, he's a rental and should be compared to rentals when trying to determine his value.

Reactions: SanderSen

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008

Fisher also had 2.5 years of term left. Tough to compare impending UFA's to guys dealt with term (Brassard and Fisher) as it typically affects the price quite a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->