Yann Sauve vs. Drew Doughty

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Always fun to look back on these threads. I looked at the OP and Karlsson's not mentioned at all there. Got to think he's the best player to come out of the draft.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
I would have to go with Yann Sauve without thinking about it, Sauve has the potential to be like a Dion Phaneuf, also don't count Colten Teubert short either for top 3 d-men for the draft. I would really think Patrice Cormier is very underrated and could actually have more of an impact than Yann Sauve even though they are two different positions. Cormier IMO could be a 1st overall pick in the NHL draft as well. Right now I would put the big players for the draft as:

Yann Sauve
Patrice Cormier
Kirill Petrov
Colten Teubert
Drew Doughty

looking on the inside out as guys to push for top 5:
Tomi Karhonen
Vladimir Roth
Steven Stamkos
Kevin Poulin
Chris Doyle
Mitch Wahl
Jan Kana
Phil McRae
Mike Cichy

there are many other top prospects like Zach Boychuk and Mike Delzotto and etc etc, but these are the guys I think will make a push for top 5 picks and top 10 picks for sure almost.

THIS is exactly why it's hilarious watching some posters call certain draft picks "busts" or "steals" at such young ages :laugh:

2008 was a fairly good draft yet every player on this list expect Stamkos and Doughty amounted to close to nothing.

This isn't a shot at this poster specifically, just shows how hard it is to predict player development.

Reactions: wetcoast

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
On another note, Sauve is only 27.. I think he still has a chance to be better.

Satastic

Nazi punks **** off
Sep 12, 2014
Riverbank, CA
I always find bumps like this interesting, I like seeing how people viewed certain players oh so many years ago
Not to make fun of them, but just to see how much it can change and how draft picks are never a sure thing

Make It Biznasty*

Jul 18, 2012
Anyone else excited about the possibility of having defenseman go #1 and #2 overall in 2008? Yes, I understand it's a long ways away and there are guys like McRea, Stamkos ect. who are also very talented players.

But looking at it right now, whose the better prospect of the two, Doughty or Sauve? I haven't seen much of Drew play but some told me that he was better than Ryan Parent some nights as a 16 year old.

Sauve impressed the heck out of me with his performance at the U-17's, and while he is going to the Q, I have to say he seems to be a complete defenseman.

So who will be the better of the two ultimately?

x-sharkie was a beaut

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Saw it on another thread....Sauve just signed with the Nottignham Panthers in England...yes "Panthers" not "Sheriffs".Too bad...that name would have been better than anything the ECHL could come up with such as the Greenville Swamp Rabbits or the Atlantic City "Boardwalk Bullies"....And Doughy could probably play in that league when he's 60.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
I remember x-sharkie was a scout. Does scoutman1 have a job yet? Hes been around for a hella long time and has been one of the best around here

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
The way people feel about Drew on this board, I was pleasantly surprised to see this was an old thread rather than a new one ;)

Reactions: wetcoast

Short Side High

Jul 11, 2006
THIS is exactly why it's hilarious watching some posters call certain draft picks "busts" or "steals" at such young ages :laugh:

2008 was a fairly good draft yet every player on this list expect Stamkos and Doughty amounted to close to nothing.

This isn't a shot at this poster specifically, just shows how hard it is to predict player development.

This thread was created when the guys in question were 16. It's almost nothing like calling players who have already been drafted busts. It's a hell of a lot easier to predict a guy's future trajectory at 19 than it is at 16.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Came here to say I think Doughty is currently ahead of Sauve.

We'll see if this still holds up in 2 years when this thread gets bumped!

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
Typical HF overreaction. They are only a few years into their pro careers, and everyone knows defensemen take longer to develop. Would it be a crime to pause the Doughty hype train and actually give Yann Sauve a chance to reach his potential? This kid is severely underrated right now.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Joke went way over your head kid :D
It sure did lol
Typical HF overreaction. They are only a few years into their pro careers, and everyone knows defensemen take longer to develop. Would it be a crime to pause the Doughty hype train and actually give Yann Sauve a chance to reach his potential? This kid is severely underrated right now.
:laugh: too good

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I would have to go with Yann Sauve without thinking about it, Sauve has the potential to be like a Dion Phaneuf, also don't count Colten Teubert short either for top 3 d-men for the draft. I would really think Patrice Cormier is very underrated and could actually have more of an impact than Yann Sauve even though they are two different positions. Cormier IMO could be a 1st overall pick in the NHL draft as well. Right now I would put the big players for the draft as:

Yann Sauve
Patrice Cormier
Kirill Petrov
Colten Teubert
Drew Doughty

looking on the inside out as guys to push for top 5:
Tomi Karhonen
Vladimir Roth
Steven Stamkos
Kevin Poulin
Chris Doyle
Mitch Wahl
Jan Kana
Phil McRae
Mike Cichy

there are many other top prospects like Zach Boychuk and Mike Delzotto and etc etc, but these are the guys I think will make a push for top 5 picks and top 10 picks for sure almost.

I love guys who pretend to be scouts...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad