Yann Sauve vs. Drew Doughty

X-SHARKIE

Anyone else excited about the possibility of having defenseman go #1 and #2 overall in 2008? Yes, I understand it's a long ways away and there are guys like McRea, Stamkos ect. who are also very talented players.

But looking at it right now, whose the better prospect of the two, Doughty or Sauve? I haven't seen much of Drew play but some told me that he was better than Ryan Parent some nights as a 16 year old.

Sauve impressed the heck out of me with his performance at the U-17's, and while he is going to the Q, I have to say he seems to be a complete defenseman.

So who will be the better of the two ultimately?

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
I would have to go with Yann Sauve without thinking about it, Sauve has the potential to be like a Dion Phaneuf, also don't count Colten Teubert short either for top 3 d-men for the draft. I would really think Patrice Cormier is very underrated and could actually have more of an impact than Yann Sauve even though they are two different positions. Cormier IMO could be a 1st overall pick in the NHL draft as well. Right now I would put the big players for the draft as:

Yann Sauve
Patrice Cormier
Kirill Petrov
Colten Teubert
Drew Doughty

looking on the inside out as guys to push for top 5:
Tomi Karhonen
Vladimir Roth
Steven Stamkos
Kevin Poulin
Chris Doyle
Mitch Wahl
Jan Kana
Phil McRae
Mike Cichy

there are many other top prospects like Zach Boychuk and Mike Delzotto and etc etc, but these are the guys I think will make a push for top 5 picks and top 10 picks for sure almost.

Last edited:

MM425

Aug 14, 2005
I saw Doughty play a few times last year... he seems like the real deal.

The minitues he logged as a 16 year old were insane... the only real knock on him is that he isn't huge ( 6'0 tall)... but he'll probably still grow and inch or two.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
I saw Doughty play a few times last year... he seems like the real deal.

The minitues he logged as a 16 year old were insane... the only real knock on him is that he isn't huge ( 6'0 tall)... but he'll probably still grow and inch or two.

Yeah but with the new NHL, 6'00 tall isn't bad, I think you will see alot more d-men succeed now that are 6'00 to 5'11 now.

RUSqueelin*

Nov 2, 2005
I didn't realize Doughty had a late birthday. Have to wait two more years for this kid to get drafted! Some scouts said they would have drafted him in the first round this year. The kid will be analyzed to death.

I've also heard scouts say that Delzotto is like Doughty but just a little better in every aspect of the game. 89 and 90 is going to provide the NHL with some serious talent. Imagine an NHL with no more Aki Berg's.

Stormfanz

Jul 24, 2006
I didn't realize Doughty had a late birthday. Have to wait two more years for this kid to get drafted! Some scouts said they would have drafted him in the first round this year. The kid will be analyzed to death.

In Guelph we also have Doughty's teammate Jamie Arniel, a centre, who played great as an 89 for the Storm. He also is a late birthday. If he keeps improving the way he did this year, Guelph may have two highly ranked players for the 08 draft. Very quick and very smart, played well defensively.

MM425

Aug 14, 2005
Yeah but with the new NHL, 6'00 tall isn't bad, I think you will see alot more d-men succeed now that are 6'00 to 5'11 now.

Oh I agree... I'm just saying that if he was Eric Johnson's size... he'd have the 1st overall pick in 08 locked down already.

Cyrrus147

Jul 3, 2006
Montreal
I would have to go with Yann Sauve without thinking about it, Sauve has the potential to be like a Dion Phaneuf, also don't count Colten Teubert short either for top 3 d-men for the draft. I would really think Patrice Cormier is very underrated and could actually have more of an impact than Yann Sauve even though they are two different positions. Cormier IMO could be a 1st overall pick in the NHL draft as well. Right now I would put the big players for the draft as:

Yann Sauve
Patrice Cormier
Kirill Petrov
Colten Teubert
Drew Doughty

Tomi Karhonen
Vladimir Roth
Steven Stamkos
Kevin Poulin
Chris Doyle
Mitch Wahl
Jan Kana
Phil McRae
Mike Cichy

there are many other top prospects like Zach Boychuk and Mike Delzotto and etc etc, but these are the guys I think will make a push for top 5 picks and top 10 picks for sure almost.

ouch at least you are not a NHL scout :P

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles

Yann Sauve
Patrice Cormier
Kirill Petrov
Colten Teubert
Drew Doughty

Tomi Karhonen
Vladimir Roth
Steven Stamkos
Kevin Poulin
Chris Doyle
Mitch Wahl
Jan Kana
Phil McRae
Mike Cichy

PWNED. Some of those guys weren't even drafted.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
ouch at least you are not a NHL scout :P

He posted that in 2006. I'd imagine that most NHL scouts' lists would have looked pretty different back then than what the draft order ended up being. These guys would have been 15/16 at the time.

backofthenet

Jul 31, 2006

Yann Sauve
Patrice Cormier
Kirill Petrov
Colten Teubert
Drew Doughty

Tomi Karhonen
Vladimir Roth
Steven Stamkos
Kevin Poulin
Chris Doyle
Mitch Wahl
Jan Kana
Phil McRae
Mike Cichy

Takes Balls to call your shot TWO years before a draft. Looking at his picks, he did pretty good.

Well done.

Jacob Christian

May 27, 2008
Well, this thread also shows how much that happens over the course of two years. Yann Sauve going from being considered a possible top 5 pick to being drafted in the second round (Vancouver) and some of the other players didn't even get drafted.

Who knows? Maybe in 5 years Yann Sauve is having a great NHL career and Doughty is struggling to make the NHL team. Hard to believe though that Doughty won't be a top d-man in the NHL. From what I've seen of him and by reading scout reports he could be an impact player right away.

lfchockey*

This is a pretty cool thread. It'd be interesting to try to find some more of these from a year or more ago.
I love to read some of the bickering that goes on in them because some guy is dead-set that his opinion outweighs all others'

RUSqueelin*

Nov 2, 2005

I've also heard scouts say that Delzotto is like Doughty but just a little better in every aspect of the game. 89 and 90 is going to provide the NHL with some serious talent. Imagine an NHL with no more Aki Berg's.

wow. I just had one of those moments. I remember writing this and where I was when I did. Weird.

As for the people making fun of some of the prospect predictions. Grow up. Where were your opinions? And since you think the poster got pawned, I guess all the scouting agencies did too since there were saying the same things.

sbtatter

Feb 27, 2005
The guys on this thread in 2006 did alright, if scouting 2 years before a draft was an exact science it would be pretty boring! Even the most dominant 16 year old may never make the NHL.......keep on writing here X sharkie et al.....

AgentNaslund*

:)gotta be a joke. Yan Sauve is far better then Doughty guys. :nod::nod:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad