NHL Entry Draft: Yandle Bars 7 Round Mock Draft Game

Vankiller Whale

Fire Benning
May 12, 2012
Toronto
Does anyone agree with this trade? Either team need to add?

To Edmonton: James Reimer
To Toronto: Zach Fucale

Reimer and Dubnyk are both very similar players. Dubnyk is playing quite well now, and Fucale has the potential to be a franchise goalie, which I think neither Reimer/Dubnyk will ever be. I can't speak for value, but I don't think Edmonton would give up that much potential for a player they basically already have.

George Maharis

Risk Taker
Feb 6, 2011
nova sGOATia
Reimer and Dubnyk are both very similar players. Dubnyk is playing quite well now, and Fucale has the potential to be a franchise goalie, which I think neither Reimer/Dubnyk will ever be. I can't speak for value, but I don't think Edmonton would give up that much potential for a player they basically already have.

My main reasoning was because of Khabibulin.. at 40 years old, and playing the way he's been for the last 4-5 years, I doubt he has anything more than a year left in him. Assuming he retires at the end of the season, they'll have basically nobody for the backup position!! They'd have Yann Danis, but he isn't exactly the ideal backup.. With Reimer they'd have a fantastic combo of Reimer/Dubnyk, which is basically two starting goalies no matter what!!

What if Toronto added a 2014 2nd to it?

Vankiller Whale

Fire Benning
May 12, 2012
Toronto
My main reasoning was because of Khabibulin.. at 40 years old, and playing the way he's been for the last 4-5 years, I doubt he has anything more than a year left in him. Assuming he retires at the end of the season, they'll have basically nobody for the backup position!! They'd have Yann Danis, but he isn't exactly the ideal backup.. With Reimer they'd have a fantastic combo of Reimer/Dubnyk, which is basically two starting goalies no matter what!!

It's really not the value, which is probably close. I just don't think Edmonton would give up a fantastic goalie prospect for a player similar to what they already have. If they only needed a backup, then they could probably get someone at a cheaper price, or even sign someone for free while they wait for Fucale to develop.

Water Knight

Apr 11, 2012

If Toronto added a 2nd (or even possibly a 3rd instead of a 2nd), I could see this trade happening. Oilers take a risk of losing a future franchise goaltender , but in exchange get a 2nd and a proven NHL backpup/ possible starter (who is only 24 years of age). Ultimately how desperate the Oilers are to get a proven goalie into the fold will determine wither they will accept a second or third as payment for a great goalie prospect.

Toronto is taking a risk, but it could really pay off for them later if he turns into the player many see him becoming.

George Maharis

Risk Taker
Feb 6, 2011
nova sGOATia
It's really not the value, which is probably close. I just don't think Edmonton would give up a fantastic goalie prospect for a player similar to what they already have. If they only needed a backup, then they could probably get someone at a cheaper price, or even sign someone for free while they wait for Fucale to develop.

STOP USING LOGIC, I WANT FUCALE ON THE LEAFS!!! :laugh:

The thing is that you are right, they could do that.. but at this point, Fucale has proved literally nothing aside from a spectacular junior career. For all we know he may not become anything, or just become someone along the lines of Jonathan Bernier.. a terrific junior player who never blossomed into what we thought he would.

Even if it is a player they basically have already, it's still two solid netminders instead of one and a ****** backup. Is it really worth being at the bottom of the league for the next 3 years instead of a playoff-calibre team? It's a risk, and it would suck to give up Fucale, but I think it's worth it.

George Maharis

Risk Taker
Feb 6, 2011
nova sGOATia
If Toronto added a 2nd (or even possibly a 3rd instead of a 2nd), I could see this trade happening. Oilers take a risk of losing a future franchise goaltender , but in exchange get a 2nd and a proven NHL backpup/ possible starter (who is only 24 years of age). Ultimately how desperate the Oilers are to get a proven goalie into the fold will determine wither they will accept a second or third as payment for a great goalie prospect.

Toronto is taking a risk, but it could really pay off for them later if he turns into the player many see him becoming.

I don't see it as a risk for Toronto at all. Having picked up Schneider and Theodore, Reimer has no place on the team. Theodore still has about 5 years left in him, which would give Fucale time to progress, and until then if one of Schneider/Theodore got hurt, Scrivens could be called up.

Honestly, if it comes down to it, i'll do Reimer/2014 2nd/2014 3rd.. It's not like this is going to affect the actual team!! And even then, next years draft is a weak one anyways, so giving up the two picks is not something i'd lose sleep over.

Water Knight

Apr 11, 2012
I don't see it as a risk for Toronto at all. Having picked up Schneider and Theodore, Reimer has no place on the team. Theodore still has about 5 years left in him, which would give Fucale time to progress, and until then if one of Schneider/Theodore got hurt, Scrivens could be called up.

Honestly, if it comes down to it, i'll do Reimer/2014 2nd/2014 3rd.. It's not like this is going to affect the actual team!! And even then, next years draft is a weak one anyways, so giving up the two picks is not something i'd lose sleep over.

true.

I'm just not completely sold on Fucale yet (I haven't seen him play much though), but that's just me. :badidea:

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Why does Toronto need Fucale with Schneider there?

George Maharis

Risk Taker
Feb 6, 2011
nova sGOATia
Why does Toronto need Fucale with Schneider there?

They don't exactly need him, it's more that I want him. :laugh:

But to appear like I actually have this planned out properly.. Schneider is 26 years old. I've estimated that it will take Fucale 3 years before he's NHL ready.. 5 years before he's the franchise guy. After that 5 years Schneider will be 31 years old, and Theodore will be retired. Scrivens will either be in the AHL, or he'll be with a different franchise.. That leaves Toronto with a 1-2 punch of Fucale/Schneider.

In 5-years I see the Leafs being something along the lines of:

Lupul - Grabovski - Kessel
Kulemin - Colborne - Frattin
MacArthur - Bozak - Ashton
McLaren - Komarov - Orr

Phaneuf - Reilly
Gardiner - Zadorov
Gunnarsson - Finn

Fucale/Schneider

And that's not even factoring in the next 5 drafts, free agency periods, and trades!! Personally, I think that's a pretty damn good team... A top-9 that has the ability to score plenty of goals, and a 4th line that'll never back down.. 3 solid lines of defence.. and a franchise goalie backed by a worthy starter!!

HubOfHockey1918

May 14, 2011
:bruins select Carl Dahlstrom D Linkoping JR (Sweden JR)

2013 :bruins Draft Class

1-21 Kerby Rychel F Windsor (OHL)
2-51 Chris Bigras D Owen Sound (OHL)
2-57 (NSH) Jimmy Lodge F Saginaw (OHL)
3-81 Luke Ripley D Powell River (BCHL)
4-111 Daniel Lafontaine F Avon Old Farms (High-CT)
5-141 Brendan Harms F Fargo (USHL)
6-171 Scott Savage D US National Development Program
7-201 Carl Dahlstrom D Linkoping JR (Sweden JR)

Last edited:

George Maharis

Risk Taker
Feb 6, 2011
nova sGOATia
Mr. Momentum pm'd me earlier saying he'd be going out of town "in a few hours".. he told me who he wanted, but before I make the pick for him, i'm waiting an hour JUST IN CASE he's still home and makes the pick himself.

DMaz16

@DMaz16
Jun 6, 2011
Edmonton, AB
The New York Islanders are proud to select from the Swift Current Broncos of the Western Hockey League

jay-merkley0759.jpg

Jay Merkley​

NY Islander Picks:
1st Round (22) - Curtis Lazar - FW (WHL)
3rd Round (82) - Greg Chase - FW (WHL)
4th Round (105) - Rinat Valiyev - D (USHL)
4th Round (112) - Eamon Mcadam - G (USHL)
5th Round (142) - Gabryel Paquin-Boudreau - FW (QMJHL)
6th Round (172) - Matthew Needham - FW (WHL)
7th Round (202) - Jay Merkley - FW (WHL)

This is the Islanders final pick

DMaz16

@DMaz16
Jun 6, 2011
Edmonton, AB
The Calgary Flames are also finished picking in the 2013 draft

Calgary Picks:
1st Round (14) - Adam Erne - FW (QMJHL)
2nd Round (32) - Alexander Wennberg - FW (SEL)
2nd Round (56) - Eric Roy - D (WHL)
4th Round (104) - Martin Reway - FW (QMJHL)
6th Round (164) - Spencer Jensen - D (WHL)
6th Round (176) - Carter Verhaeghe - FW (OHL)
7th Round (194) - Trevor Cox - FW (WHL)​

RR

Mar 8, 2009
Cave Creek, AZ
New mock draft

Once we're wrapped up with this draft we're going to do another one. There will be a few tweaks that will hopefully move things along more quickly. rey, water, myself, and hopefully YandleBars, will manage the draft.

We'll be putting up a sign-up thread in the next 2 days so if you're interested in taking part, send me a PM with your top 3 team choices. Teams will be awarded on a first-come first-serve basis. Once we know who's coming back we'll open it up to new sign-ups.

Shooting for 30 GMs so if you know someone invite them in.

DMaz16

@DMaz16
Jun 6, 2011
Edmonton, AB
The Ottawa Senators are also finished picking in the 2013 draft

Ottawa Picks:
Round 1 (4) - Jonathan Drouin - F (QJMHL)
Round 3 (64) - Nicholas Baptiste - F (OHL)
Round 3 (86) - Kayle Doetzel - D (WHL)
Round 4 (94) - Zach Nastasiuk - F (OHL)
Round 5 (124) - Wilhelm Westlund - D (SEL)

Terrence

Aug 3, 2010
With pick #203, :caps select goaltender Ville Husso. This is the :caps last pick.

:caps Picks:

1 (13) - Josh Morrissey
2 (45) - Madison Bowey
3 (83) - Stephen Haper
5 (134) - Sergei Tolchinsky
5 (143) - Sergei Stetsenko
6 (173) - Niklas Hansson
7 (203) - Ville Husso

DMaz16

@DMaz16
Jun 6, 2011
Edmonton, AB
Of the three teams I owned I like both the depth and and high end picks of both the Flames and Sens but I wouldn't be happy as an Isles fan with this draft... Firstly I wouldn't have picked Lazar at that spot and secondly I'm sure Snow would target more D... I felt that every time I went to pick for them there were at least a handful of better forwards than my highest rated D so I kept going BPA... looking back now though I should have attended to organizational need a little more

Anyway it was fun guys, thanks to the GM's that actually stayed past the sexy names, hopefully if RR gets another mock going I'll see you guys again

George Maharis

Risk Taker
Feb 6, 2011
nova sGOATia
Of the three teams I owned I like both the depth and and high end picks of both the Flames and Sens but I wouldn't be happy as an Isles fan with this draft... Firstly I wouldn't have picked Lazar at that spot and secondly I'm sure Snow would target more D... I felt that every time I went to pick for them there were at least a handful of better forwards than my highest rated D so I kept going BPA... looking back now though I should have attended to organizational need a little more

Anyway it was fun guys, thanks to the GM's that actually stayed past the sexy names, hopefully if RR gets another mock going I'll see you guys again

RR, myself, and Water Knight already have one planned!! We've actually been discussing it since, perhaps, the 3rd-4th round. If you're interested (im sure you are) pm RR your top-3 choices for who you'd like to be.

George Maharis

Risk Taker
Feb 6, 2011
nova sGOATia
With pick #203, :caps select goaltender Ville Husso. This is the :caps last pick.

1 (13) - Josh Morrissey
2 (45) - Madison Bowey
3 (83) - Stephen Haper
6 (173) - Niklas Hansson
7 (203) - Ville Husso

To think I actually contemplated taking him with the 110th pick instead of Saros.. I guess I chose the right guy!!

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010

1 (13) - Josh Morrissey
2 (45) - Madison Bowey
3 (83) - Stephen Haper
6 (173) - Niklas Hansson
7 (203) - Ville Husso

This was a damn good draft, and definitely fits the Washington MO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad