Recalled/Assigned: Yamamoto Recalled; Chiasson to IR

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
An awful lot of hyperbole for a move that is likely to be very temporary as Chiasson is only scheduled to be out a week to 10 days. That means that Yamamoto plays approx 5 games at most.

Cant understand why that is such a problem for some posters. :dunno:

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
An awful lot of hyperbole for a move that is likely to be very temporary as Chiasson is only scheduled to be out a week to 10 days. That means that Yamamoto plays approx 5 games at most.

Oh i've no problem calling someone up when they're hurt. My problem is they don't piss a drop for the team.
Anaheim calls someone up.. that player plays balls to the walls and contributes.
Edmonton is that antithesis.. f*** I bet they'd rather play in California farm team than pay attention to whatever is happening in deadmonton.

We have such great role models after all.. I wanna be like Lucic.. a useless contributing bum making big bucks.

this team... franchise ... organization is a piece of shit. and i f***ing shit on them.. like they've shit on their fans for 15 years.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I like Yamamoto a lot... I think I'm probably one of his bigger fans here on HFOil.

He works his ass off and has defensive awareness to go along with good offensive instincts.

He'll be an NHL player and a very good one at that.

Should he have been called up now? Well that's up for debate because it could be argued he could use a little more development in the AHL... BUT, he's not going to get any bigger... he's either going to make it in the NHL playing at his size or he isn't. Simple as that.

The Oilers are desperate for scoring past their "Big 3" forwards so the door is wide open for someone to step up... especially now with Chiasson gone for the short term at least.

Is Yamamoto potentially just as good as some of the other #4-12 forwards on this team? Probably... especially because it's such a low bar to achieve that level.

Sure there's some desperation here in any moves this team makes... the season is slowly slipping away with injuries starting to be a factor now as well... to go along with basically non-existent secondary scoring.

If Yamamoto can do something... anything... then it's certainly worth a shot to see what he can bring. It's not as if other options on this team are doing much better and he'll be taking a spot from someone else that's doing better and producing more.

Reactions: KYams17 and Shathar

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Hmm people have been saying that all season.

So either he's going to have one of the highest shooting percentage seasons in the history of the NHL or ... he was going to cool off at some point.

His shooting % is double Kucherov, who's leading the league in points, lol.

Wayne Gretzky's highest career S% was the 83-84 season where he topped 200 points with a 26.4% shooting percentage so right now Chiasson is absolutely demolishing that.

Last edited:

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
I don't think he's ready, would rather have given him a longer string of games to build confidence down there but lord knows we need bodies. Maybe Hitch can teach him a thing or two as well.

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
So either he's going to have one of the highest shooting percentage seasons in the history of the NHL or ... he was going to cool off at some point.

His shooting % is double Kucherov, who's leading the league in points, lol.

Wayne Gretzky's highest career S% was the 83-84 season where he topped 200 points with a 26.4% shooting percentage so right now Chiasson is absolutely demolishing that.
Well, to be fair, Wayne did call Chiasson the most effective shooter that he's ever seen.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013

I think continuity is hugely important when it comes to developing prospects. Having them jojoing up and down between the farm and main team is not a good idea.

It's not like they had no other options. Zykov could've been given a look in the top6. Instead they waive him...? Makes no sense.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I’m very aware Yammy started this year in the lineup. No need to get condescending. If
he looks completely out if his element again then send him down. The season is on the verge of collapse and I’m willing to believe in anything right now.

I specifically had responded to your multiple comments that seemed condescending towards McCup. I'm not convinced desperation attempts are the thing to do. Again the Oilers just waived Zykov the same day. They didn't even try him for any length of time in topsix. They barely let him on the ice. For some reason that flies in the face of the try anything logic. But damned straight I would rather see a 200lb Zykov on Drai's line that has a one timer and decent shot than a 153lb Yamamoto that has never been noted for any particularly amazing shot.

Shathar

Jul 23, 2009
Moncton, New Brunswi
I like Yamamoto a lot... I think I'm probably one of his bigger fans here on HFOil.

He works his ass off and has defensive awareness to go along with good offensive instincts.

He'll be an NHL player and a very good one at that.

Should he have been called up now? Well that's up for debate because it could be argued he could use a little more development in the AHL... BUT, he's not going to get any bigger... he's either going to make it in the NHL playing at his size or he isn't. Simple as that.

The Oilers are desperate for scoring past their "Big 3" forwards so the door is wide open for someone to step up... especially now with Chiasson gone for the short term at least.

Is Yamamoto potentially just as good as some of the other #4-12 forwards on this team? Probably... especially because it's such a low bar to achieve that level.

Sure there's some desperation here in any moves this team makes... the season is slowly slipping away with injuries starting to be a factor now as well... to go along with basically non-existent secondary scoring.

If Yamamoto can do something... anything... then it's certainly worth a shot to see what he can bring. It's not as if other options on this team are doing much better and he'll be taking a spot from someone else that's doing better and producing more.

I love Yamamoto as well. Right now, he needs a little more time and space than he has at this level to really be effective. But I would never bet against the guy. He oozes determination.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Another disclosure here too. One of the reasons I never wanted the Oilers spending a first round pick on Yamamoto was that it was another hope pick. I don't see the rationale in picking a guy this small, that high. Its quite clear, crystal, that the Oilers were influenced to make this pick due to the success down south of Gaudreau. But the Flames used a 104th pick, 4th round, to make that gambit selection. You're not losing a lot if it doesn't work out using a 4th round pick.

Next, small players don't work in the NHL in isolation. They work in schemes and select teams that are based on speed and quick puck movement and using the ice and spreading out D coverage. Its team play that creates open spots. Think about where small players are having success. With teams like Tampa, Calgary, Vancouver, Chicago where speed/skill is where those teams have gone. So that those teams have key pieces, structure, schemes to assist those players being successful. The Oilers don't have that in place. We don't have the players to play a through the lineup speed game, we don't have the puck transition PMD for it, we just have throw Kailer to the wall and hope he sticks.

A small player has to have elite edges and speed to work out at the NHl level. Your ability to stop and go on a dime and to create space better than 90% of players is critical. Without elite skating ability your size is an impediment. Its non negotiatble. You have to be better moving than anybody you play against. Its the only way you succeed in the NHL at 153lbs. The only way.

So in sum we don't have a system that benefits or creates space and open ice for small players and we don't have a small player that is particularly adept at creating his own open ice and space. All we have is an org, and some of its fans saying. "Oh, I hope this works"

I've been seeing that here since;

Hall
Omark
Paajarvi
Eberle

and people figuring those 4 players together were an allstar core. 2 of them were obvious NHL players. 2 were obviously not.

So when people just joining a board come in here and tell us "just have hope", "just have patience" its as if decades of this haven't already unfolded. heh.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Another disclosure here too. One of the reasons I never wanted the Oilers spending a first round pick on Yamamoto was that it was another hope pick. I don't see the rationale in picking a guy this small, that high. Its quite clear, crystal, that the Oilers were influenced to make this pick due to the success down south of Gaudreau. But the Flames used a 104th pick, 4th round, to make that gambit selection. You're not losing a lot if it doesn't work out using a 4th round pick.

Next, small players don't work in the NHL in isolation. They work in schemes and select teams that are based on speed and quick puck movement and using the ice and spreading out D coverage. Its team play that creates open spots. Think about where small players are having success. With teams like Tampa, Calgary, Vancouver, Chicago where speed/skill is where those teams have gone. So that those teams have key pieces, structure, schemes to assist those players being successful. The Oilers don't have that in place. We don't have the players to play a through the lineup speed game, we don't have the puck transition PMD for it, we just have throw Kailer to the wall and hope he sticks.

A small player has to have elite edges and speed to work out at the NHl level. Your ability to stop and go on a dime and to create space better than 90% of players is critical. Without elite skating ability your size is an impediment. Its non negotiatble. You have to be better moving than anybody you play against. Its the only way you succeed in the NHL at 153lbs. The only way.

So in sum we don't have a system that benefits or creates space and open ice for small players and we don't have a small player that is particularly adept at creating his own open ice and space. All we have is an org, and some of its fans saying. "Oh, I hope this works"

I've been seeing that here since;

Hall
Omark
Paajarvi
Eberle

and people figuring those 4 players together were an allstar core. 2 of them were obvious NHL players. 2 were obviously not.

So when people just joining a board come in here and tell us "just have hope", "just have patience" its as if decades of this haven't already unfolded. heh.

Im not a huge fan of Yammo, but I have no problem with this oraganization picking him that late in the first round. Its not like we went off the board to pick him. He was ranked right where we picked him by all scouting services.

Today I still dont see a player left in that draft that I would of picked before Yammo.

As a fan of the Oilers I would rather cheer for him to succeed even though I have my doubts. It only helps this team if he does.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Im not a huge fan of Yammo, but I have no problem with this oraganization picking him that late in the first round. Its not like we went off the board to pick him. He was ranked right where we picked him by all scouting services.

Today I still dont see a player left in that draft that I would of picked before Yammo.

As a fan of the Oilers I would rather cheer for him to succeed even though I have my doubts. It only helps this team if he does.

Central scouting gets swayed for the same Gaudreau reasons. Ask yourself if theres any way, any, that a Yamamoto is ranked so high, and picked so high by the Oilers if Gaudreau success doesn't occur.

I don't like backward draft do overs because restrospection, with results, is crystal ball oriented. But if I had to a guy like Tolvanen, and he'll be a good player, and the better clubs just keep getting better even with a 30th pick.

The thing that has to be remembered is that when the Oilers drafted Kailer Yamamoto he was 146lbs. He's 153now. I don't have a stat engine that searches this but he could be the lightest player ever drafted in the modern era. I can't find anybody slighter. It magnifies how small he is.

Just found a citation;

Kailer Yamamoto, shortest NHL player ever drafted;

Oilers pick Kailer Yamamoto shortest NHL first-rounder in history

btw he's listed as 148lbs there but I have another citation saying he was 146 at draft. In anycase the shortest, and likely lightest player ever drafted by the NHL in modern era.

before I'm accused of sizeism this from Yamamoto;

The next step for him as a player?
“Obviously, I need to get bigger. I’m a little light,” he said. “I need to gain those pounds to get to that appropriate body weight.”
What can we expect the smallest first-rounder in NHL history topping out at?
“My brother’s about 160 right now, so maybe 170,” he said.

Last edited:

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Central Scouting was not factoring in Gaudreau when they ranked Yamamoto. If Yama was a few inches taller he probably would have gone 1st overall to NJ.

Don't understand the people bashing him here. Pierre Olivier Joseph was drafted right after him.. I don't think the fans of the team that drafted him are bitching over him.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Central scouting gets swayed for the same Gaudreau reasons. Ask yourself if theres any way, any, that a Yamamoto is ranked so high, and picked so high by the Oilers if Gaudreau success doesn't occur.

I don't like backward draft do overs because restrospection, with results, is crystal ball oriented. But if I had to a guy like Tolvanen, and he'll be a good player, and the better clubs just keep getting better even with a 30th pick.

The thing that has to be remembered is that when the Oilers drafted Kailer Yamamoto he was 146lbs. He's 153now. I don't have a stat engine that searches this but he could be the lightest player ever drafted in the modern era. I can't find anybody slighter. It magnifies how small he is.

Just found a citation;

Kailer Yamamoto, shortest NHL player ever drafted;

Oilers pick Kailer Yamamoto shortest NHL first-rounder in history

btw he's listed as 148lbs there but I have another citation saying he was 146 at draft. In anycase the shortest, and likely lightest player ever drafted by the NHL in modern era.

before I'm accused of sizeism this from Yamamoto;

The next step for him as a player?
“Obviously, I need to get bigger. I’m a little light,” he said. “I need to gain those pounds to get to that appropriate body weight.”
What can we expect the smallest first-rounder in NHL history topping out at?
—" data-reactid="36">“My brother’s about 160 right now, so maybe 170,” he said.

So you have one player that you would pick instead of Yammo at 22?

Central Scouting is only one publication, every other publication including Bobby Mac had Yammo right where he was picked.

Yammo wasnt sloted where he was because of Johnny Hockey, he was a highly skilled offensive forward that was ripping up the WHL at a young age. Thats why he was a first rounder all day every day.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

I think Yamamoto has an opportunity for him to generate offence from the bottom 6. I am not sure we should be having prospects in that position but it speaks to our lack of NHL quality depth.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
I don't mind this too much...

A bit like adding Caggiula to the top line, Yamamoto brings a decent motor and puck retriever to McDrai. He had a nice TC, and seemed to be re-discovering his game in Bakersfield. I don't mind giving him a shot.

Khaira's also back next game, and he's one of the few that seem to work well with Pulju. I wouldn't be opposed to seeing...

Draisaitl-McDavid-Yamamoto
Khaira-RNH-Puljujarvi
Lucic-Brodziak-Kassian
Rieder-Spooner-Rattie/Caggiula

Swap in Rattie or Caggiula if things are going right for him.

Though I do agree with a few in this thread. You just lost Chiasson, wouldn't Zykov be a better fit to replace him? Yama should be swapped in for Rattie or Caggiula.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2