Recalled/Assigned: Yamamoto Recalled; Chiasson to IR

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
So you have one player that you would pick instead of Yammo at 22?

Central Scouting is only one publication, every other publication including Bobby Mac had Yammo right where he was picked.

Yammo wasnt sloted where he was because of Johnny Hockey, he was a highly skilled offensive forward that was ripping up the WHL at a young age. Thats why he was a first rounder all day every day.

I didn't state the Oilers went off the form chart on the pick. I stated that Central scouting would have been influenced by Gaudreau success. Indeed almost every draft synopsis of Yamamoto focuses on the success of Gaudreau and the other Spokane player, Tyler Johnson. They are indelibly tied, but I see very little similar in the players.

Ripping up the WHL? He was 6th in pts production. 31pts behind the leading scorer. Considering his size, and how good the smallest player ever in the NHL would need to be to make an impact at this level his career production is pedestrian.

In anycase like I said the Oilers don't play the typs of system that allows for small player success. We don't play fast and move the puck around quickly and stretch out opponent D and create open ice. Other than one line on this team we don't do much of anything.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
So either he's going to have one of the highest shooting percentage seasons in the history of the NHL or ... he was going to cool off at some point.

His shooting % is double Kucherov, who's leading the league in points, lol.

Wayne Gretzky's highest career S% was the 83-84 season where he topped 200 points with a 26.4% shooting percentage so right now Chiasson is absolutely demolishing that.
His shooting % probably will drop but you are using that as an argument that he wouldn’t be a big loss for another team. Fact is he’s on pace for over 30+ goals and that would be a big loss for any NHL team. Regardless if he can keep his shooting percentage up or not.
I specifically had responded to your multiple comments that seemed condescending towards McCup. I'm not convinced desperation attempts are the thing to do. Again the Oilers just waived Zykov the same day. They didn't even try him for any length of time in topsix. They barely let him on the ice. For some reason that flies in the face of the try anything logic. But damned straight I would rather see a 200lb Zykov on Drai's line that has a one timer and decent shot than a 153lb Yamamoto that has never been noted for any particularly amazing shot.
You would rather a player a player who can’t skate?

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
I didn't state the Oilers went off the form chart on the pick. I stated that Central scouting would have been influenced by Gaudreau success. Indeed almost every draft synopsis of Yamamoto focuses on the success of Gaudreau and the other Spokane player, Tyler Johnson. They are indelibly tied, but I see very little similar in the players.

Ripping up the WHL? He was 6th in pts production. 31pts behind the leading scorer. Considering his size, and how good the smallest player ever in the NHL would need to be to make an impact at this level his career production is pedestrian.

In anycase like I said the Oilers don't play the typs of system that allows for small player success. We don't play fast and move the puck around quickly and stretch out opponent D and create open ice. Other than one line on this team we don't do much of anything.

I dont know why you keep stating Central scouting.

Like I said, every scouting service had Yammo as a first rounder.

Yes he was ripping up the WHL, 6th in production while being the youngest in doing it, is ripping it up.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
Central Scouting was not factoring in Gaudreau when they ranked Yamamoto. If Yama was a few inches taller he probably would have gone 1st overall to NJ.

Don't understand the people bashing him here. Pierre Olivier Joseph was drafted right after him.. I don't think the fans of the team that drafted him are *****ing over him.

I already linked an article that states matter of factly that the only reason Yamamoto is a top round draft in 2017 is the previous success of Gaudreau, Johnson, even Kailer is saying that.

Oilers pick Kailer Yamamoto shortest NHL first-rounder in history

But Kailor is also saying back then that he needs to get to an appropriate playing weight and in the area of 160-170lbs. He's not there. Unless this guy suddenly develops explosive skating and edges this is a lost pick.

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
His shooting % probably will drop but you are using that as an argument that he wouldn’t be a big loss for another team. Fact is he’s on pace for over 30+ goals and that would be a big loss for any NHL team. Regardless if he can keep his shooting percentage up or not.

You would rather a player a player who can’t skate?

I honestly have no idea what you mean in this. Please reword it in a way that makes sense.

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting

Yes he was ripping up the WHL, 6th in production while being the youngest in doing it, is ripping it up.

it doesn't matter what scouting source it is. I never said that the Oilers went off the map in picking Yama. Just that I certainly wouldn't pick the smallest player ever drafted using a first round pick. If some other club wanted to go out on that extreme a limb I would let them. All I stated was that Gaudreau and Johnson success of course paved the way for this pick. Those players influenced this being a first round selection. Without which it wouldn't be.

But the Flames spend a much later pick to get Gaudreau, Tampa uses later picks to get Johnson and Brayden Point, and we spend a top pick getting Yamamoto. just because..

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
Sorry gets a little weird on the phone. You would rather a player who can’t skate? Zykov is slower than lucic.

I think one person stated Zykov is slow and everybody just started repeating that. I didn't see slow, I saw a guy that was very comfortable with the puck and could transition up ice with it and control the puck in traffic. In even 30mins I saw Zykov do that. I've rarely seen Yama do that in reg season here.

What I've seen lots of from Yama is him skating right into traffic and being a non entity. Being very uncomfortable with the puck the very few moments he has it.

Look, I get this is a pint sized little guy that can maybe cloak into open spaces once in awhile but he's showing very little of that yet.

For all the talk that he's that brave, fearless, unintimidated I haven't seen any of that in regular season. He plays like a little tiger in preseason and disappears the moment opponents in the NHL show up for reg season play.

I hope its different now. Hope is all we got..

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Places a better forward on waivers (Zykov) and recalls a kid who is best served playing the full season in the AHL (Yamamoto). The incompetence of this organziation astounds me.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
it doesn't matter what scouting source it is. I never said that the Oilers went off the map in picking Yama. Just that I certainly wouldn't pick the smallest player ever drafted using a first round pick. If some other club wanted to go out on that extreme a limb I would let them. All I stated was that Gaudreau and Johnson success of course paved the way for this pick. Those players influenced this being a first round selection. Without which it wouldn't be.

But the Flames spend a much later pick to get Gaudreau, Tampa uses later picks to get Johnson and Brayden Point, and we spend a top pick getting Yamamoto. just because..

Does it matter what pick it is if he turns out as good as Gaudreau or Point?

There is a ton of teams that wish they would of took booth them players with their 1st rounders.

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting

95pts is "ripping up the WHL" now? lol

Only if its an Oilers first round pick I guess.

Now Ty Rattie, he ripped up the NHL. A lot of good its done him and he was miles better than Yama in the WHL.

Further, the only ingredient Kailor brings is production, and its not elite production, and there is nothing else, at all, that the smallest draft pick in the history of the NHl brings. Its not like theres any intangibles here with this package. When he's not producing the club is shorthanded any time he's on the ice.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
Does it matter what pick it is if he turns out as good as Gaudreau or Point?

There is a ton of teams that wish they would of took booth them players with their 1st rounders.

My whole point is that those are great players and Yama isn't even remotely similar, in skill and skating ability, or tenacity, to them. Point is also considered an elite 200ft player. I don't see anybody ever making that comment in relation to Yamamoto

Maybe if Kailor does immense work on his skating and edges which doesn't appear to be the case, or gets to the weight class even he states he needs to get to I might feel we have something here. I've not seen Kailor look like anything in any Regular season game. But lets try him again only a month or so later...maybe he's a different midget now..

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
My whole point is that those are great players and Yama isn't even remotely similar, in skill and skating ability, to them.

Maybe if Kailor does immense work on his skating and edges which doesn't appear to be the case, or gets to the weight class even he states he needs to get to I might feel we have something here. I've not seen Kailor look like anything in any Regular season game. But lets try him again only a month or so later...maybe he's a different midget now..

Your whole point doesnt make sense.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
95pts is "ripping up the WHL" now? lol

Only if its an Oilers first round pick I guess.

Now Ty Rattie, he ripped up the NHL. A lot of good its done him and he was miles better than Yama in the WHL.
First, it was 99pts not 95pts his draft yr.
Secondly, Rattie had 79pts his draft yr.
Yamamoto's 99pts was a lot closer to Hall,RNH pre draft production (106pts) than Rattie.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Yamamoto stating in Articles that he needs to bulk up is hardly news if you look at him. What else should he say? O I am perfect and don't need to improve on anything

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Except Zykov isn't a better forward?

Pretty much any forward is more effective than Yamamoto at the NHL level. He was completely ineffective in his cup of coffee with the big club. I really liked Zykov in his first game here and dont think he was given much of a chance ala Aberg. Another stupid move by the organization in my opinion

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
Your whole point doesnt make sense.

I guess if one can't fathom that comparisons to Gaudreau, Johnson hold no real value. All Yamamoto has in common with even Johnson is being from the Spokane Chiefs and being a runt dwarfed by even Tyler Johnson.

The thing is it doesn't make sense for any NHL team to spend a top pick on a smallest ever player that is not even showcasing elite talent. Despite what scouting has to say that's so far off on a branch its insane.

Perhaps one has to understand statistical probability to note that spending a top pick on the smallest picked player ever is probably not a sound or rational idea. Its beyond outlier.

So what the Oilers got here is AHL level talent in a package of smallest ever player picked. For a first round pick.

But hey Oilers.

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
Not gonna blame Hitch for what has been the M.O. of Lowe, MacTavish and Chiarellli for more than an decade.

Need a player, go ahead and throw in a kid in over his head, then blame him when it doesn’t work out.

Will really be nice when we have competent management again.

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
Yamamoto stating in Articles that he needs to bulk up is hardly news if you look at him. What else should he say? O I am perfect and don't need to improve on anything

Well I guess words are cheap and two years later he hasn't done it. he's 5lbs heavier, now age 20. He's 153lbs and still the lightest player in the league anytime he steps on the ice.

Improving on anything would be nice. The player looks ordinary now compared to when he was first seen with the Oilers. I think he looked far better his first season here than he's looked at all this season.

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
Pretty much any forward is more effective than Yamamoto at the NHL level. He was completely ineffective in his cup of coffee with the big club. I really liked Zykov in his first game here and dont think he was given much of a chance ala Aberg. Another stupid move by the organization in my opinion

Yeah, almost by default any of Aberg, Zykov would be better. I still think even Slepy or Pak would be better. They were at least big and strong players with push back that could hold their own in this league physically.

Reactions: McDrai

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
I think one person stated Zykov is slow and everybody just started repeating that. I didn't see slow, I saw a guy that was very comfortable with the puck and could transition up ice with it and control the puck in traffic. In even 30mins I saw Zykov do that. I've rarely seen Yama do that in reg season here.

What I've seen lots of from Yama is him skating right into traffic and being a non entity. Being very uncomfortable with the puck the very few moments he has it.

Look, I get this is a pint sized little guy that can maybe cloak into open spaces once in awhile but he's showing very little of that yet.

For all the talk that he's that brave, fearless, unintimidated I haven't seen any of that in regular season. He plays like a little tiger in preseason and disappears the moment opponents in the NHL show up for reg season play.

I hope its different now. Hope is all we got..
I said he looks slow because he looks slow. Not because someone told me so. Anyways Vegas claimed him. So that is that.

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
I said he looks slow because he looks slow. Not because someone told me so. Anyways Vegas claimed him. So that is that.

Watch Vegas, a far superior org, actually make better use of this player than the Oilers did.

Its lol funny that the Oilers in effect took Zykov off Waivers earlier this season just so now a divisional rival can add Zykov to their roster when they have the numbers to do it. Go oilers!

Hey but we got Yama so we don't need the top scorer in the AHL around.. (sarcasm)

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->