Recalled/Assigned: Yamamoto Recalled; Chiasson to IR

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
If it turns out to be a 5 game stint (as I expect it to be) then I see this as a carrot and a barometer moving forward for Yamamoto. I dont see it as a problem with continuity at all.

As @CycloneSweep has pointed out...Zykov had zero shots in 5 games. Zero.
He exemplifies a major issue with this team...he isnt a very good skater and get doesnt get pucks to the net. Zykov was not a top 6 player (or even an NHL player) in Carolina...I dont have an issue with him not being a top 6 option here either.

Zero shots, but how much did he play? Seriously, look at his ice time. Only in his first game did he play more than 10 minutes. The other games he played 07:01, 04:42, 05:58 and 06:18. That's basically 5th line minutes lol. Kinda hard to get into a groove and show anything in such incredible limited minutes. Yamamoto in his 1st game back played more minutes than Zykov did in any game while he was here (and didn't have a shot either).

Reactions: Drivesaitl

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Zero shots, but how much did he play? Seriously, look at his ice time. Only in his first game did he play more than 10 minutes. The other games he played 07:01, 04:42, 05:58 and 06:18. That's basically 5th line minutes lol. Kinda hard to get into a groove and show anything in such incredible limited minutes. Yamamoto in his 1st game back played more minutes than Zykov did in any game while he was here (and didn't have a shot either).

Zykov played 5 games and generated nothing.
He has to make the most of his playing time. He doesnt PK...isnt really a PP option and isnt a very strong skater so producing off of the rush isnt really an option. He also isnt a very heady player.
So 5x5 is critical for him and he needed to do something/anything to help him stand out and get noticed. He failed.
I am not at all worried though because he wasnt part of the answer here based on what I saw. He is a bubble player the exact type of player this team has too much of.

Yamamoto isnt a good comparison IMO for a lot of reasons not the least of which is his age and his ability to process the game which is much higher than Zykov.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Zykov played 5 games and generated nothing.
He has to make the most of his playing time. He doesnt PK...isnt really a PP option and isnt a very strong skater so producing off of the rush isnt really an option. He also isnt a very heady player.
So 5x5 is critical for him and he needed to do something/anything to help him stand out and get noticed. He failed.
I am not at all worried though because he wasnt part of the answer here based on what I saw. He is a bubble player the exact type of player this team has too much of.

Yamamoto isnt a good comparison IMO for a lot of reasons not the least of which is his age and his ability to process the game which is much higher than Zykov.

Again, while playing extremely limited minutes buried in the bottom-six. Not many players would produce in that type of situation. People have been crying about Pulju not getting ice time but even under MacLellan he was probably getting around twice the minutes that Zykov got here. Also Yamamoto for all his "ability to process the game" produced about zilch while being stapled to McDavid or Draisaitl.

Look, I'm not saying Zykov is some amazing player and I'm definitely not putting Kailer down. I just think given the situation here that it would've been a lot more logical to bump Zykov's minutes up to see what you have in him with Chiasson out than to call up Yamamoto and thrust him into this mess of a team and situation rather than have him get some continuity down in Bakersfield and learn how to play against pro's at his size.

Jojoing high-end prospects up and down like this is bad for their development. Once you've demoted a guy he should stay there barring some extreme situation or alternatively if they've clearly outgrown that league after 30-40 games or so, neither of which is true in this situation.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Again, while playing extremely limited minutes buried in the bottom-six. Not many players would produce in that type of situation. People have been crying about Pulju not getting ice time but even under MacLellan he was probably getting around twice the minutes that Zykov got here. Also Yamamoto for all his "ability to process the game" produced about zilch while being stapled to McDavid or Draisaitl.

Look, I'm not saying Zykov is some amazing player and I'm definitely not putting Kailer down. I just think given the situation here that it would've been a lot more logical to bump Zykov's minutes up to see what you have in him with Chiasson out than to call up Yamamoto and thrust him into this mess of a team and situation rather than have him get some continuity down in Bakersfield and learn how to play against pro's at his size.

Jojoing high-end prospects up and down like this is bad for their development. Once you've demoted a guy he should stay there barring some extreme situation or alternatively if they've clearly outgrown that league after 30-40 games or so, neither of which is true in this situation.
The point with Zykov, and Chiasson proved it, you don't have to produce in the bottom 6 to show you deserve more time. You have to do SOMETHING to get the coaches attention to give you more ice time. Outside of maybe one shift Zykov was a no factor, not even registering a shot, nothing. That's on him. Coaches don't just go, "well you have done absolutely nothing and haven't even tried or put in enough effort to get my attention but here, have McDavid"

Reactions: guymez

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad