WJC: Yakupov ready to keep " His Cool" against "Dirty" Canadians

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
P. Sharp, R. Nugent-Hopkins, R. Getzlaf, C. Perry, J. Skinner, E. Kane, J. Eberle just to name few good old canadian boys participating in the last WHC. All these are first liners in their respectiive NHL teams. It does not mean that without Crosby you always have your Z team.

Crosby, Stamkos, Toews and Tavares. Possible 4 centres in 2014. Sure we can be competitive with some of our players that DIDN'T make the playoffs that year. But if you are going to take that as an accurate judgement of Canada's talent then I can only shake my head at this :shakehead.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I'm not sure if it's been mentioned because I haven't read the entire thread, but it's the 1st time I thought about it so I'll ask

Why was he thinking about the game against Canada when it was 4 games away? Shouldn't he have been focused on Slovakia, or if not them the USA, who are arguably as good as Canada?

I know he was probably asked a question about it, but still that's not usually the type of response you hear, you usually hear something along the lines of we've got to focus on our next match not a match that is a week away.

Fulcrum

this thread (it's title) and what he meant and said are worlds apart.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
After the Turin Olympics I certainly remember having to read a lot of counters to the argument that the Olympics is the ultimate judge.

Funny the Olympics seem so much more important now, I wonder why that is.

Even if you can bring up any quote I made that argues against the Olympics in Turin (which I didn't) then you still don't have a good argument. And I don't think bringing up random posters that disagree with the Olympics is an effective counter (after all, isn't that what you're doing). It's not a question of nationality and if people in Canada disagree with the fact, it's about the fact itself. The fact that the Olympics are the ultimate test of best on best. Personal agendas really doesn't matter when the facts are clear.

DamonDRW

Dec 23, 2007
Tampere, Finland
Crosby, Stamkos, Toews and Tavares. Possible 4 centres in 2014. Sure we can be competitive with some of our players that DIDN'T make the playoffs that year. But if you are going to take that as an accurate judgement of Canada's talent then I can only shake my head at this :shakehead.

Those are the guys I remebered in a second (sure there was some additional talent I just do not remeber) and they are as representative of the Canada's talent pool as any of those four centers you mentioned. Anyway the point was that the team you sent to WJH last year is by no means your Z-team.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Yakupov's been really poor so far. Dissapointed in him.

I agree,

He really needs to calm down and get back to his game instead of trying to do it all himself. He actually has gotten himself into good positions to set up opportunities but keeps taking the shots himself. He should have cared less about the goalless streak in the first two games as he'll probably pot one or two against the Germans.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
His effort is there, problem is, he`s trying to do it all himself, and putting forth that effort with an ineffective approach as many have stated. Why the coaches haven`t sat his arse down a shift or two after yet another attempt to stickhandle his way through 5 opponents is beyond me, it isn`t as though the Russians are absent other exceptionally talented players.

Davebo*

Actually its called charging...

Are you referring to the Camara hit? Then you are incorrect. They can call it whatever they want to justify the ejection from the game - but that is not charging! :laugh:

Davebo*

After the Turin Olympics I certainly remember having to read a lot of counters to the argument that the Olympics is the ultimate judge.

Funny the Olympics seem so much more important now, I wonder why that is.

Good point :laugh:

Hmmm - suddenly the WJC is popular in russia. I wonder why that is??? :laugh:

Tit. For. Tat. son....

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

May 16, 2009
This is what I am talking about.

That probably gets a call (minor for roughing) if the player doesn't act like he was shot. That humiliates the refs.

I know. I ref. If you are going to try and make me look bad by embellishing, I am not helping you at all today.

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
He really needs to calm down and get back to his game instead of trying to do it all himself. He actually has gotten himself into good positions to set up opportunities but keeps taking the shots himself. He should have cared less about the goalless streak in the first two games as he'll probably pot one or two against the Germans.

He must have heard your pleas :)

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

May 16, 2009
Sure that's a dirty play and worthy of a penalty on Connolly, but aren't you embarrassed by how the Russian player acted like he was shot? That's just embarrassing.

Many would say no because if he draws a penalty, it is worth acting like that.

Sad but true. Me, I would rather take home a silver than act like that.

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
Just sayin' I'd rather play against a guy who was physically nasty than a guy who takes the net off it's moorings for the last two minutes of a game.

Different standards and beliefs of what is weasel play is I guess.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

May 16, 2009
Diving is a far lighter crime than injuring somebody.

If you step on the ice, you accept that you may be injured by a clean hit. This is as much a part of the game as the puck to a Canadian player.

No player accepts that he may lose because of cheating. It goes against everything a Canadian player is taught from birth. That is why you see the outrage about it here.

You may choose to disagree with it, and that is your right. But just so you know, that is how we are taught to look at this game, culturally speaking. Some people in Canada have different opinions, but this is the predominant viewpoint with our culture, and explains the anger you see when dives take place...even when our own players do it.

I also understand the viewpoint that diving and faking injury is acceptable if it produces a victory, and I understand those that feel this way have the right to do so. I disagree, but I "get it".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad