WJC: Yakupov ready to keep " His Cool" against "Dirty" Canadians

Status
Not open for further replies.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
If you step on the ice, you accept that you may be injured by a clean hit. This is as much a part of the game as the puck to a Canadian player.

No player accepts that he may lose because of cheating. It goes against everything a Canadian player is taught from birth. That is why you see the outrage about it here.

You may choose to disagree with it, and that is your right. But just so you know, that is how we are taught to look at this game, culturally speaking. Some people in Canada have different opinions, but this is the predominant viewpoint with our culture, and explains the anger you see when dives take place...even when our own players do it.

I also understand the viewpoint that diving and faking injury is acceptable if it produces a victory, and I understand those that feel this way have the right to do so. I disagree, but I "get it".

I don't see a difference between diving to win a game, and taking PED's to win a game. Both are methods of cheating and are disgraceful acts.

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
Diving is a far lighter crime than injuring somebody.

I guess that's why I find professional soccer such a joke. I think the game is fantastic but I just can't get past the diving, faking and rolling around on the grass like you've been pole axed. It's disgusting.

BobDobolina

Jan 11, 2010
NYC
If you step on the ice, you accept that you may be injured by a clean hit. This is as much a part of the game as the puck to a Canadian player.

No player accepts that he may lose because of cheating. It goes against everything a Canadian player is taught from birth. That is why you see the outrage about it here.

You may choose to disagree with it, and that is your right. But just so you know, that is how we are taught to look at this game, culturally speaking. Some people in Canada have different opinions, but this is the predominant viewpoint with our culture, and explains the anger you see when dives take place...even when our own players do it.

I also understand the viewpoint that diving and faking injury is acceptable if it produces a victory, and I understand those that feel this way have the right to do so. I disagree, but I "get it".

Just curious, if you feel so strongly about the issue then why do you have one of the worst divers and fakers in the game in your avatar?

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

May 16, 2009
Do you see a difference between a hook and PED's?

I agreed, so I would like to answer.

While I know a hook is an illegal act on the ice, there are certain acts that are understandably "a part of the game" that take place in the heat of the moment, and some that are not. Some acts strike at the core of what should be considered the finest aspects of the game, and that is honour amongst men (or women).

Just like not all crimes are viewed with the same amount of disrespect (please don't make me name them), one cannot cover all illegal acts on the ice or off the ice with the same blanket, either. Some are more despicable than others.

Hopefully, a reasonable person can see the difference.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

May 16, 2009
I guess that's why I find professional soccer such a joke. I think the game is fantastic but I just can't get past the diving, faking and rolling around on the grass like you've been pole axed. It's disgusting.

Precisely the reason I stopped watching the last World Cup. I was actually starting to get into the sport a bit, and then the diving and rolling around started. The worst thing is, the officials almost always fell for it. I turned the channel and watched sport fishing or something. :laugh:

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com

I don't like that part of soc... I meant "futbol," either. But it's much better than giving an injury to a fellow player.

Basically, these are two extremes and both mar these two sports. However, I still view diving as a lighter crime, simply because you are not hurting a fellow athlete. Besides, I haven't heard of anybody in soccer or hockey bragging about their diving, but many Canadian players and fans are happy when they injure opposing players, saying "it's his own fault, should have kept his head up" or, in case of the Clarke-Kharlamov disgrace, "he did what he had to do for his team to win."

Comprende? :sarcasm:

KidLine93

May 15, 2012
P. Sharp, R. Nugent-Hopkins, R. Getzlaf, C. Perry, J. Skinner, E. Kane, J. Eberle just to name few good old canadian boys participating in the last WHC. All these are first liners in their respectiive NHL teams. It does not mean that without Crosby you always have your Z team.

Without crosby, giroux, stamkos and toews we do. There goes our top 4 centre's....

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

May 16, 2009
I don't like that part of soc... I meant "futbol," either. But it's much better than giving an injury to a fellow player.

Basically, these are two extremes and both mar these two sports. However, I still view diving as a lighter crime, simply because you are not hurting a fellow athlete. Besides, I haven't heard of anybody in soccer or hockey bragging about their diving, but many Canadian players and fans are happy when they injure opposing players, saying "it's his own fault, should have kept his head up" or, in case of the Clarke-Kharlamov disgrace, "he did what he had to do for his team to win."

I just want to say, I am never happy when a player on the other team gets hurt. And, I would never condone a dirty hit to take out another player.

But if my guy hits your guy clean and your guy gets carried off the ice, I am not going to cry about it either, as it is the nature of the sport.

Do you watch football?

When your team sacks the other team's QB, are you saddened or disappointed? I ask this in all seriousness. What is the difference in hockey?

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

The difference is that you can injure an opposing player legally.

Injury is the outcome, not the action.

You can never dive legally.

All nations are dirty sometimes. I don't see the big deal.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I agreed, so I would like to answer.

While I know a hook is an illegal act on the ice, there are certain acts that are understandably "a part of the game" that take place in the heat of the moment, and some that are not. Some acts strike at the core of what should be considered the finest aspects of the game, and that is honour amongst men (or women).

Just like not all crimes are viewed with the same amount of disrespect (please don't make me name them), one cannot cover all illegal acts on the ice or off the ice with the same blanket, either. Some are more despicable than others.

Hopefully, a reasonable person can see the difference.

Some players hook, some run interference and some dive. All to gain a competitive advantage. Obstruction such as hooking and interference strike at the core of what should be considered one of the greatest aspects of the game, and that is the flow of the game.

I don't see a difference between interference or hooking and PED's

*these are not my views. I believe it's pretty irrational. Just like saying there is no difference in diving to win and taking PED's to win is irrational.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

May 16, 2009
Some players hook, some run interference and some dive. All to gain a competitive advantage. Obstruction such as hooking and interference strike at the core of what should be considered one of the greatest aspects of the game, and that is the flow of the game.

I don't see a difference between interference or hooking and PED's

*these are not my views. I believe it's pretty irrational. Just like saying there is no difference in diving to win and taking PED's to win is irrational.

You and I see the game differently. I see the honor of the sport as the greatest aspect of the game. This will skew our opinions one way or the other, I guess.

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
You and I see the game differently. I see the honor of the sport as the greatest aspect of the game. This will skew our opinions one way or the other, I guess.

And I see no honor whatsoever in intimidating the opposition by scare tactics and taking them out. People who can barely skate and can only hit have a distinct advantage over "soft and skilled" players then. Not the kind of hockey I would call honorable or even watchable.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

May 16, 2009
And I see no honor whatsoever in intimidating the opposition by scare tactics and taking them out. People who can barely skate and can only hit have a distinct advantage over "soft and skilled" players then. Not the kind of hockey I would call honorable or even watchable.

Do you watch football?

wreckless

Apr 27, 2010
vancouver

lol at players on any world junior team being 'barely able to skate'.

hockey imo is a sport that requires SO MUCH in order to be good, and it makes me sick to the point of vomiting when i hear couch potatoes make claims like this.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

May 16, 2009
lol at players on any world junior team being 'barely able to skate'.

hockey imo is a sport that requires SO MUCH in order to be good, and it makes me sick to the point of vomiting when i hear couch potatoes make claims like this.

This is the excuse non-Canadian fans use when our teams are crushing their teams in every aspect of the game. It's because we are villains and can't skate.

Sure. Those seven goals we scored were a result of dirty hits.:laugh:

Samzilla

Prust & Dorsett are
Apr 2, 2011
I don't see a difference between diving to win a game, and taking PED's to win a game. Both are methods of cheating and are disgraceful acts.

Your world view is an interesting one, and very black and white.

Last edited:

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010

Nothing wrong with legal man on man hits even if a player is injured. I for one certainly don't wish another player hurt nor would I ever cheer or brag about injuring another player illegally. I personally don't know any other Canadians that feel that way either.

The first rule you're taught in hockey is keep your head or you will get hurt. Lipon crossed the line, no doubt about it but a hit you will see in just about any hockey game. He was tossed for the game plus one more. A lighter sentence than he would have received in the O.

Comprende?

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010

Of course you intimidate the opposition. If I have a chance to cream you I'm going to do it. Next time you won't be so willing to handle the puck. To the best of my ability I will do it within the rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad