News Article: Yakupov on Roy "I was scared of him"

Status
Not open for further replies.

oilz89*

I think Lander did enough the second half of last year to be given a spot on the team this year but I would not be surprised if Lander starts on the 4th line and Letestu starts on the 3rd line. Lander has a history of poor training camps/preseasons.

Either way, both are interchangeable throughout the lineup. That's a convenience I think we haven't had in a while

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Think I'd rather give Lander an opportunity then give the spot right over to Roy...

Not saying this either. But to not even have more than one fully established NHL vet at TC is off the charts. Few teams intending to be competitive would do that.

Basically we are pencilling in 3 Centers with limited NHL experience still learning their NHL Center job.

The amount that this org is banking on Letestu is quite incredible for this upcoming season.

oilz89*

Not saying this either. But to not even have more than one fully established NHL vet at TC is off the charts. Few teams intending to be competitive would do that.

Basically we are pencilling in 3 Centers with limited NHL experience still learning their NHL Center job.

The amount that this org is banking on Letestu is quite incredible for this upcoming season.

Roy has no size my friend and his only asset is scoring. He has no defense or good faceoff skills, which Lander has. And lets not forget Letestu either. If there is one player that can help Lander if he starts to trail of on his play, its Mark. Mclellan said he wants to get the team to play hard. It will take time to adjust. Nevertheless, we don't need Roy anymore. He was good with us, but he really isn't needed anymore

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Roy played a valuable role in injecting some joy back into Yak's game again and teaching him about how to be a pro.

If you look at the garbage that Roy provided on the ice for the last 10 games or so though, you get an idea why he is having a hard time finding employment. Defensively poor and doesn't bring much at all if he isn't scoring.

Very thankful for what he brought but I suspect he'd be a real disaster over the course of a full season.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Agree with theist few posts

Roy simply isn't good enough offensively top be in a decent team's top-6, but doesn't bring anything else to the table to warrant playing on the 3rd line (not big, not good on face offs, not good defensively).
Hence why he was a 'nothing' player in Nashville.
He looked good for us for the same reasons Arcobello looked good for Arizona.

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010
Oh well, there we go. Your points don't interest me. Carry on, I won't respond further to you, I've made my positions quite clear.

Fair enough.
Last thought though...
I feel Roy is a one dimensional player who's best days are long gone and hasn't put up legitimate top 6 in numbers in a while. He was good with the oilers for the same length of time as Lander. Lander's a better option.
You feel we lack experience at center and Roy is the answer because he had chemistry with Yakupov.
We disagree.
You came at me with"twilight zone stuff", "don't even bother replying ", "I actually watch the games", "illogical or pointless ", "contempt", "obvious waste of my time".
Then you try to pass it off like your playing the veteran who's tough love makes newer posters better.
Your responses seemed condescending and a little arrogant.
We're all just hockey nerds talking hockey.
Respond or don't. You'll read it. I'm done too.

Last edited:

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Its how you formulated your posts and arguments that led to my response. I encourage posters to bring their best positions just like posters did with me when I started on the board years ago.

People expect some substantiation of position here and not just declarative statements. At least I do. That can sound negative, but the intent is to build better hockey posters and better posting here. It usually works, its having an effect right now because you're trying harder.

Haha... This is rich. I've read a good chunk, perhaps not all, of this exchange and this old dog thinks you are just being stubborn.

But then... I suppose that's why we love you Replacement. Keep barking at these young pups with "unsubstantiated" opinions ;)

PS: I have all the time in the world for a player like Roy, but he is declining and... If (it is an if), Lander plays as he did last year, he's likely a better fit as a solid defensive player that provides a contrast to Drai, who would be our "need offense" night center at 3C.

It is too bad that we don't also still have Gordon, as having McD, Nuge, Lander, Gordon and Letestu (with spill ins from Hendricks and Drai) would give us a lot of options.

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010
Haha... This is rich. I've read a good chunk, perhaps not all, of this exchange and this old dog thinks you are just being stubborn.

But then... I suppose that's why we love you Replacement. Keep barking at these young pups with "unsubstantiated" opinions ;)

PS: I have all the time in the world for a player like Roy, but he is declining and... If (it is an if), Lander plays as he did last year, he's likely a better fit as a solid defensive player that provides a contrast to Drai, who would be our "need offense" night center at 3C.

It is too bad that we don't also still have Gordon, as having McD, Nuge, Lander, Gordon and Letestu (with spill ins from Hendricks and Drai) would give us a lot of options.

Keeping Gordon and still signing Letestu, I could get behind. He has a skill set more unique to the oilers. Face offs, pk, tough opposition. Definitely more options.
I didn't really understand that trade. I don't know much about Korpikoski though.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

Nah, some posters look at a premise as stated and some ignore much of what's been stated. I've represented my assertion that the Oilers are yet again going into a season with a crisis of lack of experience at key positions. In this sidebar we've been focusing on Center. So even if Roy or Gordon are not the answers (and I think they would be fine) it still leaves us with a need for vet presence at the position.

Take a look at Connor McDavid lately. Guy is sweating and nervous just in media scrimmage. Ever think we're putting a little too much pressure on these kids?

Its same old same old and we've been doing it for years. I get that he's Connor Mcdavid but he's a kid, only human, and Having ZERO vet D's that have been here to tell him what its like here on this team has got to be majorly disconcerting. Really the guys trying to give him direction so far haven't figured out their own NHL roles yet. Speaking of a crisis of inexperience.

This is another impending gongshow with a different look. Team is plenty talented and can embarrass some opponents that give them a lot of free ice and lay off the body but why would opponents do that very often.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Keeping Gordon and still signing Letestu, I could get behind. He has a skill set more unique to the oilers. Face offs, pk, tough opposition. Definitely more options.
I didn't really understand that trade. I don't know much about Korpikoski though.

ftr, because you're maybe not aware I'm much more of a fan of Gordon than Roy. I appreciate the role Gordon played here. immensely. Most people on the board know my take on Gordon.

But for the Oilers to keep neither of these guys is interesting. Meaning that McDavid has either Nuge, Drai, or Lander to go to here to ask what its like on this team, whats to be expected, in and outs etc. Of course he's not going to be getting that from Letestu initially who will be learning himself what he's getting into.

For a team to leave this bare bones arrangement at Center for the best draft in the world to fall into is typical Oilers. Gordon especially would have been a steady back up AND been a good mentor and source of information for McDavid that would help him round his game out. But that's gone.

I kind of feel sorry for Connor McDavid. This is not a solid lineup or situation he's landing in here and we know the impact this has already had on our other kids. Soft landing? No way, look at the schedule. Got a bad feeling about this.

oilz89*

Nah, some posters look at a premise as stated and some ignore much of what's been stated. I've represented my assertion that the Oilers are yet again going into a season with a crisis of lack of experience at key positions. In this sidebar we've been focusing on Center. So even if Roy or Gordon are not the answers (and I think they would be fine) it still leaves us with a need for vet presence at the position.Take a look at Connor McDavid lately. Guy is sweating and nervous just in media scrimmage. Ever think we're putting a little too much pressure on these kids?

This is another impending gongshow with a different look. Team is plenty talented and can embarrass some opponents that give them a lot of free ice and lay off the body but why would opponents do that very often.

Guy is nervous in the media.... he's an 18 year old kid of course he's going to be nervous! Plus he's been trained to handle media ever since he was probably 14 year olds. What do you want him to be? A cocky person saying stuff that's going to happen before the season even begins? You know who was like that? Dallas Eakins :help:
Its same old same old and we've been doing it for years. I get that he's Connor Mcdavid but he's a kid, only human, and Having ZERO vet D's that have been here to tell him what its like here on this team has got to be majorly disconcerting. Really the guys trying to give him direction so far haven't figured out their own NHL roles yet. Speaking of a crisis of inexperience.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Replacement just stop the. "This team had a crisis lack of experience at center".

Letetsu is a vet.
RNH is no longer a rookie and experienced.
Lander has played a lot of pro games and had a break out season last year.

What do you want us to do get 2 vet centers and push RNH and McDavid down cause "experience".

Vets for the sake of vets doesn't help a team. There are no quality vets that would help us that were available in ufa or ones available in trade that wouldn't be costly to trade for.

What we do instead is have good players on the wing to assist them, which we have. Having 3 vet 4th line centers would not make this team better and that's what having Gordon, Roy and Letetsu would do.

I get you are mad that Gordon is gone and that Roy I'd gone but you ignore the fact that Letetsu is a vet, Nuge is not a rookie and has a lot of experience right now and Lander has a lot of pro experience.

Asking Gordon what he is getting into would be "I have no idea, I play defense".

RNH is the perfect guy for McDavid to lean kn as he went thru almost the exact same thing with less expectations. None of those vet guys know what it's like. They know how to play center but they don't know how to be a young star as they never were.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Replacement just stop the. "This team had a crisis lack of experience at center".

Letetsu is a vet.
Letestu is brand new here and not established. Pretty much as a rule, unless you're someone like Chris Pronger, when you come to a new team you're feeling out your own way. You don't have the leadership at that point, in that new dressing room to be providing leadership to a rookie kid. What Roy did here with Yak was very atypical, ballsy, even and he took on a key leadership role immediately. Most incoming players don't do that, especially right out of training camp.

RNH is no longer a rookie and experienced.
Still doesn't hold his own, needs help, could use sheltering, and still quite young. Again I've made the argument that Nuge has been poorly coached at the NHL level in general and compounded by having several different coaches. This is not a fully developed vet centers by any means.
Lander has played a lot of pro games and had a break out season last year.
Very little NHL experience. Still hasn't found his form outside of Nelson. That was the only coach we've had that had faith in him. The kid needs a lot of help and reassurance. Will he get that? Break out season? He didn't play here close to half the season. Its limited sample. Any Sample of Lander before that was "OMG, why did we draft this guy. Suddenly a good 10-15 games in 40 games played and he's can't miss. Break out year. serious you guys have forgot what one looks like.
What do you want us to do get 2 vet centers and push RNH and McDavid down cause "experience".
You need that balance to grow the kids into the game. No team tries to go with 3 top centers with a combined 5 yrs nhl experience. (due to lockout/injuries its even less than that here)
Vets for the sake of vets doesn't help a team. There are no quality vets that would help us that were available in ufa or ones available in trade that wouldn't be costly to trade for.
The positions they find themselves in here Drai and Lander are probably not going to add to a whole lot here. That writing is on the wall. Topsix is spoken for if either retain their positions they are on the outside looking in indefinitely. May as well be vets in those positions who would be more accomplished and experienced in their NHL roles. You know, like Gordon, one of the very few Oilers that wasn't getting owned last years.

The strangest think is that the Connor McDavid pick should have resulted in the team feeling that they needed to trade Lander, Drai, or both because they were obviously expendable here and trade them while their still of some value. Instead we trade an accomplished Vet Center, let another one walk, and retain Drai and Lander for bottom line work for which they are poorly suited. Which is going to diminish any trade value period and two years time neither of these guys will be here. If you been around this team long enough you know how it goes here. No planning. No sense.

"nuge is the perfect guy to lean on" You're kidding me. nuge doesn't know 25cents about what it takes to win at this level, doesn't even hold his own on shifts, when recently seen was still not strong enough to compete, and the net result of having him play so high up on this team for years has been year after year of resounding poor team performances.

Theres a common wisdom that a team will go as far as your top two centers can take you. But McDavid is a very lean rookie, Nuge is a lean young Center, and neither, at present, are anywhere close to being of size, experience, stature, to compete with top Centers in the tough WC.

Sometimes its going to be funny, sometimes its going to be flat out sad.

Last edited:

McDeathbyCheerios*

God you are so bitter and jaded that arguing with you is exhausting.

For one McLellan often plays centers on the wing so Draisaitl probably converts to wing and that would very nicely round out our top 6.

For two you keep saying the team always does this, always does that... its a new damn management group and coaching group, it's not the same. They didn't retain your favorite two vets because they rather of had Letetsu in one case and in Roy he can literally knly play second line center very below average or be in the press box.

Getting these vet centers you would want would be costly and hurt us long term.

I'm done discussing this with you cause it always basically goes down the "I'm always right and this org is a disaster and I'll say I told you so cause I know it all and ignore any evidence that says otherwise route". I usually like discussions with you but this one is honestly painful.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
God you are so bitter and jaded that arguing with you is exhausting.

For one McLellan often plays centers on the wing so Draisaitl probably converts to wing and that would very nicely round out our top 6.

For two you keep saying the team always does this, always does that... its a new damn management group and coaching group, it's not the same. They didn't retain your favorite two vets because they rather of had Letetsu in one case and in Roy he can literally knly play second line center very below average or be in the press box.

Getting these vet centers you would want would be costly and hurt us long term.

I'm done discussing this with you cause it always basically goes down the "I'm always right and this org is a disaster and I'll say I told you so cause I know it all and ignore any evidence that says otherwise route". I usually like discussions with you but this one is honestly painful.

Drai hasn't even looked like an NHL player yet, at any point in his rookie season. in a lineup where he was given every opportunity. Suddenly we think theres a key role for him. He's not even ready for NHL play. At no point last year did it look like he was.

This discussion is painful, granted, because I see the trainwreck ahead and I'm describing exactly why it occurs. You think this is me thinking I'm right? This is just 50 yrs of knowledge of what works at the NHL level and doesn't What doesn't work is throwing 3 centers to the NHL WC wolves and saying have fun out there. It'll stop being fun by about game 20. Not a bold prediction I realize.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Drai hasn't even looked like an NHL player yet, at any point in his rookie season. in a lineup where he was given every opportunity. Suddenly we think theres a key role for him. He's not even ready for NHL play. At no point last year did it look like he was.

Can't judge last year by this year. I agree with you for last year. Not so sure yet about this year.

McDeathbyCheerios*

That was all under Eakins and if you acutely watched him he looked fine. Just played with 3rd liners and guys who could literally not score to save their lives.

His advanced stats actually showed he was good just the points weren't there.

McDeathbyCheerios*

This discussion is painful, granted, because I see the trainwreck ahead and I'm describing exactly why it occurs. You think this is me thinking I'm right? This is just 50 yrs of knowledge of what works at the NHL level and doesn't What doesn't work is throwing 3 centers to the NHL WC wolves and saying have fun out there. It'll stop being fun by about game 20. Not a bold prediction I realize.
We will have a positive record by game 20. I bet you my avatar.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Define what you mean by positive record. You betting we have more than 20 pts in the first 20 GP?

I'll take that in a heartbeat.

A bet I'll be happy to lose.

ps You don't have an avatar. ;)
I know I don't have an avatar, that's how big this is.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
That was all under Eakins and if you acutely watched him he looked fine. Just played with 3rd liners and guys who could literally not score to save their lives.

His advanced stats actually showed he was good just the points weren't there.

I Iso'd on Drai lots. Heres what you heard me say in many pgt's

"The game just isn't slowing down for Drai. Hearing footsteps lots, freezing along the boards, hesitant to move puck, giving up puck." Drai was slow tentative, and overthinking things last season. Wasn't physical, wasn't making plays, wasn't producing. looked like a lot of struggles out there. Looked like he shouldn't be in the NHL yet which was realized eventually.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
So our top two centres are out of their weight class but Derek Roy iis not?

He is ae depth player w claimed off awaivers t if we need him or another tweener stopgap we can fish through waivers or drop a late pick in november.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Its how you formulated your posts and arguments that led to my response. I encourage posters to bring their best positions just like posters did with me when I started on the board years ago.

People expect some substantiation of position here and not just declarative statements. At least I do. That can sound negative, but the intent is to build better hockey posters and better posting here. It usually works, its having an effect right now because you're trying harder.

Is this familiar Replacement? :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad