News Article: Yakupov on Roy "I was scared of him"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
No it only happens to borderline NHL players. If you suggest Lander is just that right now, well your going to have to admit the same for Roy.

jebus every season theres a long list of very competent players that are free agents. look it up

Just out of absolute random, and I picked any year heres one;

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=677016

The season hasn't even started yet and you're using Roy not signed as proof that he's some kind of garbage.

It doesn't happen to just borderline players.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
jebus every season theres a long list of very competent players that are free agents. look it up

The season hasn't even started yet and you're using Roy not signed as proof that he's some kind of garbage.

Im arguing that Lander is as good as Roy right now. Small sample size or not its the truth.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

I don't think Roy is garbage and I'd bring him back, but honestly he's a borderline player. He clicked here last year in what seemed like a perfect fit for him, but before that he wasn't that good in NSH and was a guy that signed after most guys in free agency. I'd be shocked if Roy is in the NHL after this year, as of now it's looking like this year he might not get a job.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Definitely Yakupov out of the gate but Lander has improved his game trying to get better and never complained. Yak has worked hard but hasn't changed much, sulked a little and blamed the coach.
Yakupov should be better, of course, but that doesn't change the double standard.
Lander did look better out from under Eakins and his AHL point production did point to an NHL capable center.
At this point 30 NHL teams seem to think Roy is questionable as an NHL player, while Lander is penciled in.

Lander played one game under Eakins last season. He wasn't called up until December 21, 2014.

Lander played the entire season basically with Nelson as coach. This was a significant advantage for him that people for some reason don't consider. Coach believed in him, he believed in coach. But that coach is gone. Any advantage from that is gone.

lol Lander "pencilled in" on one of the chronic worst clubs in the league that got this way because it can't recognize useful players and birds in hand from remote prospects and progjects.

Using the Oilers decision making prowess as some sort of evidence has limited credibility.

I actually watch the games. Roy played well here and was a good player. He's played well elsewhere and been a good player. Nothing wrong with him either. You don't spend a decade with an NHL club having something wrong with you or being a questionable NHL player.

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010
???

Roy is an established NHL producer that has put up PPG seasons and as many as 81pts. he's not an unknown, at all.

Because it hasn't occurred here for a longer period than he was here I'm supposed to question his success even though he was successful here?

Man this is twilight zone stuff. good day. Don't even bother replying.

I'll reply if I want, thank you very much.
How many years ago was that 81 point season exactly?
I didn't say he was unproven, I said his sample size of success with the oilers was the same as Lander's.
I think he is proven. He's proven to be a small, one dimensional and fairly ineffective forward for the past few years.
Is that twilight zone stuff?

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Im arguing that Lander is as good as Roy right now. Small sample size or not its the truth.

Lander is an unknown. A Euro with a very brief period of success here that was predicated on the benefit of having his AHL coach come up with him to the NHL ranks in perfect timing for him.

Theres past NHL examples of this phenomenon. Its not known if the Lander brief success here is sustained with any other coach here.

One of Landers chief problems playing at this level is confidence. Things start to slide at all in camp, or preseason, and he might not even make the club.

I like Lander, like what he brings, but I'm under no illusion that he's a given career NHLer at this point.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I'll reply if I want, thank you very much.
How many years ago was that 81 point season exactly?
I didn't say he was unproven, I said his sample size of success with the oilers was the same as Lander's.
I think he is proven. He's proven to be a small, one dimensional and fairly ineffective forward for the past few years.
Is that twilight zone stuff?

if you don't realize how illogical or pointless that statement is I can't help you. I'm not here to speak and respond to illogic. Make better arguments, points, and I won't hold them in contempt.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Lander is an unknown. A Euro with a very brief period of success here that was predicated on the benefit of having his AHL coach come up with him to the NHL ranks in perfect timing for him.

Theres past NHL examples of this phenomenon. Its not known if the Lander brief success here is sustained with any other coach here.

One of Landers chief problems playing at this level is confidence. Things start to slide at all in camp, or preseason, and he might not even make the club.

I like Lander, like what he brings, but I'm under no illusion that he's a given career NHLer at this point.

Maybe he is, doesnt change the fact that adding Roy to this team right now really does nothing for it. Maybe Roy isnt even good enough for this team right now.

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010
Lander played one game under Eakins last season. He wasn't called up until December 21, 2014.

Lander played the entire season basically with Nelson as coach. This was a significant advantage for him that people for some reason don't consider. Coach believed in him, he believed in coach. But that coach is gone. Any advantage from that is gone.

lol Lander "pencilled in" on one of the chronic worst clubs in the league that got this way because it can't recognize useful players and birds in hand from remote prospects and progjects.

Using the Oilers decision making prowess as some sort of evidence has limited credibility.

I actually watch the games. Roy played well here and was a good player. He's played well elsewhere and been a good player. Nothing wrong with him either. You don't spend a decade with an NHL club having something wrong with you or being a questionable NHL player.

Lander's got a job. Roy doesn't. Anywhere. Bad team or not.
I didn't realize we could "watch" the games!!
That condescending statement sounds ridiculous when people use it. Like anyone here doesn't.

You don't spend 10 years in the league without losing a step either. Roy is nothing important. If we didn't get McDavid we could have used him. He brings nothing we don't already have.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Maybe he is, doesnt change the fact that adding Roy to this team right now really does nothing for it. Maybe Roy isnt even good enough for this team right now.

my whole point is Roy is more of an NHL known than Lander is. In a year when were venturing with McDavid who has never been in the NHL, with Nuge who is still learning, with Letestu who will be adapting to a brand new team, new teammates, new coach, and Drai and Lander who have not yet proved they are NHL players.

My position on this is that the Oilers are entering the season with a critical lack of experience at an integral hockey position. This development occurring in an org that has made an ongoing habit of entering seasons with critical question marks in the most salient positions in hockey.

Whether it be Roy, or some other vet NHL C, even Gordon, the Oilers would be better off with two Centers learning and 2 vets. To have 3 learning is going to be a likely adventure on a lot of nights.

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010
if you don't realize how illogical or pointless that statement is I can't help you. I'm not here to speak and respond to illogic. Make better arguments, points, and I won't hold them in contempt.

I don't care how good Roy was 7 years ago he hasn't been great recently so his recent good play with the oilers was the same length as Lander's. Seems pretty straight forward.
Hold me in contempt all you want.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Lander is young and has room to improve. Any team in the league would set aside a spot for a young player who had a break out season. There is the risk that Roy would be better today, but that's far from certain, and with Lander we have the added benefit that he could grab an important role on the team. He could still be here if and when we are a contender. If we don't give him an NHL gig now, then that development path will be closed to him.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I don't care how good Roy was 7 years ago he hasn't been great recently so his recent good play with the oilers was the same length as Lander's. Seems pretty straight forward.
Hold me in contempt all you want.

I will. Discussing this with you is such an obvious waste of my time. Just being honest with that. I haven't seen one logical comment from you in this exchange.

Roy scored 11 goals on this club just last season in limited games played, limited use, and with limited topsix and PP use. 11 goals in half a season here in this lineup wasn't bad. Especially in a club that had all kinds of trouble scoring.

Last edited:

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
my whole point is Roy is more of an NHL known than Lander is. In a year when were venturing with McDavid who has never been in the NHL, with Nuge who is still learning, with Letestu who will be adapting to a brand new team, new teammates, new coach, and Drai and Lander who have not yet proved they are NHL players.

My position on this is that the Oilers are entering the season with a critical lack of experience at an integral hockey position. This development occurring in an org that has made an ongoing habit of entering seasons with critical question marks in the most salient positions in hockey.

Whether it be Roy, or some other vet NHL C, even Gordon, the Oilers would be better off with two Centers learning and 2 vets. To have 3 learning is going to be a likely adventure on a lot of nights.

Maybe your right we shall see. Right now our center depth is deeper than last year in my opinion. We dont need Gordon or Roy in my opinion.

We wait..... ;)

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Lander is young and has room to improve. Any team in the league would set aside a spot for a young player who had a break out season. There is the risk that Roy would be better today, but that's far from certain, and with Lander we have the added benefit that he could grab an important role on the team. He could still be here if and when we are a contender. If we don't give him an NHL gig now, then that development path will be closed to him.

No NHL team intending to compete starts a season with 3 young inexperienced centers pencilled in.

Actually this NHL club has Nuge, McDavid, Lander, Drai, so 4 inexperienced Centers vying for positions, 3 of them with a critical lack of experience.

The Oilers should already have planned on converting some of these guys to win and having 2 Vet centers. Competitive clubs would tend to do that.

We absolutely lack NHL GP experience in this Center depth chart. You'll find few other clubs with this lack of NHL GP at this critical position.

Last edited:

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010

Roy is 32, small, not a great skater and has been putting up 3rd line numbers the last few years, as an offence only player.
I think you're overselling how "known " he is. His production will, likely, only drop.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Maybe your right we shall see. Right now our center depth is deeper than last year in my opinion. We dont need Gordon or Roy in my opinion.

We wait..... ;)

I could make a living being right on this nature of matter because NHL history is with me. Few NHL clubs would intend to go into a season with this abject lack of experience at an integral position. This is not guessing. It would rarely be a successful approach.

Again if you contrast our cumulative GP experience at Center its not even in the Normal Curve distribution of what NHL clubs would have on their roster.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
No NHL team intending to compete starts a season with 3 young inexperienced centers pencilled in.

Actually this NHL club has Nuge, McDavid, Lander, Drai, so 4 inexperienced Centers vying for positions, 3 of them with a critical lack of experience.

The Oilers should already have planned on converting some of these guys to win and having 2 Vet centers. Competitive clubs would tend to do that.

We absolutely lack NHL GP experience in this Center depth chart. You'll find few other clubs with this lack of NHL GP at this critical position.

RNH and Letestu are veterans.

Lander is inexperienced but he's not young. He did well enough for us to give him a shot. He had good faceoff numbers, was used a lot on special teams, and generally put up points with any linemates. Any team in the league would give him a shot if they had the spot to fill. It's no different than players like Horvat and Monahan getting their shot. There were probably old centers laying around similar to Roy back when those two got their shot.

The most I would concede here is that we might look at bringing him here if our more inexperienced centers struggle in camp and pre season. We're not at that stage however.

Last edited:

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010
I will. Discussing this with you is such an obvious waste of my time. Just being honest with that. I haven't seen one logical comment from you in this exchange.

I don't know what I've said that is illogical.
Roy is old, small and not a great skater.
He hasn't put up good numbers for a while. Though you pointed out an 81 point season 7 years ago. Logically, I guess.
His skill set is duplicated by younger, better players.
At his best he's one dimensional.
Better to give a young player who shows promise the ice time.
We don't need Roy.
Seems logical to me.
I don't agree with you. No need to be all condescending about it.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I don't know what I've said that is illogical.
Roy is old, small and not a great skater.
He hasn't put up good numbers for a while. Though you pointed out an 81 point season 7 years ago. Logically, I guess.
His skill set is duplicated by younger, better players.
At his best he's one dimensional.
Better to give a young player who shows promise the ice time.
We don't need Roy.
Seems logical to me.
I don't agree with you. No need to be all condescending about it.

Its how you formulated your posts and arguments that led to my response. I encourage posters to bring their best positions just like posters did with me when I started on the board years ago.

People expect some substantiation of position here and not just declarative statements. At least I do. That can sound negative, but the intent is to build better hockey posters and better posting here. It usually works, its having an effect right now because you're trying harder.

WE may not need Roy specifically but this camp is going to be fairly devoid of NHL center GP experience. Few teams would do that. What if a guy like Letestu got injured. Right now afairc we don't have another NHL vet center in the whole org chart.

its not necessarily better to give young guys more experience EXCEPT if these are bonafide guys that are going to play a career here for instance Nuge and McDavid. You make that commitment. But for a decade the Oilers have been slotting anybody in at C, hoping it sticks, and going back to the drawing board.

Drai and Lander, just my take, are far from NHL guarantees. If the team decides that its fine to be in development, rebuild mode for another several years then fine, but don't expect such a team to be very competitive on NHL ice. Especially in the WC.

Last edited:

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
RNH and Letestu are veterans.

Lander is inexperienced but he's not young either. He did well enough for us to give him a shot. He had good faceoff numbers, was used a lot on special teams, and generally put up points with any linemates. Any team in the league would give him a shot if they had the spot to fill. It's no different than players like Horvat and Monahan getting their shot. There were probably old centers laying around similar to Roy back when those two got their shot.

The most I would concede here is that we might look at bringing him here if our more inexperienced centers struggle in camp and pre season. We're not at that stage however.

Nuge is an extremely talented player. But he is not an NHl veteran in my book because he has not been very well coached at the NHL level and is obviously still learning different facets of his NHL Center role. This is no knock on him, more about the team having different head coaches every season. But it stll applies that he doesn't have every requisite skill down pat. Still learning.

Monahan and Horvat are both high first round picks. Lander is a mid second round pick. No comparison as prospects. Obviously teams with Monahan or Horvat as their top Center prospects will give them a shot. They do not happen to be teams that have spent the last half a dozen years collecting top draftpicks like we do and having arguably too many of them. You can only facilitate so much inexperience into an NHL roster and expect it to compete.

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010
Its how you formulated your posts and arguments that led to my response. I encourage posters to bring their best positions just like posters did with me when I started on the board years ago.

People expect some substantiation of position here and not just declarative statements. At least I do. That can sound negative, but the intend is to build better hockey posters and better posting here. It usually works, its having an effect right now because you're trying harder.

WE may not need Roy specifically but this camp is going to be fairly devoid of NHL center GP experience. Few teams would do that. What if a guy like Letestu got injured. Right now afairc we don't have another NHL vet center in the whole org chart.

its not necessarily better to give young guys more experience EXCEPT if these are bonafide guys that are going to play a career here for instance Nuge and McDavid. You make that commitment. But for a decade the Oilers have been slotting anybody in at C, hoping it sticks, and going back to the drawing board.

Drai and Lander, just my take, are far from NHL guarantees. If the team decides that its fine to be in development, rebuild mode for another several years then fine, but don't expect such a team to be very competitive on NHL ice. Especially in the WC.

Pretty high on yourself.
What did you substantiate?
Roy has more games played and he passes to Yakupov.
Experience is good but not if the player is in decline and I think Roy is.
I know you were against the Gordon trade and I can get behind that sentiment easier. Brings more value in the west, to my thinking.

Oh, and I'm not trying harder, those are the same things I said throughout.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Pretty high on yourself.
What did you substantiate?
Roy has more games played and he passes to Yakupov.
Experience is good but not if the player is in decline and I think Roy is.
I know you were against the Gordon trade and I can get behind that sentiment easier. Brings more value in the west, to my thinking.

Oh, and I'm not trying harder, those are the same things I said throughout.

Oh well, there we go. Your points don't interest me. Carry on, I won't respond further to you, I've made my positions quite clear.

KMart27

Jun 9, 2013
I think Lander did enough the second half of last year to be given a spot on the team this year but I would not be surprised if Lander starts on the 4th line and Letestu starts on the 3rd line. Lander has a history of poor training camps/preseasons.

oilz89*

Think I'd rather give Lander an opportunity then give the spot right over to Roy...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad