News Article: Yakupov on Roy "I was scared of him"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
Coaches aren't simply teachers. This is one of Eakin's big failings. You can't educate an apple into becoming an orange, your gameplan has to match your team strengths.

McLellan employs two aggressive forecheckers which fits the Oilers because we have really good individual speed. McLellan's teams are dominant PP groups with an incentive to shoot, which fits the Oilers because they've got a good PP group, but don't shoot enough.

McLellan and his assistants have had success molding young forwards and young defense, which I don't think I should need to explain why that's a good fit for the Oil.

So true. Yak will never be Toews. Give it up.

And, most importantly, Mcllelland is not a raw rookie. While there are questions and risks with any new coach (as some have pointed out), there are mores risks with a rookie (as some are loath to acknowledge).

If the Mcllelland experiment fails, we can be virtually positive that the problem lies in the group, not the coach. This is last chance Irene for this group.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Because it depends on which way you approach a problem. Tippet would be a preferred choice of mine.

Consider it this way. Baccalaureate students in a school require a teacher to help with one facet of their education, an area they are weak on. The school hires this teacher to address this deficit area. The students are already well versed in the other areas.

I must look at the world differently but that's how it plays out to me. You hire a defensive coach for a defensively challenged club so that they learn how to play defense. Theres few players in our topsix that should require appreciable learning on offence. They were all selected for their premium offensive attributes.

Maybe I'm confused. :D

Tippett would have been an awful choice for this team. I honestly think that would be a better version of Eakins all over again. Tippett likes to coach a heavily defensively structured defence with a reactionary offence. We simply don't have the personnel to play that way. McLellan was the far superior choice.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
Tippett would have been an awful choice for this team. I honestly think that would be a better version of Eakins all over again. Tippett likes to coach a heavily defensively structured defence with a reactionary offence. We simply don't have the personnel to play that way. McLellan was the far superior choice.

Agreed, Tippett would not have been a good fit here. IMO, TM was the best option available to coach this team.

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
If Derek Roy wasnt small, bad at faceoffs and bad defensively and not a great skater, Id be on board bringing him back... Anton Lander is the more ideal, alot better at faceoffs and better defensively 3C and Letestu is our best faceoff man and a way better 4C ..in fact one of the best in the league.

If Yak can figure out how to play with Nuge loike he did with Roy, he'll be alot better off and the numbers will show more then they would've with Roy.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
If Derek Roy wasnt small, bad at faceoffs and bad defensively and not a great skater, Id be on board bringing him back... Anton Lander is the more ideal, alot better at faceoffs and better defensively 3C and Letestu is our best faceoff man and a way better 4C ..in fact one of the best in the league.

If Yak can figure out how to play with Nuge loike he did with Roy, he'll be alot better off and the numbers will show more then they would've with Roy.

Trouble is that Lander is an if. Draisaitl is an if.

The bigger problem is that we will have 3 of 4 centers that are very young and with even Nuge not having found his full NHL stride or complete role yet.

we have a new guy coming in, Letestu, to bolster us at Center. So in a sense we have 3 Centers with very little experience on this club or knowing what to expect.

I belief heavily in the impacts of chaos. This Center lineup screams chaos. At least with Roys theres more of a known consistency involved. Guy has hands, can make good offensive plays. Drai and Lander can do that rarely at this level at this early point.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains

The bigger problem is that we will have 3 of 4 centers that are very young and with even Nuge not having found his full NHL stride or complete role yet.

we have a new guy coming in, Letestu, to bolster us at Center. So in a sense we have 3 Centers with very little experience on this club or knowing what to expect.

I belief heavily in the impacts of chaos. This Center lineup screams chaos. At least with Roys theres more of a known consistency involved. Guy has hands, can make good offensive plays. Drai and Lander can do that rarely at this level at this early point.

Roy is a pretty big If to at this point, remember every other team so far thinks so also. His play with the Oilers last year is pretty over rated at this point.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton

I look at it like we have 2 proven NHL centers, 1 sure fire superstar and a couple of maybes in Lander and Draisaitl. Lander looks ready but it doesn't hurt to have a veteran on a cheap contract as the 13th forward.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
I look at it like we have 2 proven NHL centers, 1 sure fire superstar and a couple of maybes in Lander and Draisaitl. Lander looks ready but it doesn't hurt to have a veteran on a cheap contract as the 13th forward.

Lander proved more than Roy last year in the half year. That makes Roy a big if to IMO.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Lander proved more than Roy last year in the half year. That makes Roy a big if to IMO.

Lander has proved it? Lander hasn't even proved he's an NHL calibre center yet. Lander is age 24 with 28NHL pts among 132 games.
Last year was the first season where he showed some offensive flair in the show. But this is a player that has looked stone cold plenty of times as well.

landers period of success in the NHL is short sample and of very small duration. That's not proved anything.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

A veteran who wasn't here last year and we don't even know whether he will bond with the team or want to be here.

We're assuming a lot that Letestu will like it here, buy right in, and just love playing here. Its not a given that this will occur. In this Center group we're sure banking on a lot of things going perfectly out there.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Lander has proved it? Lander hasn't even proved he's an NHL calibre center yet. Lander is age 24 with 28NHL pts among 132 games.
Last year was the first season where he showed some offensive flair in the show. But this is a player that has looked stone cold plenty of times as well.

landers period of success in the NHL is short sample and of very small duration. That's not proved anything.

You took my quote out of context. Lander proved more the last half a season than Roy.

So Yak gets a pass because of Eakins but Lander dont?

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010

Hands, good offensive play and absolutely nothing else.

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010

Lander's period of success with the oilers was the same size as Roy's.

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010
You took my quote out of context. Lander proved more the last half a season than Roy.

Seems like it, sometimes.
Roy fed Yak and that's it really. Yakupov better find a way to play well with others or he won't be much use.
Hard to believe anyone's pining for a player who's skill set is duplicated by several better players in the lineup.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

Landers career trajectory says nothing about being a clear NHL Center either before or after Eakins. I would say he's a longshot to get there. Even though I like the player, just being realistic. Lander is an outside pick. Yak was a best in his draft year, first pick in the world.

What player should one have more hope in? lets see..:D

McDeathbyCheerios*

Seems like it, sometimes.
Roy fed Yak and that's it really. Yakupov better find a way to play well with others or he won't be much use.
Hard to believe anyone's pining for a player who's skill set is duplicated by several better players in the lineup.
Exactly this.

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010
Roy is a pretty big If to at this point, remember every other team so far thinks so also. His play with the Oilers last year is pretty over rated at this point.

Definitely overrated, a half season of brutal hockey makes average hockey look great.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Lander's period of success with the oilers was the same size as Roy's.

???

Roy is an established NHL producer that has put up PPG seasons and as many as 81pts. he's not an unknown, at all.

Because it hasn't occurred here for a longer period than he was here I'm supposed to question his success even though he was successful here?

Man this is twilight zone stuff. good day. Don't even bother replying.

Last edited:

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Landers career trajectory says nothing about being a clear NHL Center either before or after Eakins. I would say he's a longshot to get there. Even though I like the player, just being realistic. Lander is an outside pick. Yak was a best in his draft year, first pick in the world.

Come on if Roy is such a sure fire NHL veteran, why does he not have a job right now? Serious question?

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Come on if Roy is such a sure fire NHL veteran, why does he not have a job right now? Serious question?

haven't looked into the circumstance tbh. But actually many good players in the past have short term found themselves without jobs when the team they took a chance on pulled out the rug. Theres been good players in the past that spent a season on the outside looking in. It happens. I don't see a problem in having Roy around and he's an entertaining and talented player in a pro game that is all about entertainment.

He exudes skill, consistently, and every game. He's an accomplished producer that could be a valuable supporting cast Center here that can move up when injuries require. A guy that can play on any offensive line and not for a moment look out of place.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
haven't looked into the circumstance tbh. But actually many good players in the past have short term found themselves without jobs when the team they took a chance on pulled out the rug. Theres been good players in the past that spent a season on the outside looking in. It happens. I don't see a problem in having Roy around and he's an entertaining and talented player in a pro game that is all about entertainment.

No it only happens to borderline NHL players. If you suggest Lander is just that right now, well your going to have to admit the same for Roy.

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010

Definitely Yakupov out of the gate but Lander has improved his game trying to get better and never complained. Yak has worked hard but hasn't changed much, sulked a little and blamed the coach.
Yakupov should be better, of course, but that doesn't change the double standard.
Lander did look better out from under Eakins and his AHL point production did point to an NHL capable center.
At this point 30 NHL teams seem to think Roy is questionable as an NHL player, while Lander is penciled in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad