News Article: Yakupov on Roy "I was scared of him"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
I wonder at what point this board will stop talking about Derek Roy.

He was a small, below-average defensively centerman that scored less than half a point per game on a bottom 3 team in the league.
When will we just let him go?

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada
" He gave me so much support and I was happy to be playing hockey again."

That's great stuff to hear.

A big **** you to Dallas Eakins.

ScrillaVilla

Sep 22, 2008
Edmonton

At the end of the season when Yak has 12 goals and 12 assists can we stop with the pissing all of Eakins thing? I mean honestly, they both suck.

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta

It really is.

My hatred for Eakins knows no bounds. Thank god he's gone. Hopefully Yak can rebound under a legit coach.

I do wish they would have brought back Roy. Could have used him down the middle as a vet presence.

McDavidMcCup

Jul 9, 2007
Eakins was a disaster. An absolute disaster. Coming in and changing so many things (Swarm, Dressing Room, Donuts) and then stumbling out of the gate. No one would care if he did these things if he delivered. He didn't.

The one thing that Yak seems to crave his continuity with line mates. I have heard him reference it a few times.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
At the end of the season when Yak has 12 goals and 12 assists can we stop with the pissing all of Eakins thing? I mean honestly, they both suck.

This. Eakins sucks, we all know.

But man, Yakupov, if you're getting yelled at not only by your peers [Hall and probably Fasth], but also by an outsider [Derek Roy], you really really REALLY need to smarten up your game.

Luckily he's got a thick enough skin to cope with criticism.

As much as I didn't like Eberle's weak ass play play early in the year, at least he put up points and I'll give him that.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Every single time I hear Yakupov in an article/interview, I see a kid who just wants to play hockey and seems to enjoy life. His play leaves much to be desired at this point but I am so massively rooting for him!

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton

But man, Yakupov, if you're getting yelled at not only by your peers [Hall and probably Fasth], but also by an outsider [Derek Roy], you really really REALLY need to smarten up your game.

As much as I didn't like Eberle's weak ass play play early in the year, at least he put up points and I'll give him that.

Who was there to help him develop? Sure as hell didn't have a coach, most of the players were either too young to really mentor him or have never been a very good forward. Obviously its partly his fault for not progressing but let's not act like youngsters develop all on their own, theyre a product or coaches and vets.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Eakins was a disaster. An absolute disaster. Coming in and changing so many things (Swarm, Dressing Room, Donuts) and then stumbling out of the gate. No one would care if he did these things if he delivered. He didn't.

The one thing that Yak seems to crave his continuity with line mates. I have heard him reference it a few times.

Yeah I've noticed that too. I wouldn't mind giving Roy a tryout to see what he can do. I'd move him to 3LW if he did make it though since Lander is essentially a lock for 3C.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Who was there to help him develop? Sure as hell didn't have a coach, most of the players were either too young to really mentor him or have never been a very good forward. Obviously its partly his fault for not progressing but let's not act like youngsters develop all on their own, theyre a product or coaches and vets.

Who was there to coach Hall, Eberle, and Nuge again?

Either he gets it or he doesn't. Hopefully, post-Eakins Yakupov was a sign of things to come. He's been nothing but a disappointment IMO for a 1st overall and this coming from someone who initially thought Yakupov would eventually take over 1st RW from Eberle as early as last season

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

The thing with Roy is it was CONSTRUCTIVE yelling. He wasn't just cussing him out, he was teaching in real situations. With Eakins if you didn't get it on a whiteboard, you weren't going to get it.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
The thing with Roy is it was CONSTRUCTIVE yelling. He wasn't just cussing him out, he was teaching in real situations. With Eakins if you didn't get it on a whiteboard, you weren't going to get it.

Exactly. That's what the vets are there to do. That's why it's so incredibly important to have the right guys in your team to support these young kids. Yak (or any of the other kids, but particularly Yak) never had that. Plus he didn't even know the language that well earlier on either. Having veterans who can help out and guide the kids is crucial to a rebuild. That's been the single biggest problem with the Oilers the last five years. If you dont have guys out there who is yelling at you then you're going to develop some bad habits and they're going to stick. It's not just about coaching either, the players on the ice see the game differently and can point out things a coach cannot. There's really not much wonder that Yak hasn't developed much at all since his rookie year under these circumstances.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton

Either he gets it or he doesn't. Hopefully, post-Eakins Yakupov was a sign of things to come. He's been nothing but a disappointment IMO for a 1st overall and this coming from someone who initially thought Yakupov would eventually take over 1st RW from Eberle as early as last season

Every forward except Forseberg, from Yakupov's draft class has been a disappointment. Hopefully Yak can start ahowing his potential under Mclellan.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
I'm be okay with a 1 year $2M deal for Derek Roy. I rather have him that another AHL-tweener... we are no longer a farm team so let's start filling holes with NHL players.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013

They had better coaches and even some vets that could teach them a little bit. Then there's the fact they are canadians and know the language and much easier can grasp the things that the coaches and teammates tell them. And IMO they've always been bigger talents than Yak anyway so seeing them succeeding in a bigger way than him is not surprising. But yes, even despite all those things he has been clearly underwhelming for a 1st overall pick.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
2 other REAL coaches that we got rid of.

Renney I'll give but Kruger, while I do like the body of work he's done with his short time as HC for the Oilers, it was going to be unsustainable.

He played to mitigate. He let Hall, Eberle, Nuge and Yak run wild when they needed to score and attempted to find other ways to mitigate their defensive deficiencies.

In my eyes, those 4 weren't exactly "developing"

rasarhdasd

Apr 12, 2013
I see very little chance of them signing Roy. Santorelli would have been a better fit as he could play RW more effectively and signed for nothing. I can see them inviting a forward to camp, but I doubt it'll be Roy.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
Bergeron47;106236353[B said:
]I wonder at what point this board will stop talking about Derek Roy.[/B]

He was a small, below-average defensively centerman that scored less than half a point per game on a bottom 3 team in the league.
When will we just let him go?

uh, when we have 4 Cs that are better than him, as opposed to one, and the one is 20 years old. Still not a guarantee this will be the case for 2015/16.

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010

Definitely a disappointment for a first overall, so far, but draft pedigree doesn't matter at this point. I think Yakupov can still be a useful secondary player in time.
The ceiling might not be as high as hoped but that doesn't mean he won't fill a role.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad