Player Discussion Yak Talk Part III: Trade Requested

Status
Not open for further replies.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Eberle's career GPG is a 28 goal pace. Yak not being a 30 goal scorer from the bottom 6 isn't really a fair criticism. That said, his career pace of 16 goals isn't good enough, no matter where he's playing in the lineup

It's not but Eberle is usually the player Yakupov is most compared to on this roster. I personally find it a little gross that we have 4 #1 picks and Eberle is the best goal scorer out of all of them.

In any event he shouldn't be getting less goals than Letestu or Korpikoski.

northern2020

Nov 23, 2003
Eberle's career GPG is a 28 goal pace. Yak not being a 30 goal scorer from the bottom 6 isn't really a fair criticism. That said, his career pace of 16 goals isn't good enough, no matter where he's playing in the lineup

Look guys - we all know what Yak can do and what his limitations are despite the soap opera that's gone on here for the past decade.

I think he will turn it around..

For Yak to be the biggest bust of all #1 picks - at this point looks plausible but at the same time is very unlikely.

Think of him like a cheap stock whose been beaten down and performs well at the market picks up. Timing for the trade is everything.

He will be better, I just don't think it will be here.

McDynasty

Nov 11, 2013
With the upcoming expansion draft Yak's value is probably at an all time low, what round of draft pick can we expect to get for him in a trade?

tjziel

Nov 20, 2012
London
Stick Yakupov with McDavid for the first 3 months and see if we are getting production. The first couple weeks, Yakupov was our leading scorer with McDavid before he got injured. We will get the most value out of him if he's with McDavid then to trade him. Players like McDavid or Crosby can make 3rd liners 1st liners. McDavid can at least make him play like a late 1st round pick, but if we trade him, we're only getting a second or a third rounder out him. Yak needs to learn to utilize his shot like all good goal scorer and find the open space to do those one timers ie. Ovechkin, Stamkos.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Stick Yakupov with McDavid for the first 3 months and see if we are getting production. The first couple weeks, Yakupov was our leading scorer with McDavid before he got injured. We will get the most value out of him if he's with McDavid then to trade him. Players like McDavid or Crosby can make 3rd liners 1st liners. McDavid can at least make him play like a late 1st round pick, but if we trade him, we're only getting a second or a third rounder out him. Yak needs to learn to utilize his shot like all good goal scorer and find the open space to do those one timers ie. Ovechkin, Stamkos.

I "was" a huge Yak fan with the huge potential he had and still like Yak(the person)... but he's had quite a bit of time to develop that shot and while he still may find his "groove"... I think it will be elsewhere as his learning and development process here in Edmonton has been nothing short of glacial.

McDynasty

Nov 11, 2013

I just don't think you can raise his value anymore, playing him with McDavid won't work cause most GM's know you can put anyone with McDavid and have them produce. It's a false inflation, and your expecting GM's to fall for it.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I just don't think you can raise his value anymore, playing him with McDavid won't work cause most GM's know you can put anyone with McDavid and have them produce. It's a false inflation, and your expecting GM's to fall for it.

Yak achieved "inflation" with Derek Roy. Was that false as well?

How about the knowing deflation that would result from putting a #1 pick player in the world with Mark Letestu?

I dare say some astute GM out there will be realizing that impact when considering Yaks production.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Yak achieved "inflation" with Derek Roy. Was that false as well?

How about the knowing deflation that would result from putting a #1 pick player in the world with Mark Letestu?

I dare say some astute GM out there will be realizing that impact when considering Yaks production.

Where you were drafted shouldn't equate to the standing you receive. And that was such a crap draft. Maybe one of the worst in the past 20 years.

Yak likely won't hit the ground running (he never has) and people want us to spend a third of the season hoping he produces?

Can't stress enough that Letestu and Korpikoski outscored his season.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
don't know the best place for this, but figured here was as good as anywhere

we've all heard the rumor about all the oilers scouts not wanting to draft yakupov, and wanting to draft murray instead... then the story goes that somebody from higher up (katz or tambo) over-ruled the scouts and demanded that yakupov was picked... i'd always believed it roughly 75%, figuring the truth was maybe that MOST of the scouts wanted murray, but that they were really okay with yakupov and that tambo/katz was the tie-breaker so to speak, and went with yakupov

however just yesterday i found out that this is not the case at all... essentially all of the oilers scouts were for murray, and most of them didn't want anything to do with yakupov... some even had him a few spots down on their draft boards (no, i don't know how far down).... additionally, it was tambo who came in and over-ruled them, and demanded that yakupov was picked (he could have been a mouth-piece for ownership i suppose, my source did not give that information)

mods can PM for my source if they wish, although i'm kinda guessing that i was one of the last people to really not believe this rumor, lol... i'm not really saying anything that hasn't already been said
I have a hard time believing it was Tambellini that over ruled the scouts. He gave several interviews leading up to the draft that made me think HE was leaning towards taking Murray. I got the feeling he was dropping these Murray hints to soften up the fan base that was overwhelmingly in favor of Yakupov. My guess is still that Katz overruled him in fear of a public revolt if the underwhelming Murray was taken first overall.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
I have a hard time believing it was Tambellini that over ruled the scouts. He gave several interviews leading up to the draft that made me think HE was leaning towards taking Murray. I got the feeling he was dropping these Murray hints to soften up the fan base that was overwhelmingly in favor of Yakupov. My guess is still that Katz overruled him in fear of a public revolt if the underwhelming Murray was taken first overall.

Easy on the drama.

While Katz may have overruled Tambo on the Yak pick, the leadership at the time wasn't very concerned about public reaction. Remember the Yak pick was made *before* the tier II fan comments from KLowe.

Things have changed so much for the better since Nicholson arrived.

NewBoysClub97*

All-Star
Jun 1, 2012
Vancouver

Yesterday, when Gregor did his AMA on Reddit, he said it was an owner thing. He said sometimes a GM has to stand his ground.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Easy on the drama.

While Katz may have overruled Tambo on the Yak pick, the leadership at the time wasn't very concerned abot public reaction. Remember the Yak pick was made *before* the tier II fan comments from KLowe.

Things have changed so much for the better since Nicholson arrived.

We can call it whatever you want. We don't have to use public revolt. Would you have preferred if I'd said Katz likely thought the underwhelming Murray wasn't going to be as marketable as the flashy Yakupov and worried they wouldn't sell as many jerseys?

Fans were upset just before that draft when it looked like the Oilers might be leaning towards Murray. I still listened to Stauffer back then and I remember it well. The organization clearly cared about what the fans thought. Lowe's arrogance came from him thinking nobody was blaming him for the Oilers problems. That's why he was caught so off guard on the "tier 2" day.

Last edited:

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
We can call it whatever you want. We don't have to use public revolt. Would you have preferred if I'd said Katz likely thought the underwhelming Murray wasn't going to be as marketable as the flashy Yakupov and worried they wouldn't sell as many jerseys?

Fans were upset just before that draft when it looked like the Oilers might be leaning towards Murray. I still listened to Stauffer back then and I remember it well. The organization clearly cared about what the fans thought. Lowe's arrogance came from him thinking nobody was blaming him for the Oilers problems. That's why he was caught so off guard on the "tier 2" day.

I'm tryng to remember when the Lowe, "We have all this D" comment came out and how long before not drafting Murray. Just out of curiosity. There was a period of time which continues where this org kinda felt it can just recruit D whenever it feels like it. Between Lowe and MacT the org felt they were great at doing that. Or spinning delusion..:laugh:

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I'm tryng to remember when the Lowe, "We have all this D" comment came out and how long before not drafting Murray. Just out of curiosity. There was a period of time which continues where this org kinda felt it can just recruit D whenever it feels like it. Between Lowe and MacT the org felt they were great at doing that. Or spinning delusion..:laugh:

Interesting question. I remember the quote by I don't remember the time period.

A big problem Mactavish had, and it may very well extend to Lowe too, is that when he figured he had solved a problem he never needed to worry about it again. He seemed to think the game was static and that nothing ever changed. What player A did last year will be what he does this year and next year kind of thing. That's why he was always falling behind. His concept of planning for the future didn't seem to exist.

It's likely they saw a few prospects in the system, assumed they'd all pan out and figured they didn't need to worry about it anymore.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Lets not pile on the Oilers brass for taking Yak. He was everybody's consensus pick and the vast majority wanted him to be our choice. Myself included. Sadly the scouts all saw Pavel Bure and delivered Pavel Brendl. Of all the idiotic moves by Oilers brass, the Yak pick is the most understandable. I would have made it too.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan

yes, that could very well be.... my source simply said that it was tambo that gave the news to the scouts that yakupov was going to be the pick.... he absolutely could have gotten those marching orders from katz

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Lets not pile on the Oilers brass for taking Yak. He was everybody's consensus pick and the vast majority wanted him to be our choice. Myself included. Sadly the scouts all saw Pavel Bure and delivered Pavel Brendl. Of all the idiotic moves by Oilers brass, the Yak pick is the most understandable. I would have made it too.

Very honest assessment. The reality is at the time there was very little questioning, by Oilers fans, of this pick.

Theres tons to critique this org on that has validity. This one doesn't have legs. In an entertainment based industry, and without another obvious option available, and certainly with nobody obviously better, the Oil picked Yak, which most other clubs would have done.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton

I don't think the Oilers regime of the day cared that much. I think potential jersey sales are insignificant in the drafting thought process.

Lowe was pretty much the top guy in the organization, aside from Katz, when he made the tier II fan comment. I think that's truly how he felt and any criticism that came from the undermensch, i.e. the tier II fans weren't worth his time. The backlash from the tier II fan comment played a role in the hiring of Nicholson.

Murray would have been a better choice than Yak, but he still would be one of the worst #1 overalls in the past decade had he been chosen.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
yes, that could very well be.... my source simply said that it was tambo that gave the news to the scouts that yakupov was going to be the pick.... he absolutely could have gotten those marching orders from katz

This really does go hand in hand with what we've been hearing for years. I'm guessing the scouts AND Tambellini were on the same page to draft Murray. That's why the scouts were shocked when Tambellini, at the last moment, told them the pick was Yakupov. If, through all their meetings, Tambellini wanted Yakupov then it wouldn't have been a surprise to them for him to be the pick. It really doesn't make much sense unless he was told to draft Yakupov.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I don't think the Oilers regime of the day cared that much. I think potential jersey sales are insignificant in the drafting thought process.

Lowe was pretty much the top guy in the organization, aside from Katz, when he made the tier II fan comment. I think that's truly how he felt and any criticism that came from the undermensch, i.e. the tier II fans weren't worth his time. The backlash from the tier II fan comment played a role in the hiring of Nicholson.

Murray would have been a better choice than Yak, but he still would be one of the worst #1 overalls in the past decade had he been chosen.

i disagree. This team was very much interested in selling hope back then and a flashy winger provided much more of that to the average fan than a defenceman who wasn't projected to be a number #1 guy.
Very few fans wanted Murray taken over Yakupov back then whether they're willing to admit it or not. More probably wanted Galchenyuk and there weren't many of them. There's no doubt in my mind fear of the fans disapproval played a role in upper management's decision with that pick. If the scouts and the GM wanted Murray but were overruled, then why? I can't think of any other reason other than they were afraid of fan reaction, can you?

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
i disagree. This team was very much interested in selling hope back then and a flashy winger provided much more of that to the average fan than a defenceman who wasn't projected to be a number #1 guy.
Very few fans wanted Murray taken over Yakupov back then whether they're willing to admit it or not. More probably wanted Galchenyuk and there weren't many of them. There's no doubt in my mind fear of the fans disapproval played a role in upper management's decision with that pick. If the scouts and the GM wanted Murray but were overruled, then why? I can't think of any other reason other than they were afraid of fan reaction, can you?

While I think most were excited about Yakupov, I do distinctly remember several who wanted the Oilers to consider Murray, because Edmonton needed a defenceman. I'm not saying they were in the majority, but they most definitely were there.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
While I think most were excited about Yakupov, I do distinctly remember several who wanted the Oilers to consider Murray, because Edmonton needed a defenceman. I'm not saying they were in the majority, but they most definitely were there.

This too is accurate. But it was a smaller amount and maybe 10-20% of posters preferring Murray. Anybody that was saying Murray was getting pounded on the head with 10 post rebuttals anytime Murray was suggested. Most posters wouldn't even consider Murray as a selection.

There was this notion too that as much as oilers fans have struggled that we at least deserve entertaining players and with it thought that Yak would be entertaining.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad