Player Discussion Yak Talk Part III: Trade Requested

Status
Not open for further replies.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Holy helicopter line! Talk about under serving McD.

Crosby just finished winning a Stanley Cup playing with the likes of Hornqvist and Conor Sheary (a pure AHL player)

This is a possible way, to spread the wealth out, and have different lines producing. We know McDavid produces with Maroon, with Yak.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
Do you think the Oilers would consider trading Yak to Pittsburgh for Ian Cole ($2.1M for 2 more years)?

Ironically, the Pens would like to move Cole to make room for Justin Schultz.

Cole is a bad d man on a bad contract, no thanks.

BleedingOil

Dec 4, 2006
Edmonton
Crosby just finished winning a Stanley Cup playing with the likes of Hornqvist and Conor Sheary (a pure AHL player)

This is a possible way, to spread the wealth out, and have different lines producing. We know McDavid produces with Maroon, with Yak.

Sheary showed hes much more than an AHL player

plikestechno

Mar 14, 2008
If we cant get an NHL player for him, just keep Yak and pump up his stats a little bit. The last thing we need are more picks. People can whine about Yak all they want and Yak may want to leave but he's an NHL player and we shouldn't trade him for anything other than a proven NHL player.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
If we cant get an NHL player for him, just keep Yak and pump up his stats a little bit. The last thing we need are more picks. People can whine about Yak all they want and Yak may want to leave but he's an NHL player and we shouldn't trade him for anything other than a proven NHL player.

Yak is a flawed player. He lacks the ability to play through adversity.
He is a passenger and the environment has to be just right before he can contribute at all.
Tough to apply much value to a player like that even if you pump up his stats by playing him with McDavid.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Unless Yakupov is going to be a locker room cancer you keep him on the team. His value is so low that he's not worth trading. Play him with Mcdavid for the year and then try and trade him at the TDL unless he does a complete 180 and PC wants to resign him. Then with the expansion draft if he doesn't pan out maybe the Vegas GM would claim him as a reclamation project.

plikestechno

Mar 14, 2008
Yak is a flawed player. He lacks the ability to play through adversity.
He is a passenger and the environment has to be just right before he can contribute at all.
Tough to apply much value to a player like that even if you pump up his stats by playing him with McDavid.

But he's an NHL player. This team isn't good enough to be trading NHL players for magic beans. Especially with our crappy development system and record.

Like I said, I'm fine with trading him but it has to be for an actual NHL player.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Sheary showed hes much more than an AHL player

No, he didn't really and he was often a clear weak link on that line. Last few games in particular Sharks were keying on him to turn over the puck and were lining him up with solid hits because it was the simplest thing to do. Conor Sheary is not good player, if he was here people would be complaining about him on the 4th line. That he even looked passable as an NHL player was due to Crosby, and to a lesser extent Hornqvist.
A player like Crosby, Malkin, would do backflips if they could have Yak in lineup at comparable price rather than having to hold up AHL players to fill out a lineup card.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
But he's an NHL player. This team isn't good enough to be trading NHL players for magic beans. Especially with our crappy development system and record.

Like I said, I'm fine with trading him but it has to be for an actual NHL player.

I would suggest to you that this team isnt good enough to carry a player like Yak. He is a liability.
He needs a team that can shelter him and try to create circumstances that make him comfortable enough to be able to at least contribute offensively.

That being said I am not suggesting that the team give him away. I am simply suggesting that he doesn't have a lot of real value.
I suspect he will be part of a package.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Hes done, we will get a pick for him.

A day or 2 more of discussions about him, then it will be over. Thank god.

Speak for yourself. We get crap return for this player and it'll be more than clear how misused this player was as Yak redefines his career elsewhere.

Heres what I think will happen.

The Oilers will try specifically to deal Yak to a club that has a similar mixed purview of Yak. This will be considered by both clubs as a minor deal and with both just getting rid of a player they don't want. The Oilers will do this because deep-sixing Yak with a team that won't use him adequately or feature him prominently would shelter the Oilers from the fallout of a drastic turnaround in Yaks game. But I could see that team then subsequently trading Yak to a team that would use him properly. I think we will see a two trade situation with Yak. Possibly the same day.

The Oil will end up with egg on their face. Although we already realize that.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Speak for yourself. We get crap return for this player and it'll be more than clear how misused this player was as Yak redefines his career elsewhere.

Heres what I think will happen.

The Oilers will try specifically to deal Yak to a club that has a similar mixed purview of Yak. This will be considered by both clubs as a minor deal and with both just getting rid of a player they don't want. The Oilers will do this because deep-sixing Yak with a team that won't use him adequately or feature him prominently would shelter the Oilers from the fallout of a drastic turnaround in Yaks game. But I could see that team then subsequently trading Yak to a team that would use him properly. I think we will see a two trade situation with Yak. Possibly the same day.

The Oil will end up with egg on their face. Although we already realize that.

That's a pretty big assumption that he will rebound.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
I would suggest to you that this team isnt good enough to carry a player like Yak. He is a liability.
He needs a team that can shelter him and try to create circumstances that make him comfortable enough to be able to at least contribute offensively.

That being said I am not suggesting that the team give him away. I am simply suggesting that he doesn't have a lot of real value.
I suspect he will be part of a package.

If he's still struggling, then we could always send him to the AHL no? (I believe he is still waiver exempt next year). Let him ride the bus and maybe rediscover his scoring touch.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
That's a pretty big assumption that he will rebound.

Its up to Yak. He's capable of it. He's very young, he's healthy. Put him with good players and he'll produce. Put him in a good situation and he'll leave this behind.

Again it took as little as Derek Roy to turn Yaks game around. Really given the Oilers impression of Yak, and how little they've done for their #1 pick a trade is probably the best thing for Yak.

Unless its a team run by bozos like Philly. Or Boston. Those are the two places I wouldn't want Yak to land.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
If he's still struggling, then we could always send him to the AHL no? (I believe he is still waiver exempt next year). Let him ride the bus and maybe rediscover his scoring touch.

I haven't seen any evidence to suggest he would agree to that. Working through adversity is not Yaks strong suit.He has history of what he does when the circumstances get tough.
He has already contacted his agent because he felt that he wasnt getting enough ice time at the NHL level. No inner reflection...no admission of his deficiencies...just finger pointing.

I dont have a lot of time for players like that no matter how likable their personalities are.

I think there is little to no chance that Yak has the stomach to play through the adversity of being demoted.

McDrailers

Apr 13, 2013
Newfoundland
Its up to Yak. He's capable of it. He's very young, he's healthy. Put him with good players and he'll produce. Put him in a good situation and he'll leave this behind.

Again it took as little as Derek Roy to turn Yaks game around. Really given the Oilers impression of Yak, and how little they've done for their #1 pick a trade is probably the best thing for Yak

Unless its a team run by bozos like Philly. Or Boston. Those are the two places I wouldn't want Yak to land.

Best bet for Yakupov is to land in Washington. Where systems don't matter and you can shoot everything

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Best bet for Yakupov is to land in Washington. Where systems don't matter and you can shoot everything

Where they have the puck all the damn time because they're big, fast and smart. Can't believe they came up short this year.

Losing Purcell and Eberle having some consistency issues leaves us so incredibly thin at RW. Mend that fence and hold on to Yak for this year.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Where they have the puck all the damn time because they're big, fast and smart. Can't believe they came up short this year.

Losing Purcell and Eberle having some consistency issues leaves us so incredibly thin at RW. Mend that fence and hold on to Yak for this year.

If Eberle has consistency issues what does Yakupov have...

vincent1999

May 5, 2014
Just came here to post this. This thread is full of people out to lunch on player evaluations

From: Blue Bullet Report EXPECTED DRAFT VALUE OF A FORWARD SELECTED IN THE TOP 90 OVERALL

"SECOND" ROUND PICKS
Draft Position: 34th-72nd Overall
# of picks between 1998 and 2010: 234
Percentage with at least 100 NHL games: 31%
Percentage with 100+ games and 0.50+ Pts/G: 8%
Average Games Played: 130
Average Points/Game: 0.17
Draft Position: 73rd-90th Overall
# of picks between 1998 and 2010: 94
Percentage with at least 100 NHL games: 18%
Percentage with 100+ games and 0.50+ Pts/G: 4%
Average Games Played: 58
Average Points/Game: 0.09

The value of draft picks continues to plummet as the draft continues into the mid to late third round. Forwards selected in the 73-90 range fair about half as well as those selected in the 34-72 range. With only a 1 in 5 chance of selecting a forward who plays at least 100 NHL games, the odds are low in finding an everyday forward after the mid-part of round three. This is the point in the draft where teams should be looking at moving their pick for an actual NHL role player. Since an average forward selection in this range plays 58 games and scores at a rate of 0.09 points/game, if you can trade for a depth forward that plays just 60 games for your team and scores only 6 points, one can cover their bet.

getting only a 3rd round (90+ overall pick) for Yakupov is/ would be poor asset management as Yakupov WILL exceed even the average parameters for a 2nd round in the years ahead.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
Yak will have a good career as a second-liner somewhere else where they give him the line mates he needs. You guys can come back and mock me in a few years if he doesn't but I think he will.

gqmixmaster

Jun 1, 2006

Except Yak at this point is an AHL player and one that needs to seriously rethink his game to make a mark in the NHL as he is not a goal scorer nor a playmaker - in fact I would argue Sam Gagner is a better player when he was traded to Tampa from Edmonton for cap dump Purcell and then immediately flipped for a 6th round pick (from Phoenix). If the Oilers get a 3rd for Yak then they should take that and run IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad