OT: Yahoo! Fantasy Hockey League

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
And quick question: Autodraft will get me the best ranked player available and one for each slot I have, right? Cause I may need to autodraft depending on what my thursday looks like.

Yep. And you can edit your preference lists, too, to make sure you get a player you want.

Last year I edited mine to see if it works and then didn't make it to first rounds of the draft. I was stuck with Sheppard, Kyle Turris among other great hockey players. Don't do that.

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
Eh, I'll see if I even have any preferences.

And how is draft order going to be determined?

That I don't know.

Lottery, I suppose & a snake draft.

EDIT: Per league rules:

In a live online draft, each manager selects a squad in a real-time, round-robin online meeting with the other managers in the League. During his/her turn each round, a manager selects one player to add to his/her squad, until the Team’s roster is full. The draft order reverses each round, so the manager that starts the first round ends the second, and the manager that ends the first round starts the second, and so on.

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
And quick question: Autodraft will get me the best ranked player available and one for each slot I have, right? Cause I may need to autodraft depending on what my thursday looks like.

It will just look at whoever is available and look at who is at the top of your list and take that guy.

So it is possible for them to take 6 centers with your first six picks. What with the standard two center slots and four bench spots.

At least, I am pretty sure. I have never done an autodraft fantasy hockey thing.

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
It will just look at whoever is available and look at who is at the top of your list and take that guy.

So it is possible for them to take 6 centers with your first six picks. What with the standard two center slots and four bench spots.

At least, I am pretty sure. I have never done an autodraft fantasy hockey thing.

I have the roster set to 24 players.

4 C
4 LW
4 RW
6 D
2 G

2 IR
2 Bench-spots

As I've said, I can still change these and the point ratings before the draft. I'd love some feedback, as this is my first time doing a fantasy league.

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
I have the roster set to 24 players.

4 C
4 LW
4 RW
6 D
2 G

2 IR
2 Bench-spots

As I've said, I can still change these and the point ratings before the draft. I'd love some feedback, as this is my first time doing a fantasy league.

That roster with a 16 team league is going to be insane.

Just to clarify, that means that you have 4 centers starting every day. Average team will probably have 5 centers including one of the bench spots, oofduh.

We'll have to plunder teams' actual third lines :laugh: We would have to take every player on every NHL team's first, second, and third lines by the end of the draft. And possibly some 4th line players.

Now I'm not saying that's terrible, but it can be tough with a league this big.

I'm not saying we should do this instead, but most hockey leagues I've done in the past run something like:

2C
2RW
2LW
4D
2G
1IR
4Bench, sometimes 6bench.

Doing that, if we do a 16 team league, the top two lines of every team in the NHL will be chosen, which is okay, and then you'll have some real life 3rd line guys. Which can be a bit problematic, but manageable.

Rather than having a team with guys like recently traded Anthony Stewart or someone like Kassian, the worst guys on your team will be someone like Clutterbuck or Mitchell.

Having a bigger bench can also encourage people to take fliers in late rounds on some rookies. Like Yakupov or Granlund or Galchenyuk or something.

Just my $.02. And Puhis, I do not mean to offend you or anything. If this does, I am truly, truly sorry. Being a commissioner is hard. I did it in the Wild's football league this year and wow :laugh: It's more than I was expecting.

EDIT: Also, most leagues don't do hits or blocked shots, typically because it varies from arena to arena, and it's been statistically shown that arenas like Minnesota and the Islander's place award hits far more than any other team, so if you've got a player on either team you already get an up in those categories. I'm not saying those should be dropped, but maybe consider it? Otherwise your point awarding stuff looks great.

I just looked at your idea for having 6 defensemen on a team. That can be problematic as well. In leagues I've played in that have 4 slots for D, usually half the teams in the league don't run with 4 defesemen on their roster. I usually have 5, but that's because I have such a large bench most of the time. A lot of people only have 3 D, so they can have an extra bench spot for a forward. In most leagues, D don't really do much. You get guys like Karlsson or Suter or Weber, but most of the time your 3rd or 4th picked defender on your team are guys like Paul Martin or someone of that caliber. Having to choose six defenders, you'd have guys like Scandella or Brodin on your team. Those probably aren't the worst examples ever, but it's...goofy? Sorry.

I really feel like I am nitpicking here, and I am not even an expert. I've only played fantasy hockey for 3 seasons now. And I've only done 6-7 leagues all together. Its just that some things and some ideas just aren't very common in my experience.

Last edited:

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
That roster with a 16 team league is going to be insane.

Just to clarify, that means that you have 4 centers starting every day. Average team will probably have 5 centers including one of the bench spots, oofduh.

We'll have to plunder teams' actual third lines :laugh: We would have to take every player on every NHL team's first, second, and third lines by the end of the draft. And possibly some 4th line players.

Now I'm not saying that's terrible, but it can be tough with a league this big.

I'm not saying we should do this instead, but most hockey leagues I've done in the past run something like:

2C
2RW
2LW
4D
2G
1IR
4Bench, sometimes 6bench.

Doing that, if we do a 16 team league, the top two lines of every team in the NHL will be chosen, which is okay, and then you'll have some real life 3rd line guys. Which can be a bit problematic, but manageable.

Rather than having a team with guys like recently traded Anthony Stewart or someone like Kassian, the worst guys on your team will be someone like Clutterbuck or Mitchell.

Having a bigger bench can also encourage people to take fliers in late rounds on some rookies. Like Yakupov or Granlund or Galchenyuk or something.

Just my $.02. And Puhis, I do not mean to offend you or anything. If this does, I am truly, truly sorry. Being a commissioner is hard. I did it in the Wild's football league this year and wow :laugh: It's more than I was expecting.

EDIT: Also, most leagues don't do hits or blocked shots, typically because it varies from arena to arena, and it's been statistically shown that arenas like Minnesota and the Islander's place award hits far more than any other team, so if you've got a player on either team you already get an up in those categories. I'm not saying those should be dropped, but maybe consider it? Otherwise your point awarding stuff looks great.

Nah, not offended at all. I said I'll welcome feedback, and I'm glad I've got some.

Should I put it something like:

3C
2 RW
2 LW
2 wingers (could be either side
4 D
2 G
2 IR
4 bench?

And I'm going to award hits and BLK. Even if NYI and MIN award more of those, it's not going to be a huge difference in the end. EDIT: And also because it adds value to D-men.

Any thoughts on league set-up? Right now I have it set on head-to head, points, but I could also do points only or a rotisserie, whatever the **** that means.

Last edited:

Piffles

Jul 4, 2012
I've never done fantasy hockey, but I'm in. I'll make sure I'm actually there for this draft - Team name "What a Clutterbuck", because I'm anticipating my first season to be, well... yeah.

I thought about going "Mahtomedi Zephyrs" for a fun little match against the Titans, but they're not as bad as the guys from NSP or Hill. :laugh:

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
Nah, not offended at all. I said I'll welcome feedback, and I'm glad I've got some.

Should I put it something like:

3C
2 RW
2 LW
2 wingers (could be either side
4 D
2 G
2 IR
4 bench?

And I'm going to award hits and BLK. Even if NYI and MIN award more of those, it's not going to be a huge difference in the end.

Any thoughts on league set-up? Right now I have it set on head-to head, points, but I could also do points only or a rotisserie, whatever the **** that means.

That roster looks good to me.

Not sure what rotisserie means. Head to head is probably what most people want. I've seen head to head done two ways.

The first, is the way you have set up. As an example, say I play you. The calendar starts on monday and ends on sunday.

My team, from monday to sunday, gets 120 points. Your team, from monday to sunday, gets 130 points. You win the week. Your record is then 1-0, mine is 0-1.

The other is categories. I feel like this can be more fun, but that's just me. Categories that I've played with are Goals, Assists, Goalie Wins, Goalie Save Percentage, Goalie Shutouts, Game Winning Goals, +/-, PIM, Poweplay Points, Goalie Goals against average.

So from monday to sunday, all my players play and everything they get is added up. At the end of the week, my team has netted 30 goals, 20 assists, 5 wins, a 2.30%, 0 shutouts, 2 GWG, +/- of 6, 10PIM, 1PPP, and a GAA of 3.

Your team ends up with 35 goals, 15 assists, 6 wins, 2.5%, 1 shutout, 1GWG, +/- of -5, 30PIM, 1PPP, and a GAA of 2.

Final results are based on who won what categories. There are 10 categories, so you can win 10 possible fields. You won in Goals, wins, shutouts, PIM. I won in Assists, Save percentage, +/-, GWG, and GAA. We tied in Powerplay points. So my record at the end of the week is: 5-4-1, yours would be 4-5-1.

Every week it compounds on top of each other and so on and so on. I prefer the categories set up, but that's just me. I can have fun either way.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
This is the first time I'm attending a fantasy league, so yeah.

If somebody could give me a quick summary of the rules etc. it would be much appreciated!

Last edited:

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
That roster looks good to me.

Not sure what rotisserie means. Head to head is probably what most people want. I've seen head to head done two ways.

The first, is the way you have set up. As an example, say I play you. The calendar starts on monday and ends on sunday.

My team, from monday to sunday, gets 120 points. Your team, from monday to sunday, gets 130 points. You win the week. Your record is then 1-0, mine is 0-1.

The other is categories. I feel like this can be more fun, but that's just me. Categories that I've played with are Goals, Assists, Goalie Wins, Goalie Save Percentage, Goalie Shutouts, Game Winning Goals, +/-, PIM, Poweplay Points, Goalie Goals against average.

So from monday to sunday, all my players play and everything they get is added up. At the end of the week, my team has netted 30 goals, 20 assists, 5 wins, a 2.30%, 0 shutouts, 2 GWG, +/- of 6, 10PIM, 1PPP, and a GAA of 3.

Your team ends up with 35 goals, 15 assists, 6 wins, 2.5%, 1 shutout, 1GWG, +/- of -5, 30PIM, 1PPP, and a GAA of 2.

Final results are based on who won what categories. There are 10 categories, so you can win 10 possible fields. You won in Goals, wins, shutouts, PIM. I won in Assists, Save percentage, +/-, GWG, and GAA. We tied in Powerplay points. So my record at the end of the week is: 5-4-1, yours would be 4-5-1.

Every week it compounds on top of each other and so on and so on. I prefer the categories set up, but that's just me. I can have fun either way.

Categories sounds fun, but I think I'm going to poll it. It's not a dictatorship after all.

EDIT: forgot that only mods can add polls to existing threads. FEEEEEELIIIIIX! We need you!

Piffles

Jul 4, 2012
I voted for the rotisserie. (Categories) That sounds way more interesting to me.

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
Hey Max Puhis, maybe just quote my explanation of categories vs points and add that to the first post? That way, people don't have to search for it if they don't know the difference?

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
Probably a stupid question, but this is completely free, right?

Piffles

Jul 4, 2012
Probably a stupid question, but this is completely free, right?

Yeah, otherwise I wouldn't be in on it. Some people play for money, just like with Fantasy Football, but this is a free league where all you can win is bragging rights.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
Yeah, otherwise I wouldn't be in on it. Some people play for money, just like with Fantasy Football, but this is a free league where all you can win is bragging rights.

Thats good. I'm a student, so I'm broke. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad