Speculation: Caps Roster General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines/etc) | 2023-24 Regular Season Edition

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Wilson has always had a falling down issue since he started in the league so that is nothing really to do with his recent performance. I still just don't understand how he goes and forechecks in the corner and just falls down a lot. Its like he needs to put in more leg/core work. Anyways. Probably last year I was more on the keeping of TW but at this point might as well get some value to cushion the rebuild. I still think Carbery deserves some credit for a flawed roster and dealing with the at least two centers in the top 3 lines going not panning out.

Reactions: Fred22406Capsfan

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Wilson has always had a falling down issue since he started in the league so that is nothing really to do with his recent performance. I still just don't understand how he goes and forechecks in the corner and just falls down a lot. Its like he needs to put in more leg/core work. Anyways. Probably last year I was more on the keeping of TW but at this point might as well get some value to cushion the rebuild. I still think Carbery deserves some credit for a flawed roster and dealing with the at least two centers in the top 3 lines going not panning out.
Not going to lie. I love Tom Wilson and what he did for us, and Im not a Wilson hater. I own 2 Wilson jerseys. I just feel its time to move on from him with our stage of the rebuild. Hes not going to get better, hes expensive now, and I dont see how he helps us short term. And if we are looking long term and have a chance to cash out on favorable deals we should pull the trigger.

usiel

Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Not going to lie. I love Tom Wilson and what he did for us, and Im not a Wilson hater. I own 2 Wilson jerseys. I just feel its time to move on from him with our stage of the rebuild. Hes not going to get better, hes expensive now, and I dont see how he helps us short term. And if we are looking long term and have a chance to cash out on favorable deals we should pull the trigger.
I just got a Wilson jersey myself still love what he's done but sentimental is not a great place to be.

Reactions: Fred22406Capsfan

Marshall

A ribbon reflector
Mar 13, 2002
Crystal Koons' cold, dead eyes.
twitter.com
Sounds like the same thing we’ve heard for going on 3 years now that never happens.

Generally pro-MacLellan but this stands out like a sore thumb to me also. Lots of top six talk from Honest Mac, yet no top six offensive winger.

It takes two to tango, but you can make sure your look is fresh and your breath is minty to improve your chances.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Well they didn't want to trade prospects, didn't want to trade draft picks, and their top dangles in Kuzy and Mantha were either hurt, in trouble, or stinking up the ice.

Not sure how gmbm could've gotten anything significant without giving up way too much.

Kalopsia

Jun 25, 2018
Well they didn't want to trade prospects, didn't want to trade draft picks, and their top dangles in Kuzy and Mantha were either hurt, in trouble, or stinking up the ice.

Not sure how gmbm could've gotten anything significant without giving up way too much.
Don’t forget no cap room and the constant uncertainty around Backstrom. This is the first offseason in years where they’ll have significant cap room and they (mostly, Oshie notwithstanding) know what they’re gonna get from the players already on the roster.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
On Wilson, i don’t think this is the right time to move him and double that bringing in Marner. If Oshie retires (which certainly seems possible to likely), that is a big part of the attitude and energy that exists in the room. Wilson is the other part of it. So then you are subtracting both. then add Marner who seems to NOT be a good locker room guy. That move could literally kill the room.

Talent wise, this trade would be an upgrade. Results though would absolutely suffer.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
This is what i currently have the Bears roster at. I think i am missing a defenseman that came up from SC but can’t remember who. Sutter and Iorio both out due to injury.

1715461267125.png

Reactions: usiel and Misery74

usiel

Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
On Wilson, i don’t think this is the right time to move him and double that bringing in Marner. If Oshie retires (which certainly seems possible to likely), that is a big part of the attitude and energy that exists in the room. Wilson is the other part of it. So then you are subtracting both. then add Marner who seems to NOT be a good locker room guy. That move could literally kill the room.

Talent wise, this trade would be an upgrade. Results though would absolutely suffer.
I don't think Old Man 'Vechkin would let Marner poison the room. That said I think any potential deal would have to caveat the Caps ability to resign him. I could also see Marner just not giving a crap and go to free agency following next season.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
I don't think Old Man 'Vechkin would let Marner poison the room. That said I think any potential deal would have to caveat the Caps ability to resign him. I could also see Marner just not giving a crap and go to free agency following next season.
I don’t need another Kuzy. Bye to Marner.

Reactions: ArmadilloThumb

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
Yes. There is too much evidence here with him being soft. He is a buyer beware. Same with PLD. going after Necas or Jarvis on RFA offer sheets would be a much better use of assets and cap space.

One thing for sure… this is a year GMBM can and should be very aggressive. For those pointing to Mac saying he wanted to upgrade the top six and didn’t is really just a function of not having the assets or Cap space. After two years of selling at deadline and Backstrom salary out, he has a lot to work with. I feel very confident that there will be at least one big move and maybe two this offseason.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
Yes, this all makes sense. I am sure Sharks will draft Celebrini. Not as sure about Will Smith deciding to sign with Sharks rather than going back to BC. But if both Leonard and Smith play well in worlds it could get interesting.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
I'm not an advocate of moving Wilson for Marner, but I like the idea of Marner on the Caps.

Do people not remember that Pavel Datsyuk was considered too soft for the playoffs early in his career? He didn't become the postseason stud we remember him as until his age 28 season. Marner is already way outpacing his playoff production.

Marner is the scapegoat because people don't want to blame Matthews or the real cause of their roster construction, Tavares.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad