Post-Game Talk: ECSF GAME 3 - Sunrise 6 BRUINS 2 - Florida leads series 2-1

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
Some of you are my age or older, so maybe you can correct me if my memory is wrong. But in 1991, Neely took a cheap shot from Ulf that we all know about and Milbury lost his mind, and despite us being up 2-0 in the series, he wanted revenge more and set his sights on that, and we lost 4 straight. Now, that was a damn good Pens team, so maybe they beat us anyway but the lesson I’ve remembered is play hockey not revenge.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
I personally look forward to such heavy scrutiny in game 4.

Some of you are my age or older, so maybe you can correct me if my memory is wrong. But in 1991, Neely took a cheap shot from Ulf that we all know about and Milbury lost his mind, and despite us being up 2-0 in the series, he wanted revenge more and set his sights on that, and we lost 4 straight. Now, that was a damn good Pens team, so maybe they beat us anyway but the lesson I’ve remembered is play hockey not revenge.
The trouble with this, is that these last two games Boston hasn’t done either one of those things

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
I want somebody to challenge Bennett to a fight ,end of story .He needs to answer for that dirty punch.If not fight then do something dirty to him .You cannot let him get away with that .That Penguins team was not losing to Bruins regardless by the way

frankiess

Jan 31, 2019
The lesson is ''don't take no shit, because if you do, there's more coming''. As we see now.
This should have been taken care at the beginning of the season. The Bruins don't have the guys to do that. That's on the GM.

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
I do not blame McAvoy. McAvoy's struggles (from my perspective) are more a result of poor strategic team defense. I would blame whomever is running the defense and team defensive structure.

I have seen a gradual deterioration of the team's defensive structure over the last two years as they are trying to integrate an up tempo transition game at the cost of defensive responsibility. That might work regular season but remember the playoffs are a different beast. McAvoy has not progressed as he was previously and seems to have stagnated in some areas of his game over the last couple of years. Boston is struggling because they are still trying to play a regular season defensive strategy in the playoffs, it just doesn't work.

As I've said before, and elsewhere, the playoffs are about matchups and adjustments having a game plan tailored to counteract your opponent and to make adjustments as the series progresses. You cannot just run what worked in the regular season out in the playoffs, you'll get exposed, you need to make adjustments. The playoffs are a lot more about man to man, one on one battles.

Question: what is Montgomery's game plane specifically tailored to counteract Florida? Does he have one?

I don't blame the players, I do believe they are trying. I believe in the players, I believe they are capable, I expect more from them, and believe if they play to their abilities they can turn this series around. And as we all know, some players are playing in positions above their effectiveness level. But, I do believe as a team they could be deployed differently with a strategic purpose.

Players will perform to the level of what is expected and demanded of them; that lies with clearly communicating a specific game plan, motivational coaching, instruction, and in game adjustments. It's about doing whatever has to be done to win the game, feel good feelings aside. Finesse game is for the regular season, be willing to do the dirty work.

For a player like McAvoy, or any Boston player on the ice, they don't have to be the best player on the ice, they only need to be better than the player their up against at any given moment, ... win their battles. Be the better team by winning the smaller individual battles on the ice.
Fine to hold the coaches accountable, but you can't absolve the players from simply executing poorly. It's not the coaches' fault if the players can't consistently clear the zone, win board battles or make crisp and effective passes. The coaches aren't telling them to under-perform in these areas. If the players are not executing well, what can a coach do, short of sitting them?

Reactions: lopey

Carl Hungus

Apr 20, 2022
Eh, I hate the Rangers too so not much consolation to be had there :laugh:

I'd rather pull for a western team. Of the 4 left, I'll take Colorado

I'm with ya, i'd root for western team if that happens. Can be fun to watch 2 teams you hate beat each other up though

Reactions: Gordoff

Kazcram

May 13, 2012
Shakespeare Ontario
I want somebody to challenge Bennett to a fight ,end of story .He needs to answer for that dirty punch.If not fight then do something dirty to him .You cannot let him get away with that .That Penguins team was not losing to Bruins regardless by the way
f*** that , do the same to barkov take him out with an unsuspecting hit , tit for tat . Nhl is f***ing joke its a clear sucker punch and they just ignore and not suspend Bennet , if it was Brad doing this hed be gone for the series . And once again our coach doesn't say shit . f***ing blast the league and the refs this game , the bruins probably lose anyway but the reffing has been completely one sided and embarrassing . Berube 2025

bruinsfan1968

May 6, 2019
He is a Lady Byng coach and that is not type hockey Bruins fans want or like.Both his best players have now been targets and nothing.
Not asking for much from him, but just step up when it's really needed, and take the hit for the team, by calling the officiating out.
He calls his players out, now is time to show some bite with that bark! Raise some hell, Monty! Lady Byng or not! Do it!

Reactions: Gordoff and BTO

TobanWest

Jan 28, 2020
"Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard" shows that this Bruins team, in order to win, needs to be 100% leaving it on the ice every shift. I don't see that. Marchand goes down with an injury. No reaction. Couple shots here and there then start playing hard sometime in the third, not hitting with purpose, offence has dried up and the goaltending ain't stealing games. Monty isn't adjusting or lobbying for his team. Don't have the offensive depth or speed.
I'm only mad that they aren't leaving it on the ice every shift. Only reason I'm mad. Refs will be refs, DOPS will be DOPS, coaches can be not so good at their job but you need most of the team giving it all to go deep. Florida is deeper, Rangers are the real deal. Regular season overachieved and fun to watch. We have been lucky this bridge season, hopefully we can be lucky and see a few more games.
Next season is what I'm 80% happy for and 20% stressed that this front office will be the ones rebuilding it. Lindholm can't be the big move as that doesn't change what we are seeing on the ice right now. Resigning Gryzlyk and Debrusk aren't the answers either.
Need a few Edmundson, Lauzon, Brady Tkachuk, Joshua types regardless of what the other side feels.

BruinsFanMike82

Apr 15, 2009
MA
A small dose of positivity...

The Panthers are 3-8 in their last eleven Game 4s. They've scored an average of just 1.82 Goals in those games.

The Bruins are 8-3 in their last eleven Games 4s. Their average goal differential in those games has been +1.37.

That being said ----

The Bruins' collective effort, intensity, and focus needs to be at a much higher level if they're going to win any more games in this series.

RiverbottomChuck

Jul 20, 2018
Washington DC
The more I see the Bennett sucker punch, the worse and worse it looks. What a dirty play but everyone is dismissing or applauding it because of their preconceived biases toward Marchand.
Only thing the B’s can do is even up the game by winning or even up the score by taking out one of their top guys. I don’t think they have the muscle to do the latter. Coming out game 4 and shelling Bob while playing smart hockey is their only way out not being chumped imo.

TP70BruinsCup

Let’s Go Bruins👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻
Nov 16, 2019
North of Leafland
The more I see the Bennett sucker punch, the worse and worse it looks. What a dirty play but everyone is dismissing or applauding it because of their preconceived biases toward Marchand.
It’s shocking people like to see someone get hurt that bad. I’m not crazy about a bunch of guys on Florida or Toronto for that matter……but I wouldn’t want to see Domi or Cousins break their jaw. It was a cheap shot by Bennett that didn’t get called and the NHL won’t discipline. People forget too that Brad is always out there taking his lumps. He doesn’t turtle. I hope he is ok and not just for this series, if he has a concussion that’s serious stuff for anyone - athlete or not.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Fine to hold the coaches accountable, but you can't absolve the players from simply executing poorly. It's not the coaches' fault if the players can't consistently clear the zone, win board battles or make crisp and effective passes. The coaches aren't telling them to under-perform in these areas. If the players are not executing well, what can a coach do, short of sitting them?
This is true but when u consistently see Florida put pucks around the boards to control the zone u can put a plan in place to intercept those passes. Every game they do same thing with guys in same spots.

Last edited:

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Agreed. Was hoping Forbort would be more of an asshole than Wotherspoon, but definitely not the case. Quite the opposite actually.
You are seeing same thing as me.

Agreed. Was hoping Forbort would be more of an asshole than Wotherspoon, but definitely not the case. Quite the opposite actually.
Wotherspoon made that pass to Lohrei game 1

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad